Head and Neck Cancer Services at UCLH
UCLH recently became the designated specialist centre for the treatment of head and neck cancer for the people of north and east London and west Essex. This means that patients will continue to have some of their cancer treatment at their local hospital, but may be seen at UCLH for surgery or other specialist treatment.
We work closely with local hospitals, GPs and other community services to ensure a smooth transfer of your care between different hospitals.
Highly specialised services
We are one of the largest head and neck centres in England bringing together clinicians from many specialities including, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Oncology services. As well as specialist nursing, anaesthetic and rehabilitation services. Some of the specialist services include:
- Reconstructive surgery – we offer a range of surgical procedures for reconstruction following cancer treatment to restore appearance and function.
- Pre-cancer screening – we use the latest diagnostic techniques to help detect early signs of cancer. We also screen for and treat conditions that could eventually turn into cancer.
- Minimally-invasive tumour resection - minimally invasive surgery is used when possible to remove tumours that are located near important areas. This allows patients to recover more quickly than they would with traditional, open surgery.
- Sarcoma of the head and neck – we provide surgical treatment for The London Head and Neck Sarcoma Service including major cases of skull base surgery.
- Clinical trials – we have a range of clinical trials available to our patients, pioneering new treatment approaches.
- Proton beam therapy - a new clinical facility is being built that will make UCLH one of only two NHS proton beam therapy (PBT) centres in the UK. Proton beam therapy will be used to treat a variety of head and neck cancers.