Amitava Banerjee is associate professor in clinical data science at University College London, and honorary consultant cardiologist at University College London Hospitals and Barts Health NHS Trusts. He is a researcher, educator and clinician with interests spanning data science, cardiovascular disease, global health, training and evidence-based healthcare, and more recently risk associated with underlying chronic diseases during the COVID-19 pandemic.
After qualifying from Oxford Medical School, he trained as a junior doctor in Oxford, Newcastle, Hull and London. His interest in preventive cardiology and evidence-based medicine led to a Masters in Public Health at Harvard (2004/05), an internship at the World Health Organisation (2005) and DPhil in epidemiology from Oxford (2010). He was clinical lecturer in cardiovascular medicine at the University of Birmingham, before moving to UCL in 2015.
He works across two busy tertiary care settings with both inpatient and outpatient commitments. Although he is subspecialised in heart failure, he has ongoing practice in acute general cardiology and a keen interest in the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation. His clinical work very much informs his research and vice versa, whether in the evaluation of medical technology, study of cardiovascular disease in under-served populations, disease phenotypes in electronic health records or now COVID-19.
- Cardiovascular and non-communicable disease epidemiology
- Cardiovascular informatics
- Cardiovascular and non-communicable disease prevention
- Cardiovascular global health
- Banerjee A, Pasea L, Harris S, Gonzalez-Izquierdo A, Torralbo A, Shallcross L, Noursadeghi M, Pillay D, Sebire N, Holmes C, Pagel C, Wong WK, Langenberg C, Williams B, Denaxas S, Hemingway H. Estimating excess 1-year mortality associated with the COVID-19 pandemic according to underlying conditions and age: a population-based cohort study. Lancet. 2020 May 30;395(10238):1715-1725. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30854-0. Epub 2020 May 12. PMID: 32405103.
- Banerjee A, Katsoulis M, Lai AG, Pasea L, Treibel TA, Manisty C, Denaxas S, Quarta G, Hemingway H, Cavalcante JL, Noursadeghi M, Moon JC. Clinical academic research in the time of Corona: A simulation study in England and a call for action. PLoS One. 2020 Aug 13;15(8):e0237298. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0237298. eCollection 2020. PMID: 32790708
- Clark A, Jit M, Warren-Gash C, Guthrie B, Wang HHX, Mercer SW, Sanderson C, McKee M, Troeger C, Ong KL, Checchi F, Perel P, Joseph S, Gibbs HP, Banerjee A, Eggo RM; Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases COVID-19 working group. Global, regional, and national estimates of the population at increased risk of severe COVID-19 due to underlying health conditions in 2020: a modelling study. Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Aug;8(8):e1003-e1017. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30264-3. Epub 2020 Jun 15.
- Sundaram V, Bloom C, Zakeri R, Halcox J, Cohen A, Bowrin K, Briere JB, Banerjee A, Simon DI, Cleland JGF, Rajagopalan S, Quint JK. Temporal trends in the incidence, treatment patterns, and outcomes of coronary artery disease and peripheral artery disease in the UK, 2006-2015. Eur Heart J. 2020 May 1;41(17):1636-1649. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehz880. PMID: 31883328
- Banerjee A, Benedetto V, Gichuru P, Burnell J, Antoniou S, Schilling RJ, Strain WD, Ryan R, Watkins C, Marshall T, Sutton CJ. Adherence and persistence to direct oral anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation: a population-based study. Heart. 2020 Jan;106(2):119-126. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2019-315307. Epub 2019 Oct 10.PMID: 31601729.
- Al-Shakarchi NJ, Evans H, Luchenski SA, Story A, Banerjee A. Cardiovascular disease in homeless versus housed individuals: a systematic review of observational and interventional studies. Heart. 2020 Jul 14:heartjnl-2020-316706. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2020-316706. PMID: 32665359
- Banerjee A, Allan V, Denaxas S, Shah A, Kotecha D, Lambiase PD, Joseph J, Lund LH, Hemingway H. Subtypes of atrial fibrillation with concomitant valvular heart disease derived from electronic health records: phenotypes, population prevalence, trends and prognosis. Europace. 2019 Dec 1;21(12):1776-1784. doi: 10.1093/europace/euz220. PMID: 31408153
- Jidkov L, Alexander M, Bark P, Williams JG, Kay J, Taylor P, Hemingway H, Banerjee A. Health informatics competencies in postgraduate medical education and training in the UK: a mixed methods study. BMJ Open. 2019 Mar 30;9(3):e025460. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025460. PMID: 30928942
- Lip GYH, Banerjee A, Boriani G, Chiang CE, Fargo R, Freedman B, Lane DA, Ruff CT, Turakhia M, Werring D, Patel S, Moores L. Antithrombotic Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest. 2018 Nov;154(5):1121-1201. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2018.07.040. Epub 2018 Aug 22. PMID: 30144419
- Howard DP, Banerjee A, Fairhead JF, Hands L, Silver LE, Rothwell PM; Oxford Vascular Study. A Population-Based Study of Incidence, Risk Factors, Outcome and Prognosis of Ischaemic Peripheral Arterial Events: Implications for Prevention. Circulation. 2015 Nov 10;132(19):1805-15. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.016424. Epub 2015 Sep 8. PMID: 26350058