This clinic specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of adult patients with allergic conditions.
Our team consists of doctors, a specialist dietitian, a nurse and an occupational therapist.
Depending on the severity and duration of the condition, the clinic aims to:
- Provide a diagnosis. This will include the use of skin prick tests and blood tests
- Control symptoms
- Help improve your well-being and energy levels
- Help you to manage your condition better
Hay fever caused by grass or tree pollen
- Bee or wasp venom allergy
- House dust mite allergy
- Animal allergies, such as cats and dogs
- Eczema (dermatitis)
- Urticaria (hives) and angioedema (swelling of lips, eyelids)
- Food allergy and intolerance
Dietary management may be helpful in some conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, migraine, chronic fatigue syndrome, or in those on restricted diets.
Learning self-management strategies
- Avoiding allergy triggers
- Dietary changes
- Medications such as asthma inhalers, nasal sprays, antihistamines, adrenaline injectors
- Subcutaneous immunotherapy (“desensitisation”). A three-year course of injections of gradually increasing doses of allergy-causing substances (such as pollens, bee and wasp venom, house dust mite) for conditions such as severe hay fever, bee or wasp sting allergy.
- Advice on complementary medicine use
This clinic does not undertake patch testing for eczema or contact dermatitis or drug allergy diagnosis and treatment. This is provided by the UCLH Dermatology service.
If you are unable to attend your appointment please let us know at least 48 hours beforehand so we can offer your appointment to someone else. If you do not attend your appointment without telling us we may refer you back to your GP.
Following your treatment you will be referred back to your GP.
The RLHIM is also a teaching hospital and from time to time other healthcare professionals may observe in outpatient clinics as part of a training course. We will always ask your permission for students to sit in during your consultation. You do not have to have students present if you would prefer not to.