Neal Navani qualified in Medicine from Cambridge and UCL in 2000 with distinction and several University prizes. He trained in Respiratory Medicine at the Brompton and Hammersmith Hospitals before winning a Medical Research Council Fellowship in 2008 and completing his PhD at UCL in 2011. He has also completed an MSc in Clinical Trials at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Dr Navani was appointed as a Consultant in Thoracic Medicine at University College London Hospital in 2011 with a specialist in patients with lung cancer and bronchoscopy. He runs the regional Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) service at UCLH.
Dr Navani runs several clinical trials on the diagnosis and staging of lung disease and bronchoscopic techniques. He holds honorary positions at the Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit and University College London and is also a member of the UCLH early lung cancer detection and surveillance programme. His research is patient focussed and aims to improve the patient experience and outcomes.
Dr Navani has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and is the co-author of a textbook on respiratory disorders. He is an invited member of a NICE technology assessment group, the British Thoracic Society guideline development group for bronchoscopy and is a peer reviewer for many journals including Thorax.
1. Utility of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration in patients with tuberculous intrathoracic lymphadenopathy: a multicentre study. Navani N, Molyneaux PL, Breen RA, Connell DW, Jepson A, Nankivell M, Brown JM, Morris-Jones S, Ng B, Wickremasinghe M, Lalvani A, Rintoul RC, Santis G, Kon OM, Janes SM. Thorax. 2011 Oct;66(10):889-93.
2. Endobronchial ultrasound guided trans-bronchial needle aspiration for the diagnosis of intra-thoracic lymphadenopathy in patients with extra-thoracic malignancy: a multi-centre study. Navani N, Nankivell M, Woolhouse I, Harrison RN, Munavvar M, Oltmanns U, Falzon M, Kocjan G, Rintoul RC, Janes SM. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2011
3. Combining endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration with standard bronchoscopic techniques for the diagnosis of stage I and II pulmonary sarcoidosis. Navani N, Booth HL, Kocjan G, Falzon M, Capitanio A, Brown JM, Porter JC, Janes SM. Respirology. 2011; 16(3): 467-72.
4. The Learning Curve for EBUS-TBNA. Navani N, Nankivell M, Nadarajan P, Kocjan G, Pereira SP, Janes SM. Thorax. 2011; 66(4): 352-3.
5. PET Scanning is important in lung cancer; but it has its limitations. Navani N and Spiro SG. Respirology. 2010; 15(8): 1149-51
6. Inaccurate clinical nodal staging of non-small cell lung cancer: evidence from the MRC LU22 multicentre randomised trial. Navani N, Nankivell M, Stephens RJ, Parmar MK, Gilligan D, Nicolson M, Groen HJ, van Meerbeeck JP. Thorax. 2010 May;65(5):463
7. Preoperative integrated PET-CT scanning reduces the number of futile thoracotomies for lung cancer. Navani N. Thorax. 2009 Dec;64(12):1089
8. Endoscopic procedures for the diagnosis of sarcoidosis. Navani N and Shah PL. Sarcoidosis .
9. Mediastinal staging of NSCLC with endoscopic and endobronchial ultrasound. Navani N, Spiro SG, Janes SM. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2009; 6: 278-86
10. EBUS-TBNA for the mediastinal staging of non-small cell lung cancer. Navani N, Spiro SG, Janes SM. Journal of Thorac Oncol 2009; 776.
11. Symptoms and signs of lung cancer. Navani N and Spiro SG. Eur Resp Mon. 2009: 44: 71-87.
12. Diagnostic endoscopic procedures for lung cancer. Navani N and Janes SM. Eur Resp Mon. 2009: 44: 136-49.
13. Lung cancer staging with minimally invasive endoscopic techniques. Navani N, Janes SM, Spiro SG. JAMA. 2008 4;299(21):2509.
14. Contemporary issues in lung cancer imaging. Navani N and Janes SM. Br J Cancer 2008; 98: 855
15. A high number of transmissions of H7N7 avian influenza A virus to humans. A Lung Alert. Navani N. Thorax 2004;59;:395. Other publications:
16. Induction Chemotherapy and Continuous Hyperfractionated Accelerated Radiotherapy (CHART) for Patients with locally Advanced Inoperable Non-small-cell Lung Cancer: The MRC INCH Randomized Trial. Hatton M, Nankivell M, Lyn E, Falk S, Pugh C, Navani N, Stephens RJ, Parmar M. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Oct 5 In Press.
17. Squamous cell cancers contain a side population of stem-like cells that are made chemosensitive by ABC transporter blockade. Loebinger MR, Giangreco A, Groot KR, Prichard L, Allen K, Simpson C, Bazley L, Navani N, Tibrewal S, Davies D, Janes SM. Br J Cancer. 2008 Jan 29;98(2):380-7.
Books and book chapters:
18. Self-assessment Text in Respiratory Medicine. Editors and Co-authors: Spiro SG, Albert R, Brown JS, Navani N. Manson Publishing, 2011.
19. Oxford Handbook of Key Clinical Evidence. Respiratory Medicine chapter. Navani N and Ind PW. Oxford University Press. 2008
20. The Multidisciplinary Management of Lung Cancer. Symptoms and signs of lung cancer. Navani N and Spiro SG. 2008