• consultant urological surgeon at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust July 2015 - Present
• Honorary associate professor, UCL
• Specialist robotic surgery and uro-oncology practice. Honorary consultant at Barts Health.
• NIHR North Thames Clinical Research Network, urology lead. Jan '16 to present
• Associate editor Uro-oncology- British Journal of Urology International Knowledge, July '15 to present
• Royal College of Surgeons of England, fellow in robotic urological surgery at The Lister Hospital, August 2014 - July 2015
• NIHR clinical lecturer in urology at Cambridge University, June 2010 - August 2014
• Specialist registrar at North London/East of England Deanery, September 2006 - June 2010
• MD - “An Investigation into the Prevention and Treatment of Androgen Independence in Adenocarcinoma of the Prostate”. 2007 University of London.
• MBBS - Barts and the Royal London 1999
• BSc - Experimental pathology- University of London 1998
- Leading national RCT – NeuroSAFE PROOF study- To evaluate the use of frozen section analysis during radical prostatectomy to promote nerve sparing and improve quality of life
- Confocal microscopy to improve outcomes with urological surgery
- Circulating tumour cells in prostate cancer
- Use of MRI in planning robotic prostatectomy
Peer reviewed papers
1. HISTOP-06-20-0478 - NeuroSAFE Technique - pathological considerations and practical implications to guide nerve-sparing surgery in prostate cancer patients. E Dinneen, A Hayder, GL Shaw, In Press Histopathology 2020
2. Targeting the ERG oncogene with splice-switching oligonucleotides as a novel therapeutic strategy in prostate cancer Sean Porazinski, Lisa Hobson, Susan Heavey, Aiman Haider, Ashwin Sridhar, Greg Shaw, John Kelly, Alex Freeman, Ian Wilson, Elmar Nurmemmedov, Hayley Whitaker, Sebastian Oltean and Michael Ladomery BJC In Press 2020
3. NeuroSAFE PROOF Randomised Controlled Feasibility Study:Brief Report of Perioperative outcomes, histological concordance and feasibility. E Dinneen, , GL Shaw In Press, Eur Urol 2020
4. Intraoperative Frozen Section for margin evaluation during Radical Prostatectomy: A Systematic Review. Eoin Dinneen, MIchelle van der Slot, Kelvin Adasonla, Jin Tan, Jack Grierson, Aiman Haider, Alex Freeman, and Greg Shaw Eur Urol Focus, In Press 2020
5. Xu L, Mao X, Grey A, Scandura G, Guo T, Burke E, Marzec J, Abdu S, Stankiewicz E, Davies CR, Rajan P, Tipples K, Hines J, Chan PY, Campbell D, Wilkinson K, Kudahetti S, Shamash J, Oliver T, Berney D, Shaw G, Lu YJ. Reply by Authors. J Urol. 2019 Oct 3
6. Non-invasive detection of clinically significant prostate cancer using circulating tumor cells. Xu L, Mao X, Grey A, Scandura G, Guo T, Burke E, Marzec J, Abdu S, Stankiewicz E, Davies CR, Rajan P, Tipples K, Hines J, Chan PY, Campbell D, Wilkinson K,Kudahetti S, Shamash J, Oliver T, Berney D, Shaw G, Lu YJ. J Urol 2019 PMID: 31389764.
7. Use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and biopsy data to guide sampling procedures for prostate cancer biobanking. S Heavey, A Haider, A Sridhar, H Pye, G Shaw, A Freeman, H Whitaker. JOVE video journal, In Press 2019
8. Thompson JE, …Shaw GL, et al. Pathological Findings and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Concordance at Salvage Radical Prostatectomy for Local Recurrence following Partial Ablation Using High Intensity Focused Ultrasound. J Urol. 2019;201(6):1134-43.
