The cochlear implant programme was founded in 1982, and we were the first clinical cochlear implant programme in the UK. The team has been involved with the successful implantation of more than 600 children and adults from all over the UK.
Our experience means that we offer a safe, reliable service meeting all current national standards.
- We offer a specialist service to people from a wide age range - from babies just a few months old, to adults over the age of 80.
- We view continuity of care as very important, and children with implants are able to transfer directly to our adult team at the same site.
- We are a highly specialist multi-disciplinary team with experience of working with people with varying degrees of hearing loss.
- We aim to be accessible to people from all social, cultural and linguistic backgrounds. We are experienced in using both spoken language and sign language interpreters.
- Where possible we offer our patients a choice of the three most widely used commercially available cochlear implant systems.
- We offer and support the use of bilateral cochlear implants in accordance with the NICE Guidelines.
- We are actively involved in research and in the application of research to clinical practice.