Following graduation from medical school in Hannover, Germany, in 1991, I started a specialist training in paediatrics. My training experience was mainly in Germany, but I also gained experience working at the University of East Carolina, USA, University of Manitoba, Canada, and University Hospital Graz, Austria. In 1998 I was awarded the German and European Specialist Registration and following specialist consultant work in Hannover and Doha, Emirate of Qatar, I moved to the UK.
As a GMC registered specialist I worked in acute and community paediatrics in West Hertfordshire until 1999.
A second specialisation followed from 1999 to 2004. This audiovestibular medicine training took me after two years at Great Ormond Street Hospital to The Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, Royal Surrey County Hospital to the National Hospital for Neurology amd Neurosurgery. Following an acting up consultant position for three months and award of specialist registration in audiovestibular medicine in 2004, I became a fulltime consultant in paediatric audiovestibular medicine. I now work for the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust and as part of the UCLH team at the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital.
Since 2004 I have been leading the Paediatric Audiology and Audiovestibular Medicine Service for Barnet and Enfield.
I was awared my MSc in Audiovestibular Medicine in 2003.
Hallpike Prize BAAP 2003
BAPA Research Prize 2009
- Paediatric audiology and audiovestibular medicine
- Auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder
- Healthcare improvement
- Auditory evoked potentials
- Detection of hearing loss beyond the newborn hearing screening
- Glue ear – Otitis Media with Effusion (OME)
Active roles held:
- 9 PA NHS Consultant in Paediatric Audiovestibular Medicine;
- Children's Directorate Lead for Clinical Governance (Royal Free London NHS FT);
- Council Member and Trustee of The British Society of Audiology;
- Chair of the Paediatric Audiology Interest Group of BSA;
- Chair of Children's Hearing Services Working Group for Barnet;
- Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health Specialist Question Writing Group Member;
- Royal College of Physicians Payment by Results (PbR) Group Member;
- Royal College of Physicians Record Standards Programme Member;
- British Association of Audiovestibular Physicians PbR-Group Chair;
- QIPP Lead for Women’s & Children’s Division (Royal Free London NHS FT)