9. Re:”What is the role of NeuroSAFE in robotic radical prostatectomy?” Journal of Robotic surgery. Dinneen E,..Shaw GL In Press 2019
10. Massive Ascites Following Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy and Extended Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection: A Case Report Ahmed S, Shaw G, Alkadhi O 27 Jun 2019 https://doi.org/10.1089/cren.2018.0080
11. Dinneen E, Haider A, Allen C, Freeman A, Briggs T, Nathan S, Brew-Graves C, Grierson J, Williams NR, Persad R, Oakley N, Adshead JM, Huland H, Haese A, Shaw G. NeuroSAFE robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy versus standard robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy for men with localised prostate cancer (NeuroSAFE PROOF): protocol for a randomised controlled feasibility study. BMJ Open. 2019 Jun 11;9(6):e028132. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028132. PubMed PMID:31189680
12. Heavey S PEOPLE: PatiEnt prOstate samPLes for rEsearch, a tissue collection pathway utilising MRI data to target tumour and benign tissue in fresh radical prostatectomy specimens. The Prostate, In Press 2019
13. C Bailey, RM Bourne, B Siow, EW Johnston, M Appayya.. G L Shaw, A Sridhar, DJ Hawkes, S Punwani, DC Alexander, E Panagiotaki VERDICT MRI validation in fresh and fixed prostate specimens using patient-specific molds for histological and MR alignment. NMR in Biomedicine. In press 2019
14. Dutto L, Ahmad A, Urbanova K, Wagner C, Schuette A, Addali M, Kelly J.D, Sridhar A, Nathan S, Briggs T.P, Witt J. H, Shaw GL Development and validation of a novel risk score for the detection of insignificant prostate cancer in unscreened patient cohorts. British Journal of Cancer 2018 119, 1445–1450
15. A. Warren, C. Massie, ..GL. Shaw, .. M Asim Feedback between the PDZ binding kinase and androgen receptor drives prostate cancer. Oncogene.2018 Sep 20 PMID:30237440. Oncogene, 2018
16. T. Oliver, P.Wilson, W, Ansell, T, Philp, F. Chinegwundoh, J. Shamash, G Shaw A prospective audit of intermittent anti-androgen verses pituitary blockade suggests a Bipolar Androgen type strategy may be safe in untreated Prostate Cancer. Urol Int. 2017 Dec 22. PMID: 29275414.
17. AN Sridhar, M Abozaidi, P Rajan, P Sooriakumaran, G Shaw, S Nathan, JD Kelly, T Briggs Surgical Techniques to Optimize Early Urinary Continence Recovery Post Robot Assisted Radical Prostatectomy for Prostate Cancer. Curr Urol Rep (2017) 18: 71 PMID: 28718165
18. Learning curves for robotic surgery: a review of the recent literature. Mazzon G, Sridhar A, Busuttil G, Thompson J, Nathan S, Briggs T, Kelly J, Shaw GL, Curr Urol Rep. 2017 Sep 23;18(11):89. Review. PubMed PMID: 28942572.
19. Asim M. Zecchini HI, Massie CE, Shaw GL,.. Neal DE. Synthetic Lethality between Androgen receptor signaling and PARP pathway in Prostate Cancer. Nat Commun. 2017 Aug 29;8(1):374. PMID: 28851861
20. Xu L, Mao X, Guo T, Chan PY, Shaw G, Hines J, Stankiewicz E, Wang Y, Oliver T, Ahmad A, Berney D, Shamash J, Lu YJ. The novel association of circulating tumor cells and circulating megakaryocytes with prostate cancer prognosis Accepted Clinical Cancer Research 2017 Sep 1;23(17):5112-5122. PMID: 28615267.
21. Bourne RM, Bailey C, Johnston EW, Pye H, Heavey S, Whitaker H, Siow B, Freeman A, Shaw GL, et al. Apparatus for Histological Validation of In Vivo and Ex Vivo Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Human Prostate. Front Oncol. 2017 Mar 24;7:47. PubMed PMID: 28393049
22. Tan W, …..Shaw G, Kelly JD Blood Transfusion Requirement and not Preoperative Anaemia is associated with Perioperative Complications following Intracorporeal Robotic Assisted Radical Cystectomy. J Endourol. 2017 Feb;31(2):141-148. PMID: 27901350.
