The Hospital was founded in 1930 by George Eastman, founder of the Eastman Kodak Company. He set up similar hospitals in New York State, Paris, Stockholm, Brussels and Rome. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948, the Eastman became an independent postgraduate teaching hospital and the Institute was established. In 1996 the Eastman Dental Hospital became part of UCLH Trust.
The Eastman is the only postgraduate dental hospital in the United Kingdom. Dentists from all over the world come to the hospital to take advanced training. All forms of dental treatment are undertaken from the straightforward and simple treatment to the most advanced techniques in dentistry.
Dental Nurse Training has been established since 1950 and celebrated its 60th Anniversary in September 2010. All pre and post registration courses are accredited with the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses. Click for more information.
The School of Dental Hygiene opened on its present site in February 1985 after the closure of the School of Dental Hygiene at St. George’s Hospital, Tooting (associated with the Royal Dental Hospital). In 1992, the School was expanded and in September 1995, the School commenced its first two-year dental hygiene training programme in line with all other Schools of Dental Hygiene in the United Kingdom. In September 1998, the Eastman began to train dental therapists. A new joint School for Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy was established. Click for more information.
Eastman Dental Hospital Education Centre opened on June 1 2013, joining the Education & Training (Accredited) Assessment Centre for Dental Nurses and the School of Dental Hygiene & Dental Therapy to form the Eastman Dental Hospital Education Centre. Through resource and good practice sharing, the new education department aims to offer high quality education for student Dental Care Professionals, both pre and post-registration, together with the provision of excellent patient care.