Peter Andrews, consultant ENT and head and neck surgeon, was appointed to the Royal National Throat Nose and Ear Hospital (now the Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals) in 2005. He has a sub-speciality interest in rhinology and facial plastic reconstructive surgery. He undertook his undergraduate medical degree at University College Hospital and Middlesex School of Medicine including an intercalated BSc in anatomy and nerve regeneration.
His higher surgical training was completed in the North Thames Deanery. He was awarded the Joseph fellowship from the European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery in 2005.
His main clinical areas of interest include nasal airway reconstruction and facial reanimation surgery. He has co-designed and implemented a tertiary referral facial function clinic at the RNENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals (RNENTEDH).
He has an expanding interest in sinonasal neoplasia and other aspects of anterior skull base surgery. He is an honorary consultant surgeon at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN) and is an active member of its monthly skull base MDT. He runs a weekly ENT clinic at Whittington Health and is the clinical lead for the walk-in urgent referral clinic at the RNENTEDH. He is secretary for the RNTNEH consultant forum and the surgical lead in the successful LEAN process for surgical activity.
For the last five years he has been a tutor and course director at the EAR Institute, involved in design and delivery of several national and international courses. He is an educational supervisor for core surgical ENT trainees at the RNENTEDH and has successfully attained a funded advanced rhinology fellow.
He is council member and membership officer for the rhinology/head and neck section of the Royal Society of Medicine (RSM).
His scientific research interests include facial nerve regeneration and anosmia and is collaborating with the NHNN on a muticentre study looking at olfactory mucosa and its morphology . His clinical research interests include outcome measurements in nasal airway surgery and facial reanimation surgery.
- Novel strategies in brachial plexus repair after traumatic avulsion. C Kachramanoglou M.B.B.S.1, Daqing Li Ph.D.1, P Andrews F.R.C.S.2, C East F.R.C.S. 2, T Carlstedt M.D. 1, 4, G Raisman D.Phil.1, D Choi F.R.C.S., Ph.D.1,3 British Journal of Neurosurgery, February 2011; 25(1): 16-27.
- Chong MS, Woolf CJ, Andrews P, Turmaine M, Schreyer PJ and Anderson PN. The down regulation of GAP 43 (Growth Associated Protein 43) is not responsible for the failure of regeneration in freeze killed nerve grafts, in the rat. Experimental Neurology 1994; 129:311-320.
- Andrews P and Seeley PJ. Synthesis of plasminogen activators by late embryonic rat hippocampi. Proceedings of the Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland 1990; 56.
- Nouraei SA, Elisay AR, Dimarco A, Abdi R, Majidi H, Madani SA, Andrews PJ. Variations in paranasal sinus anatomy. Indications for the pathophysiology of chronic rhinosinusitis and safety of endoscopic sinus surgery. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 Feb;38(1):32-7.
- Gane S, East C, Jayaraj S, Andrews P. Rolled auricular cartilage grafts for dorsal augmentation rhinoplasty. J Laryngol Otol. 2006 Oct 19;:1-3
- Andrews PJ, East CA, Jayaraj SM and Badia L. A Prospective Randomised Trial comparing the efficacy of prophylactic and postoperative antibiotics in complex rhinoplasty surgery. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, 2006 Mar-Apr;8(2):84-7.
- Lavy J, East CA, Bamber A and Andrews PJ. Gold weight implants in the management of lagophthalmus in facial palsy. Clinical Otolaryngology 2004; 29:1-5.
- Merton L, Andrews PJ, Upile T and Graham JM. A Prospective Randomised Controlled Trial evaluating the effects of alcohol on the psychophysical responses during cochlear implant mapping. Clinical Otolaryngology 2005; 30:328-332.