Trust timeline 

Background history

The hospitals which form part of this Trust today or which have contributed to its past development were all originally established as charities; voluntary and specialist hospitals which relied on public donations and subscriptions for their income. The oldest of these is The Middlesex Hospital, founded in 1745. It was one of the five voluntary general hospitals which were established in London during the 18th century, the others being Westminster (1719), Guy's (1721), St. George's (1733), and the London (1740) Hospitals. All the hospitals were concerned with helping out the poorer sections of London society, who could not afford to pay for medical treatment.

These hospitals, and others like them, generally obtained much of their income from subscribers, who donated a regular amount of money to the upkeep of the hospital and received a share in the management of the hospital in return. In 1948, the National Health Service was established, bringing most of hospitals in the UK under the direct control of the Government, funded by public taxation. Hospitals were grouped together into regional hospital management committees or teaching hospital groups. The NHS has been reorganised several times since its inception in 1948.

Below are listed significant dates for all the hospitals that form or have at one time formed part of University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Click on the links for more detailed information.  

 

1745 Foundation of The Middlesex Infirmary.
1746 The Middlesex Infirmary changes its name to The Middlesex Hospital.
1755 Foundation stone laid for the new Middlesex Hospital building on Mortimer Street.
1757 The new Middlesex Hospital is opened
1792 The first cancer wards are established at The Middlesex.

Wards are set aside for French Emigré clergy.
1816 Foundation of the The Royal Ear Hospital
1821 The Seamen's Hospital Society founds a hospital ship, The Dreadnought, moored at Greenwich.
1826 Foundation of University College London.
1828 Opening of the University Dispensary.
1834 Opening of North London Hospital.
1835 Foundation of The Middlesex Hospital Medical School.
1837 North London Hospital changes its name to University College Hospital.
1843 Foundation of The Hospital for the Diseases of Women, Red Lion Square.
1846 First operation performed under anaesthetic at UCH.
1849 Foundation of London Homoeopathic Hospital.
1852 Hospital for Women moves to Soho Square.
1857 Foundation of Heart Hospital.
1859 Foundation of the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic
1860 Foundation of the Hospital for Stone.
1863 The Hospital for Stone moves to Berners Street and changes its name to St Peter's Hospital for Stone.
1866 Foundation of St Mary's Dispensary for Women.
Foundation of the Maida Vale Hospital for Epilepsy and Paralysis and other Diseases of the Nervous System.
1870 The Seamen's Hospital moves onto dry land at Greenwich.
1872 St Mary's Dispensary for Women changes its name to the New Hospital for Women and moves to Marylebone Road.
1873 Foundation of the London Temperance Hospital, Gower Street.
1874 Central London Throat and Ear Hospital opens
1875 Foundation staone laid for the Central London Throat and Ear Hospital on site on Grey’s Inn Road
1882 Opening of new St Peter's Hospital building, Henrietta Street.
1885 Opening of the new London Temperance Hospital building.
1890 New Hospital for Women moves to Euston Road. Foundation of the Albert Dock Hospital.
1897 Foundation of St Paul's Hospital for Skin and Genito-urinary Diseases.
1899 Foundation of the London School of Tropical Medicine.
1900 First suprapubic protatectomy by Sir Peter Freyer.
1901 First X-ray Department at The Middlesex established.  
1904 The Dispensary for Diseases of the Ear changed its name to the Royal Ear Hospital 
1906 The new University College Hospital (the Cruciform building) opens.  
1914 National Dental Hospital merges with University College Hospital.
1917 Death of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson.
1918 The New Hospital for Women changes its name to the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital.
1920 Foundation of Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Endsleigh Gardens. Royal Ear Hospital merges with UCH.  
1923 The Middlesex Hospital is found to be falling down. Foundation stone laid for the Obstetric Hospital and the new nurses' home. St Paul's Hospital moves to Endell Street.  
1926 Opening of Obstetric Hospital, new UCH nurses' home and residents' quarters.  
1928 Foundation stone of The Middlesex Hospital laid.
1930 Foundation of Eastman Dental Clinic.
1931 Opening of the new nurses' home (named John Astor House in 1948).
1932 The London Temperance Hospital changes its name to the National Temperance Hospital.
1935 Opening of the rebuilt Middlesex.
1939 Evacuation of the Hospital for Tropical Diseases.
1942 Central London Throat and Ear Hospital and the Hospital for Disease of the Throat amalgamate to form The Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital
1947 The Hospital for Tropical Diseases opens, Devonshire Street.
1948 Establishment of the National Health Service.
1951 Hospital for Tropical Diseases moves to St Pancras
1952 Sheffield Street Hospital joins St Peter's and St Paul's as St Phillip's Hospital.
1962 EGA joins the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
1965 Opening of Arthur Stanley House on Tottenham Street.
1967 The Ministry of Health buys the French Hospital.  It becomes the Shaftsbury Hospital and joins the St Peter's Group of hospitals.
1968 The National Temperance Hospital joins the University College Hospital Group.
1970 Opening of Cecil Flemming House.
1974 Reorganisation of the NHS.
1982 Creation of Bloomsbury Health Authority.
1983 Maida Vale Hospital closes and all services are transferred to the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, having already amalgamated with it in 1948
1984 Eastman Dental Hospital, National Hospitals and The National Heart and Chest Hospitals were all made Special Health Authorities.
1988 The National Hospital for Nervous Diseases changes its name to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
1989 Amalgamation of the Hospital for Women and the EGA.
1991 The Heart Hospital closes.
1992 St Peter's Group amalgamates with The Middlesex.
1994 Creation of UCLH NHS Trust.
1996 The Eastman Dental Hospital and the National Hospital join UCLH.
1997 The Heart Hospital reopens as a private hospital.
1999 Closure of HTD at St Pancras. Services are transferred to the Patrick Manson Unit, Mortimer Market.
2001 The Heart Hospital is bought by UCLH. Services from the EGA are transferred to the Obstetric Hospital on Huntley Street.
2002 The Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital joins UCLH.
2004 UCLH becomes an NHS Foundation Trust.
2005 Opening of the new state-of-the-art UCH. Services are transferred from HTD, Cecil Flemming House and The Middlesex. Demolition of Cecil Flemming House begins.
2006 The Middlesex site is sold.
2008 The new Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing opens.
2010 The Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital changes its name to the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine.
2012 The Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital transfers to UCLH
University College Hospital Macmillan Cancer Centre opens
2014 The Rosenheim Building closes and demolition work begins to make way for new cancer and surgery services, including the proton beam therapy centre
2015 Cardiac services transfer from The Heart Hospital to Barts Health. The Heart Hospital is renamed UCH at Westmoreland Street.
2016 Demolition of the Royal Ear Hospital begins to make way for the new throat, nose and ear and dental facility

 

 Timeline quick links