Other contact information
Telephone: 020 3456 1040
Dental Nurse Education
EDH Education Centre
L3, Mortimer Market Centre
The Eastman Dental Hospital Education Centre provides continual professional development for dental nurses, including pre- and post-registration and other certificated courses.
The Eastman currently offers an NEBDN certified Dental Sedation Nursing course and an NEBDN Oral Health Education course.
We are in the process of developing our programme of post registration courses, if you would like to register to receive information on new courses please email: uclh.
Many dental patients experience a high level of anxiety or may have a phobia about receiving dental treatment which can prevent them from accessing the necessary treatment required to ensure that their dental and oral health needs are met. For this reason, many dental settings offer the delivery of dental treatment using conscious sedation to help these patients with their anxieties and phobia and create a more comfortable and positive dental experience.
EDHEC offers the Dental Sedation Nursing Certificate course is suitable for all dental nurses working in NHS, community, or private dental settings. The underpinning knowledge is aligned to the NEBDN Dental Sedation qualification and meets the sedation training guidance as required within the Intercollegiate Advisory Committee for Sedation in Dentistry (IACSD 2020) guidance document
Course learning outcomes
Upon completion of training the dental sedation nurse will be able to:
- Support the patient safely and effectively in all aspects of conscious sedation including preparation, in treatment monitoring, recovery and discharge.
- Prepare and maintain the clinical environments as appropriate, for the delivery of intravenous or inhalation conscious sedation.
- Adhere to and apply all the necessary medico-legal requirements related to conscious sedation to their daily practice.
- Demonstrate their practical skills in assisting both the clinician and the patients where conscious sedation is used to deliver dental treatment, as evidenced by their clinical portfolio.
- Certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing – Covering both intravenous (IV) and inhalational (IH) sedation and as a start to further training for assisting with oral or transmucosal sedation.
- Award in Inhalation Sedation Dental Nursing *– For dental nurses assisting with inhalation sedation only.
- Award in Intravenous Sedation Dental Nursing* – For dental nurses assisting with intravenous sedation only.
*Please note if applying to study an award only, the full course will need to be attended as the NEBDN final examination assesses students against the full syllabus.
How to apply:
Cost: £1,100 per person
CPD hours: 63 hours
Venue: EDH Education Centre, 179a Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 7PA
If you would like to check your eligibility and register to join the next cohort please complete the form available here.
Virtual Open Days
Informal drop-in sessions will take place via MS Teams on the following dates:
- June 29, 2022, 5-6pm
- July 6 2022, 5-6pm
To request an invite to join the session please email uclh.
Many dental patients require regular help with maintaining their oral health and often dental clinicians ask their nurse to provide both oral health education and/or oral health promotion to their patients. Being able to help your patients with their oral health can be a rewarding experience for the dental nurse as an extended duty.
EDHEC offers the Oral Health Education Certificate which is suitable for all dental nurses working in NHS, community, or private dental settings. The underpinning knowledge is aligned to the NEBDN Oral Health Education qualification. Dental nurses that have obtained a qualification in Oral Health Education can often go onto become Oral Health Educators within their dental practice.
On completion of training the oral health education dental nurse will be able to:
- Describe and explain the requirements of an OHE dental nurse
- Demonstrates skills in the management and delivery of oral health education, and the development of oral health promotion programmes for a range of patient groups
- Provide an insight into the scientific basis of oral health promotion and oral health education
- Develop an understanding of the link between general health and oral health
- Design and deliver appropriate oral health care plans to prevent or minimise the effects of oral disease
- Provide comprehensive oral care using the most appropriate treatment modality
How to apply
- Cost: £950 per person
- CPD hours: 54 hours
- Venue: EDH Education Centre, 179a Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 7PA
If you would like to check your eligibility and register to join the next cohort, please complete the form available here.
Please note, we are no longer accepting applications for the pre-registration programme
In October 2020 we will be launching our 18 month Dental Nurse Apprenticeship programme. Successful candidates will work towards obtaining the National Dental Nursing Diploma, awarded by the National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN) as the apprenticeship gateway qualification leading to the Dental Nurse Apprenticeship qualification.
