Dr Chapman qualified in 1997 from UCL Medical School and completed specialist training in London. His practice includes general gastroenterology with a specialist interest in Hepatology and Pancreatobiliary medicine. Conditions of particular interest include primary sclerosing cholangitis, IgG4 related cholangitis and pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, hereditary pancreatitis, sphincter of Oddi dysfunction, pancreatic cancer and cholangiocarcinoma. He performs general endoscopy and complex ERCP including pancreatic endotherapy and sphincter of Oddi manometry.
- Endoscopy including ERCP
- Endoscopic management of biliary and pancreatic cancer
- Pancreatic diseases including IgG4 disease
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Gallstone disease
- Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction
- Complications of chronic pancreatitis
- Biomarkers of pancreaticobiliary malignancy
- Cystic tumours of the pancreas
- Photodynamic therapy
- Chapman MH, Andreola F, Sandanayake NS, Tidswell R, Cerec V, Lee A, Swanton RC, Dooley JS & Pereira SP. Whole genome RNA expression profiling of endoscopic biliary brushings provides data suitable for biomarker discovery in cholangiocarcinoma J Hepatol 2012 Apr;56(4):877-85
- Chapman MH, Sandanayake NS, Andreola F, Dhar DK, Webster GJ, Dooley JS & Pereira SP. Circulating CYFRA 21-1 is a highly specific diagnostic and prognostc biomarker in biliary tract cancer. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2011; 1(1):6-12.
- Sandanayake NS, Sinclair J, Andreola F, Chapman MH, Xue A, Clarkson A, Gill A, Webster GJ,Norton ID, Smith RC, Timms JF & Pereira SP. Serum leucine-rich alpha-2-glycoprotein 1, CA19-9 and interleukin-6 differentiate biliary tract cancer from benign biliary strictures. Brit J Cancer, 2011 Epub
- Kalaitzakis E, Levy M, Kamisawa T, Johnson GJ, Baron TH, Topazian MD, Takahashi N, Kanno A, Okazaki K, Egawa N, Uchida K, Sheikh K, Amin Z, Shimosegawa T, Sandanayake NS, Church NI, Chapman MH, Pereira SP, Chari S &Webster GJM. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography does not reliably distinguish IgG4-associated cholangitis from PSC or cholangiocarcinoma. Clin Gastro Hep 2011; 9(9):800-803
- Wadsworth CA, Dixon PH, Wong JH, Chapman MH, McKay SC, Sharif A, Spalding DR, Pereira SP, Thomas H, Taylor-Robinson SD, Whittaker J, Williamson C & Khan SA. Genetic factors in the pathogenesis of cholangiocarcinoma. Dig Dis. 2011;29(1):93-97
- Sugumar A, Levy MJ, Kamisawa T, Webster GJ, Kim MH, Enders F, Amin Z, Baron TH, Chapman MH, Church NI, Clain JE, Egawa N, Johnson G, Okazaki K, Pearson RK, Pereira SP, Peterson BT, Read S, Sah RP, Sandanayake NS, Takahashi N, Topazian MD, Uchida K, Vege SS & Chari ST. Endoscopic retrograde pancreatography criteria to diagnose autoimmune pancreatitis: an international multicenter study. Gut 2011;60: 666-670
- Matull WR, Dhar DK, Ayaru L, Sandanayake NS, Chapman MH, Dias A, Bridgewater J, Bong JJ, Davidson BR, Pereira SP, R0 but not R1/R2 resection is associated with better survival than palliative photodynamic therapy in biliary tract cancer. Liv Int. 2010; 31(1):99-107
- Chapman MH, Kajihara M, Borges G, O’Beirne J, Patch D, Dhillon AP, Crozier A & Morgan MY. Acute severe liver injury associated with chewing khat (cath edulis). NEJM. 2010;362(17):1642-1644
- Chapman MH & Pereira SP. Cholangiocarcinoma: Improving biliary drainage with PDT. PDPDT 2009;6(2):82-83
- Pereira SP, Matull WR, Dhar DK, Ayaru L, Sandanayake NS & Chapman MH. Palliative photodynamic therapy for biliary tract carcinoma improves survival and has a similar outcome to attempted curative surgery with positive resection margins. Proceedings of SPIE. 2009: June:7380
- Sandanayake NS, Church NI, Chapman MH, Johnson GJ, Dhar DK, Amin Z, Deheragoda MG, Novelli M, Winstanley A, Rodriguez-Justo M, Hatfield AR, Pereira SP & Webster GJ. Presentation and Management of Post-treatment Relapse in Autoimmune Pancreatitis / Immunoglobulin G4-Associated Cholangitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;7(10):1089-96
- Chapman MH & Sanderson IR. Intestinal flora and the mucosal immune system. Probiotics in Children, Annales Nestle, 2003;6/12.
- Garland J, Buscombe JR, Bouvier C, Bouloux P, Chapman MH, Chow AC, Reynolds N & Caplin ME. Sandostatin LAR (long-acting octreotide acetate) for malignant carcinoid syndrome: a 3 year experience. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003;17(3):437-44
- Robertson KE, Chapman MH, Adams A, Tickle C, Darling SM. Cellular Analysis of the Mouse Mutant Hypodactyly. Developmental Genetics 1996;19:9-25
Published abstracts not listed.