I was awarded a scholarship to Pembroke College, Cambridge University to read Medicine in 1984, and transferred to Oxford University in 1987 to complete my clinical training, qualifying in 1990. I trained in Oxford, London and Cambridge and obtained the FRCS in General Surgery. I then specialized in ENT surgery and trained on the East Anglia rotation, obtaining the FRCS (Otolaryngology) and the FRCS-ORL. I attended a number of leading hospitals in Europe and Australia to complete my training, and was appointed as Consultant Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital in 2002.
I received an MD degree for my thesis on matrix metalloproteinases in rhinitis from the University of London in 2004.
My areas of special interest include Ear Surgery, Cochlear Implants and Paediatric ENT surgery, and I am one of the main providers of Paediatric ENT services at the RNTNEH.
Research interests include the restoration of hearing, advances in cochlear implant surgery and other implantable hearing devices.
I am an assistant editor for the Journal of Laryngology and Otology. I am actively involved in teaching, and regularly lecture on courses at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, the UCL Ear Institute, and at the Royal College of Surgeons of England.
1) Shaida A.M., Wong C. "The Dissecting Room- Student’s Attitudes". Clinical Anatomy, Vol 6, Part 4, June 1993 (Abstract).
2) Shaida A.M., Bottrill I.D. "Recent Advances in the Use of Lasers in Otolaryngology". Indian State Journal of Otolaryngology, Vol. 2, No. 1, June 1996 pp 5-9
3) Shaida, A.M., Siddiqui, N. “Diagnostic Quiz- Tuberculosis of the Mastoid” Archives of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery March 1998 124(3): 341-43
4) Shaida A.M., Bottrill I.D. "Recent Advances in the Use of Lasers in Otolaryngology". Guest Editorial, Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 50, No. 3, July 1998 pp 222-229
5) Shaida, A., Pender, S., McDonald, T.,Kenyon, G., Devalia, J., Davies, R. Metaloproteinases and their inhibitors in the nasal mucosa in perennial allergic rhinitis. Allergologie 11:560 (Abstract)
6) Shaida, A., Kenyon, G.S., Pender, S.L.F., McDonald, T.T., Devalia, J.L., Davies, R.J. “Matrix Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the nose.” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, July 1999, Supplement 23, p 53 (Abstract)
7) Shaida, A., Kenyon, G., Kalan, A. “Treatment of external nasal valve (alar rim) collapse. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, July 1999, Supplement 23, p 48 (Abstract)
8) Harar, R.P.S., Shaida, A., Kenyon, G.S. “The reproducibility of acoustic rhinometry and peak inspiratory flow in assessment of nasal function. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, July 1999, Supplement 23, p 51 (Abstract)
9) Pender S.L., McKenzie C., Shaida A., MacDonald T.T. “Regulation of matrix metalloproteinases in human intestinal mucosa” Ann N Y Acad Sci Jun 1999 30;878:581-2
10) Harar R.P., Shaida A.M., Kenyon G.S. “Nasal Dilator Strips” Laryngoscope Jan 2000 110(1):178-9
11) Shaida, A.M., Kenyon, G.S. “The Nasal Valve”. Rhinology Mar 2000 38(1):7-12
12) Shaida, A.M., McFerran, D.J., da Cruz, M., Hardy, D.G., Moffat, D.A. Cavernous haemangioma of the internal auditory canal. JLO June 2000
13) “Matrix Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the nasal mucosa in perennial allergic rhinitis” A.Shaida, G.Kenyon, J.Devalia, R.J.Davies, T.T.MacDonald, S.L.F.Pender. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001 Nov;108(5):791-6.
14) “Schwannomatosis in a child- or early Neurofibromatosis type 2?” Shaida, A.M., O’Donovan, D.G., Moffat, D.A. JLO 2002 Jul;116(7):551-5.
15) MD Thesis: “Matrix Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the nasal mucosa in perennial allergic rhinitis”- University of London, 2004.
16) Book Chapter – "Diseases of the Ear, Nose and Throat", J. Kanagalingham, A. Shaida, in "Medicine and Surgery- An Integrated Textbook", E. Lim et al, pub. Elsevier July 2007.
17) Shaida, A.M. Yung, M.W. "Neurofibroma of the pinna." Ear Nose Throat J. 2007 Jan;86(1):36-7, 44.