Mr Charalampoudis is an expert oncoplastic and reconstructive breast cancer surgeon. He offers breast surgery including pre-pectoral mesh-assisted immediate breast reconstruction as well as a wide range of Level II advanced mammoplasty approaches, in order to combine sound oncological resections with excellent aesthetics.
Mr Charalampoudis trained in surgery in the UK, Greece, France and Belgium. He obtained his Certificate of Completion of Training in Surgery with Distinction from the Athens Prefecture. He has accomplished a PhD with distinction in breast cancer at the Athens University School of Medicine and a fellowship at the prestigious Oncoplastic Breast Unit at Guy's and Saint Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, where he was also appointed consultant, clinical lecturer and governance lead prior to moving to UCLH and Whittington in 2018.
He is also serving as examiner and qualified accreditor in breast surgery for the European Board of Breast Surgery. He has authored 3 book chapters and 37 Pubmed-indexed international peer-reviewed publications.
Mr Charalampoudis has worked towards establishing surgical innovation as regards wireless surgery in breast conservation and axillary de-escalation in node positive breast cancer. He is fellow of the European Board of Breast Surgery, fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and has been involved in large UK-wide landmark research projects such as the TeaM and IBRA-2 studies.
- Advanced breast conserving surgery, axillary de-escalation
- Use of novel tracers in sentinel biopsy
- The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the time to delivery of adjuvant therapy: the iBRA-2 study. O'Connell RL, Rattay T, Dave RV, Trickey A, Skillman J, Barnes NLP, Gardiner M, Harnett A, Potter S, Holcombe C; iBRA-2 Steering Group; Breast Reconstruction Research Collaborative. Br J Cancer. 2019 Apr;120(9):883-895. doi: 10.1038/s41416-019-0438-1. Epub 2019 Mar 29.
- Controversies and recommendations regarding sentinel lymph node biopsy in primary breast cancer: A comprehensive review of current data. Charalampoudis P, Markopoulos C, Kovacs T. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2018 Jan;44(1):5-14. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2017.10.215. Epub 2017 Nov 13.
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for early breast cancer. Charalampoudis P, Karakatsanis A. Lancet Oncol. 2018 Mar;19(3):e128. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30115-3.
- Surgery for liver metastases from breast cancer. Charalampoudis P, Mantas D, Sotiropoulos GC, Dimitroulis D, Kouraklis G, Markopoulos C. Future Oncol. 2015;11(10):1519-30. doi: 10.2217/fon.15.43.
- Results from the BRIOS randomised trial. Kovacs T, Charalampoudis P, Hout BAI', Dumitru D, Kothari A. Lancet Oncol. 2017 Apr;18(4):e190. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30165-1.
- Therapeutic mammaplasty is a safe and effective alternative to mastectomy with or without immediate breast reconstruction. Potter S, Trickey A, Rattay T, O'Connell RL, Dave R, Baker E, Whisker L, Skillman J, Gardiner MD, Macmillan RD, Holcombe C; TeaM and iBRA-2 Steering Groups, the Breast Reconstruction Research Collaborative, and the Mammary Fold Academic and Research Collaborative. Br J Surg. 2020 Jun;107(7):832-844. doi: 10.1002/bjs.11468. Epub 2020 Feb 19.
- The "Yin and Yang" of Platelet-rich Plasma in Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy or Lumpectomy for Breast Cancer. Spartalis E, Tsilimigras DI, Charalampoudis P, Karachaliou GS, Moris D, Athanasiou A, Spartalis M, Bolkas V, Dimitroulis D, Nikiteas N. Anticancer Res. 2017 Dec;37(12):6557-6562. doi: 10.21873/anticanres.12112.
- Blue dye for identification of sentinel nodes in breast cancer and malignant melanoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Peek MC, Charalampoudis P, Anninga B, Baker R, Douek M. Future Oncol. 2017 Feb;13(5):455-467. doi: 10.2217/fon-2016-0255. Epub 2016 Aug 31.
- High-intensity focused ultrasound in the treatment of breast fibroadenomata (HIFU-F trial). Peek MCL, Ahmed M, Scudder J, Baker R, Charalampoudis P, Pinder SE, Douek M; HIFU-F Collaborators. Int J Hyperthermia. 2018 Nov;34(7):1002-1009. doi: 10.1080/02656736.2017.1373865. Epub 2017 Oct 2.