Dr Himender Makker is a consultant physician in respiratory and general medicine at the North Middlesex University and University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He has special interest in sleep disorders, lung cancer and asthma.
He provides sleep study service and manages wide range of sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnoea and obesity hypoventilation syndrome. He has developed protocols for management of sleep disorders, provides specialist training in sleep medicine, runs sleep medicine courses and published extensively including book chapters and a book on case histories in sleep medicine.
He has led busy lung cancer service since 1997 and supported national lung cancer audit, clinical trials and published a book on case histories in lung cancer.
He trained in general and respiratory medicine at Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham University Hospitals and obtained specialist experience in sleep disordered breathing and asthma (brittle and occupational).
He worked as clinical research fellow at Southampton University for DM thesis into mechanisms of exercise induced asthma.
He is examiner for Royal College of Physicians, Malta Medical School and St. Georges University School of Medicine, Grenada.
He peer reviews original research articles and grant applications for MRC and NIHR, chairs scientific sessions at respiratory conference (APSR, ERS) and member of peer review sub-committee of American Thoracic Society.
Dr Makker established a sleep research group in collaboration with neuropsychologists and medical physicists to investigate neuropsychological impairment in sleep apnoea. The research was funded by the CDRC grant, presented at the conferences, published in peer review journals and contributed to MD.
1. Case History in Lung Cancer; Himender Makker, Adam Ainley, Sanjay Popat, Julian Singer, Martin Hayward and Antke Hagena, Oxford University Press November, 2018.
2. Perioperative Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea: Editor -Vladimir Macavei, Himender Makker - Co-Author Lambert Academic Publishing June 2017
3. Case histories in Sleep Medicine Himender Makker, Matthew Walker, Hugh Selsick, Bhik Kotecha, and Ama Johal: Oxford University Press. Published March 2015
1. Makker HK. Epidemiology of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. In: Manual on TB, HIV and Lung Health” 2009; 516-533. Editor Professor VK Arora
2. Makker HK. Light induced Fluorescence Endoscopy (LIFE)-System and constraints. In: Practical Approach to Critical Respiratory Medicine” 2006; 517-521 Editor Professor VK Arora
3. Makker HK. Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. In: Practical Approach to Critical Respiratory Medicine. 2006; 614-620 Editor Professor VK Arora
4. Makker HK, Holgate ST. Immune Response in Human Pathology: Hypersensitivity In; A Textbook of Immunopharmacology Editors: Professor Nijkamp & Dr Parnham 1997
5. Makker HK, Holgate ST. Pathophysiology: Role of Mediators in Exercise-induced asthma. Allergic and Respiratory disease in Sports Medicine, 1994 Editor Professor JM Weiler
6. Beasley R, Makker HK, Holgate ST A critique of single mediator based interventions: Alternative approach to future therapy In; Lipid mediators in Allergic Disease of the Respiratory Tract. Editor C Robinson, 1993
1. Brown J, Makker HK. An approach to excessive daytime sleepiness in adults. BMJ. 2020 Mar 27; 368:m1047. doi: 10.1136/bmj.m1047. PubMed PMID: 32220833.
2. Elliott K, Makker H. Red flag refreshers Breathlessness. Pulse September 2020. https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical-feature/clinical-areas/respiratory/red-flag-refreshers-breathlessness/
3. Faber s, Makker H An approach to management of hypercapnic respiratory failure Foundation Training Journal Nov 2018
4. McDermott R, Makker R Key Questions in sleep apnoea Pulse Learning Respiratory Medicine 2017
5. Jaydev A, Law S, Makker HK Early Diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. Foundation Year Journal 2015; Volume 9, Issue 4; 20-26.
6. Ainley A, Makker HK The impact of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea in Pregnancy. Foundation Year Journal 2015; Volume 9, Issue 4; 42-48.
7. Mangera Z, Panesar G, Makker H. Practical approach to management of respiratory complications in neurological disorders. Int J Gen Med. 2012; 5:255-63.
8. Panesar K, Pfeffer P, Makker H. Invasive and Non-Invasive Ventilation-Good Clinical Care. Foundation Year Journal October 2011(5):39-43
9. Dharama R, Zammit C, Makker H. Prevalence and Predictors of Sleep Apnoea. International Journal of Respiratory Care 2011:19-22
10. Zammit C, Liddicoat H, Moonsie I, Makker H. Obesity and respiratory diseases. Int J Gen Med. 2010; 3:335-43
11. Liddicoat H, Zammit C, Makker H. Driving and Sleep Apnoea. International Journal of Respiratory Care 2010:23-26.
12. Simcock D, Makker HK. Management of Obstructive sleep apnoea. Foundation Year Journal 2009; 3; 40-45.
13. Astin R, Makker HK. Case based discussion Haemoptysis. Foundation Year Journal 2009; 17-21.
14. Makker HK, Holgate ST. Mechanisms of Exercise-Induced Asthma. Eur J Clin Invest: 1994; 24:1402-1408.
15. Makker HK, Montefort, Holgate ST. Investigative use of fibre-optic bronchoscopy in asthma for local airway challenge. Eur Respir J 1993; 6:1402-1408.