23. Johnston T, Shaw GL, Donovan J, Hamdy F, Neal DE, PSA screening improves outcome for men with locally advanced and high risk prostate cancer. Data from the ProtecT trial. European Urology 2017 Mar;71(3):381-388 (In the top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric)
24. Tan WS, Lamb B, Tan MY, Ahmad I, Sridhar A, Nathan S, Hines J, Shaw G, Briggs T, Kelly J. An in depth critical analysis of complications following robotic assisted radical cystectomy with intracorporeal urinary diversion. Eur Urol Focus. 2017 Apr;3(2-3):273-279. PMID: 28753745.
25. Basetti M, Shaw G, Neal D, Warren A, Griffiths J. Response of Degarelix treatment in human prostate cancer monitored by HR-MAS1H NMR spectroscopy. Metabolomics (2016) 12:120 PMID: 27429605
26. D Thurtle, GL Shaw, V Gnanapragasam. Evolution and oncological outcomes of a contemporary radical prostatectomy practice in a UK regional tertiary referral centre. BJU Int. 2016 Apr 28.PMID 27124625
27. Shaw GL, Whitaker H, Corcoran M, Warren A, Neal DE, The rapid effects of castration on human prostate cancer. Eur Urol. 2015 Nov 10 PMID: 26572708
28. Ross-Adams H, Lamb AD, Shaw GL et al. CamCaP Study Group. Integration of copy number and transcriptomics provides risk stratification in prostate cancer: A discovery and validation cohort study. EBioMedicine. 2015 Jul 29;2(9):1133-44. PMID: 26501111.
29. Vasdev N, Agarwal S, Rai BP, Soosainathan A, Shaw G, Chang S, Prasad V, Mohan-S G, Adshead JM. Intraoperative frozen section of the prostate to reduces the risk of positive margin whilst ensuring nerve sparing in patients with Intermediate and high-risk prostate cancer undergoing robotic radical prostatectomy – First Reported UK Series. Curr Urol. 2016 May;9(2):93-103. PMID: 27390582
30. Asim M, Massie C, Orafidiya F, Shaw G and Neal DE. Choline kinase alpha is an Androgen Receptor Chaperone and Prostate Cancer Therapeutic Target. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015 Dec 11;108(5). 2016 May. PMID:26657335
31. Thomas BC, Kay JD, Menon S, Vowler SL, Dawson SN, Shaw GL, Neal DE, Whitaker HC. Whole blood mRNA in prostate cancer reveals a 4-gene androgen regulated panel. Endocrine related cancer 2016 Oct;23(10):797-812. PMID: 27578825.
32. Pertega-Gomes N, Vizcaino JR , Felisbino S, Warren AY, Shaw GL, Fryer L, Neal DE and Massie CE. MCT2 protein over-expression throughout prostate cancer progression impacts on oncogenic signaling and malignant phenotypes. Oncotarget 2015 Jun 2. PMID:26035357
33. Shaw GL, Thomas B, Dawson S, Srivastava G, Vowler S, Gnanapragasam V, Shah N, Warren A, Neal D. Identification of pathologically insignificant prostate cancer is not accurate in unscreened men. Br J Cancer. 2014 May 13;110(10):2405-11. PMID: 24722183
34. Sooriakumaran P, Srivastava A, Shariat SF, Shaw G, Roobol MJ, Tewari AK Multinational, Multi-institutional Study Comparing Positive Surgical Margin Rates Among 22,393 Open, Laparoscopic, and Robot-assisted Radical Prostatectomy Patients. Eur Urol. 2013 Nov 24. PMID: 24290695.
35. Lewis D, Boren J, Shaw GL, Bielik R, Ramos-Montoya A, Larkin T, Martins C, Neal DE, Soloviev D, Brindle K. Late imaging with [1-11C]acetate PET improves tumour contrast. J Nucl Med. 2014 Apr 28, PMID: 24777291.