Training is blended to include classroom teaching and discussion, virtual learning and simulated activities. The remaining time will be spent on clinical rotation across a range of dental specialties within the Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals.
|Length of course||18 months|
|Course fee||Not applicable|
|Entry requirements||Four GCSEs at grade A/B/C or grades 4-9 including English Language, Mathematics, Science (preferably Biology)|
|Recruitment||Assessment and interview.
Offers will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check and Occupational Health clearance.
- University College London Hospital (UCLH) is a centre of excellence providing specialist clinical dental services for Central and North West London.
- Staff are from a variety of backgrounds within the dental profession. Their collective experience ensures that students are able to leave the course as capable, effective and ethical clinicians in their own right.
The Eastman has a world class reputation for providing excellent dental care, research and teaching, both in the UK and abroad.
EDHEC is a newly refurbished facility that was opened in October 2019. The centre is equipped with state of art, facilities, including Simodont dental trainers currently offered exclusively to EDHEC in the London area.
The centre is designed to support the delivery of:
- Enhanced technical skills with experiential learning
- Simulated clinical training
- Soft skills training (communication, empathy)
- Live surgical demonstrations via video link
- Research enhanced and innovative training
The Eastman Dental Hospital Education Centre (EDHEC) is in the unique position of being the only postgraduate dental hospital in the UK. We offer a wide range of teaching programmes as well as postgraduate courses we offer dental hygiene, dental therapy and dental nursing programmes. We facilitate soft skills and enhanced clinical skills training for all members of the dental team, in addition to professional development opportunities for internal staff. Our courses provide an excellent opportunity for trainees to work alongside all members of the dental team while training and be part of the Eastman ethos.
The EDHEC has a number of specialist departments dealing with different aspects of dental care. Patients are referred by their dentist or doctor, for advanced and specialised treatment. Valuable research work is also carried out in a number of departments in an effort to achieve the very best outcomes for our patients.
The EDH has strong links with a number of teaching hospitals including Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, The Royal National Throat Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital and The Royal Free Hospital.
The Eastman Dental Hospital is part of University College London Hospitals (UCLH) NHS Foundation Trust.
“I am loving it. Every topic is very interesting and I am learning a lot. I absolutely love the nurses and clinicians in clinic who are all very helpful and understanding. But the best thing about the course is the patients and being able to assist them and make their experience of the treatment better.
“It’s a very rewarding profession and I am very grateful to be on the course and cannot wait to be a qualified dental nurse.”
Hanna, pre-registration Dental Nurse student
“I am quite happy to have gotten a place to study and work as a student dental nurse at Eastman Dental Hospital (UCLH). It has being a very exciting experience. The teachers are so friendly and helpful. Giving everyone equal opportunity to learn and excel. I have felt supported in so many ways especially during this unprecedented time when we had to find other ways to learn away from classroom (MS Teams) which worked out fine for everyone. The teachers are always there to help. Thank You to the whole team at Education Centre EDH. Hopefully in few months’ time, we will make you proud with good grades.”
Ugochi, pre-registration Dental Nurse student
“I feel like I am getting the highest quality teaching and training on this course as we are doing our training in a brand new dental hospital. The course tutors are brilliant and very experienced in their specialities. There is always somebody available to speak to either on the ‘phone or face to face. And now we are using Microsoft Teams, it makes communication between students and staff even easier.”
Fatima, pre-registration Dental Nurse student
Most clinics are at The Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals on the UCLH campus.
The Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals
47-49 Huntley Street
London WC1E 6DG
UCLH switchboard: 020 3456 2300
“I completed the NEBDN Nursing Sedation course through Eastman Dental Hospital. Throughout the completion of the course I have been well supported at every step- which was not only in the classroom tutorials but coursework support too. The course itself was well organised and interactive, with subjects relevant to my role in Practice. I have been taught the skills and knowledge I needed to not only gain the qualification but to retain what I had learnt and confidently use them every day. It has been by far the best teaching method, tutor support -even through the pandemic-and best subject contents of all my post graduate qualifications. I would highly recommend this course over the others out there. “