Original papers and case reports
1. Spurling KJ, Perks JL, Makker HK. Misleading sleep-diagnostic results in a patient with variable nasal airflow obstruction. Sleep Science (2015), doi:10.1016/j.slsci.2015.05.001.
2. Navani N, Nankivell M, Lawrence DR, Lock S, Makker H, Baldwin DR, Stephens RJ, Parmar MK, Spiro SG, Morris S, Janes SM; Lung-BOOST trial investigators. Lung cancer diagnosis and staging with endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration compared with conventional approaches: an open-label, pragmatic, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Apr;3(4):282-9.
3. Macavei VM, Spurling KJ, Loft J, Makker HK. Diagnostic predictors of obesity-hypoventilation syndrome in patients suspected of having sleep disordered breathing. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013Sep;9(9):879-84.
4. Spurling KJ, Makker HK. Reliability of patient self-assessment for Modified Mallampati Score. J Clin Sleep Med. 2010 15; 6(2):207.
5. Makker HK, Brown JP, Borgstein R, Hayward M, Griffith JS. Under pressure. Lancet. 2008 Aug 30;372:776.
6. Tachtsidis I, Cooper CE, McGown AD, Makker H, Delpy D.T, Elwell C.E. Changes in cerebral total haemoglobin volume and cytochrome oxidase redox state during deep apnoeas in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. Biomedical Optics 2006 Technical Digest
7. McGown AD, Makker H, Elwell C, Al Rawi PG, Valipour A, Spiro SG. Measurement of changes in cytochrome oxidase redox state during obstructive sleep apnea using near-infrared spectroscopy. Sleep. 2003 Sep; 26(6):710-6.
8. Valipour A, McGown AD, Makker H, O'Sullivan C, Spiro SG. Some factors affecting cerebral tissue saturation during obstructive sleep apnoea. Eur Respir J. 2002 Aug; 20(2):444-50.
9. Valipour A, Makker HK, Hardy R, Emegbo S, Toma T, Spiro SG. Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux in subjects with a breathing sleep disorder. Chest. 2002; 121(6):1748-53.
10. Kothari P, Aly HS, Makker HK. A solitary pulmonary cystic mass resulting from hydatid disease mimicking a pericardial cyst. Hosp Med. 2001 Oct; 62(10):640-1
11. McGown AD, Makker HK, Battagel JM, L'Estrange PR, Grant HR, Spiro SG. Long-term use of mandibular advancement splints for snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea: a questionnaire survey. Eur Respir J. 2001 Mar; 17(3):462-6.
12. Makker HK, Ayres JG. Work-related asthma in an aircraft engine mechanic. Respir Med. 1999 Jan;93(1):69-70.
13. Wales D, Makker H, Kane J, McDowell P, O'Driscoll BR. Systemic bioavailability and potency of high dose inhaled corticosteroids: a comparison of four inhaler devices and three drugs in healthy adult volunteers. Chest. 1999 May; 115(5):1278-84.
14. Makker HK, Springall DR, Redington AE, Ghatei MA, Bloom SR, Polak JM, Howarth PH, Holgate ST. Airway endothelin levels in asthma: influence of endobronchial hypertonic saline challenge. Clin Exp Allergy. 1999 Feb;29(2):241-7.
15. Rajakulasingam K, Makker HK, Howarth PH, Holgate ST. Cross refractoriness between bradykinin and hypertonic saline challenges in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1995 Oct;96(4):502-9.
16. Makker HK, Chisholm R, Rate AJ, Bancewicz J, Bernstein A. Dysphagia due to secondary achalasia as an early manifestation of squamous cell carcinoma. Postgrad Med J. 1995 Aug;71(838):502-4.
17. Makker H, Kishen R, O'Driscoll R. Atropine as premedication for bronchoscopy. Lancet. 1995 Mar 18;345(8951):724-5.
18. Makker HK, Walls AF, Goulding D, Montefort S, Varley JJ, Carroll M, Howarth PH, Holgate ST. Airway effects of local challenge with hypertonic saline in exercise-induced asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1994 Apr;149(4 Pt 1):1012-9.
19. Makker HK, Holgate ST. The contribution of neurogenic reflexes to hypertonic saline-induced bronchoconstriction in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1993Jul; 92(1 Pt 1):82-8.
20. Makker HK, Lau LC, Thomson HW, Binks SM, Holgate ST. The protective effect of inhaled leukotrieneD4 receptor antagonist ICI 204,219 against exercise-induced asthma. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993 Jun;147(6 Pt 1):1413-8.
21. Makker HK, Holgate ST. Relation of the hypertonic saline responsiveness of the airways to exercise-induced asthma symptom severity and to histamine or methacholine reactivity. Thorax. 1993 Feb;48(2):142-7.
22. Makker HK, Barnes PC. Fatal haemoptysis from the pulmonary artery as a late complication of pulmonary irradiation. Thorax. 1991 Aug;46(8):609-10.
23. Capewell S, Ali NJ, Makker H, Cockwell P, Davies DP, Rogers S, Gray M, Gillies A. Radial artery puncture: a comparison of three haemostatic techniques. Respir Med. 1990 Nov; 84:495-7.
24. Makker H, McConnochie K, Gibbs AR. Post irradiation pulmonary fibrosis complicated by aspergilloma and bronchocentric granulomatosis. Thorax. 1989Aug; 44(8):676-7.