36. A.Ramos-Montoya, A Lamb, R. Russell, V. Theodorou, J. Boren, H.Bon, M.Vias, Shaw GL, N.L Sharma, H.E Scott, SL Vowler, T Carroll, CE Massie, WJ Howat, AY Warren, R. Wooster,I Mills, D.E. Neal. HES6 drives a critical AR transcriptional programme to induce castration-resistant prostate cancer through activation of an E2F1-mediated cell cycle network. EMBO Mol Med. 2014 May 1;6(5):651-61. PMID: 24737870
37. Shaw GL. Science made simple- Polymorphism- RFLPs and SNPs, BJU International 09/2013; 112(5).
38. Shaw GL, Hussain M, Nair R, Bycroft J, Beltran L, Green JS, Powles T, Peters JL, Performing cytoreductive nephrectomy following targeted Sunitinib therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma- a surgical perspective Urol Int. 2012;89(1):83-8.. PMID: 22614181.
39. Gnanapragasam V, Shaw GL, Mason M, Neal D, Optimal therapy for high risk localised prostate cancer - should surgery be an option or a preferred primary treatment? BJU Int. 2011 Sep 27. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10596.x. PMID: 21951841
40. Boyd L, Xue L, Mao X, Li D, Beltran L, Shaw GL, Hines J, Chaplin T, Berney DM, Bryan D. Young BD, Lu YJ. High-resolution genome-wide copy-number analysis suggests a monoclonal origin of multi-focal prostate cancer. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2012 Jun;51(6):579-89. PMID: 22334418.
41. Rouse P, Shaw GL, Ahmed H, Freeman A, Allen C, Emberton M. Multi-parametric Magnetic Resonance Imaging to rule-in and rule-out clinically important prostate cancer in men at risk: a cohort study. Urol Int. 2011;87(1):49-53. PMID: 21701136
42. Vasiljevi? N, Wu K, Brentnall A, Kim DC, Thorat MA., Kudahetti S, Mao X, Xue L, Yu Y, Shaw GL, Beltran L,. Lu YJ, Berney D, Cuzick J and Lorincz AT.Absolute Quantitation of DNA Methylation of 28 Candidate Genes in Prostate Cancer using Pyrosequencing. Dis Markers. 2011;30(4):151-61 2011. PMID: 21694441
43. Shaw GL, Nair R, Peters J. Minerva, BMJ 2010;341:c3525
44. Shaw GL, Ioannou I, Gelister J, Briggs T. Management of Vesico Urethral Anastamosis Disruption after Radical Prostatectomy. Urol Int 84, No. 4, pp 436-439, 2010, PMID: 20224267
45. Nair R, Holdroyd D, Shaw GL, Gelister J. Reducing false passages: a novel technique for difficult urethral catheterization. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010; 92: 259, PMID: 20425888
46. Tuffaha H, Shaw GL, Briggs T. Augmented bladder appearance under blue light, J Endourol. Journal of Endourology. June 2010, 24(6): 943-944. PMID: 20367243
47. Dukic I, Shaw GL, Hussein M, Maraj B. A comparison of handwritten to computerised urological operative notes. Brit J. Med Surg Urol..(2010) 3,22-24
48. Shaw GL and Bunce C. Flourescence Cystoscopy- How to do it. Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy. (2008) 5, 267—270 PMID:19356669
49. Shaw GL., Emberton M.E, Morgan R, Berney D., Cuzick J, Oliver R.T.D. Patient designed therapy provides possible “natural” selection evidence for testosterone as differentiating agent for high grade prostate cancer. Brit J. Med Surg Urol. 2009 July 2 (4) 171-173.
50. Shaw GL and Oliver RTD. Intermittent hormone therapy and its place in the contemporary endocrine treatment of prostate cancer. J Surg Onc. Mar 2009 PMID:19269165
51. Ahmed HU, Ishaq A, Zacharakis E, Shaw GL, Illing R, Allen C, Kirkham A,Emberton M. Rectal fistulae after salvage high-intensity focused ultrasound for recurrent prostate cancer after combined brachytherapy and external beam radiotherapy. BJU Int. 2008 Nov 18. 321-3 PMID:19021611
52. Shaw GL and Prowse DM. Inhibition of androgen independent prostate cancer cell growth is enhanced by combination therapy targeting Hedgehog and ErbB signaling Cancer Cell Int. 2008 Mar 18;8:3. PMID:18348720
53. Shaw GL, Ktori E, Price AM, Bisson I, Purkis P, McFaul S, Oliver RTD and Prowse DM. Hedgehog Signalling in Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer. European Urology 2008 Dec;54(6):1333-43. PMID:18262716
54. Mao X, Shaw GL, James SY, Purkis P, Kudahett SK, Tsigan T, Kia1 S, B Young BD, Oliver RTD, Berney D, Prowse DM and Lu YJ. Detection of TMPRSS2:ERG fusion gene in circulating prostate cancer cells. Asian Journal of Andrology 2008 May;10(3):467-73. PMID:18385909
55. Shaw GL and Patel HRH. Transdermal Oxybutynin: a review. Expert Opinion in Pharmacology 2007 Jun;3(3):435-9. PMID: 17539749
56. Shaw GL, Wilson P, Cuzick J, Prowse DM, Goldenberg SL, Spry N, Oliver RTD. International study into the use of intermittent therapy in the treatment of carcinoma of the prostate (ISICAP), a meta-analysis of 1446 patients. BJUi 2007 May;99(5):1056-65. PMID: 17346277 Cited as a highlight of Urology. Framingham on Urology. Issue 2 2007
57. Shaw GL, Purkiss T, Oliver RT, Prowse DM. Re: Christine McKillop. Interview with Jack Schalken: PCA3 and its Use as a Diagnostic Test in Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol 2006;50:153-4. PMID:17049717
58. Shaw GL., Wah TM, Kellett M, Choong S.: Management of renal-vein perforation during a challenging percutaneous nephrolithotomy. J Endourol, 19: 722, 2005 PMID:16053363
59. Symes A, Shaw GL, Corry, D, Choong S.: Pelvi-calyceal height, a predictor of success when treating lower pole stones with extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. Urol Res, 33: 297, 2005 PMID:15937708
60. Shaw GL, Choong SK, and Fry C.: Encrustation of biomaterials in the urinary tract. Urol Res, 33: 17, 2005 PMID:15614579
61. Khan MA, Shaw GL, and Paris AM.: Is microscopic haematuria a urological emergency? BJU Int, 90: 355, 2002 PMID 12175388
62. Martin JE. and Shaw GL.: Phenotype analysis in neurological models of human disease. Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol, 24: 83, 1998 PMID 9634201
63. Jones M, Shaw GL, Roberts G, Sharaf A: Pre-hospital treatment of acute myocardial infarction by GPs: Audit trends,4: 91-94. 1996
Book chapters and other publications
1. Swiniarski P, Raheem A, Shaw G, Ralph D, Core Curriculum for the European Exam In General Cardiology, Oxford University Press 2017
2. Swiniarski P, Raheem A, Shaw G, Ralph D, MCQs for the European Exam In General Cardiology. Oxford University Press 2017
3. Shaw GL and Neal D, Chapter 73 The Prostate and Seminal Vesicles. Bailey and Love’s Short Practice of Surgery 27th Edition. Edward Arnold 2016
4. Shaw GL. Neal DE. “Molecular Biology of Prostate cancer”, in Tewari A Prostate Cancer: A Comprehensive Perspective Elselvier 2011
5. Shaw GL and Neal D, Chapter 73 The Prostate and Seminal Vesicles. Bailey and Love’s Short Practice of Surgery 26th Edition. Edward Arnold 2011
6. Hammond T, Ollivere, Shaw GL, Vasudevan M and Gladman M. “Last minute revision for the MRCS clinical problem solving EMQ paper”, Pastest UK, 2006.