Dental Hygienists and Dental Therapists registered with the General Dental Council (GDC) are skilled and valuable members of the dental team providing dental treatment for patients within their scope of practice and training. On qualification/registration these clinicians are able to work in primary care, general hospitals and teaching hospital settings as well as community based dental services. The collaboration of a modern and innovative university and hospital offers an inspiring and engaging environment for both student and faculty presenting with the opportunity of expanding their roles beyond the niche of dentistry and expanding into various sectors.
Subject to approval with the General Dental Council and validation with LSBU, our first cohort will commence in January 2021 and we are inviting students to register their interest. A second cohort will commence in September 2021. Register your interest by contacting us via the information below.
Course Director - Ms Sarah Balian
The course is BSc in Dental Hygiene and BSC in Dental Therapy in collaboration with London South Bank University (LSBU).
Your academic learning will be delivered via a blended learning approach and your clinical skills will take place at our state of the art clinical skills and simulation suite.
As part of your training you will be rotated at the clinics within the Dental Hospital, conducting most of the treatment under close supervision from highly qualified and experienced dental staff. The specialties that students will interact with include:
- Special Care Dentistry
- Oral Medicine
- Restorative Dentistry
- Paediatric Dentistry
- Oral Surgery
- Dental Radiology
As you progress through your training you will have the opportunity to attend ‘outreach’ placements that partner with UCLH Trust, not limited to primary and further secondary dental care settings.
- 3 years
- The UK tuition fee for the 2020 - 2021 academic year is £9250
- Five GCSE’s at grade C5 or above to include English, Mathematics and Biology.
- 120 points from 3 A levels, or equivalent, including 40 points (above) in Biology.
- ABB (including B or above in Biology)
- General Studies, Critical Thinking, Thinking Skills and Global Perspectives are not considered.
Access to HE Diploma
- QAA Access to Medical Professions, Health and Science HE Diplomas are considered.
- Individual consideration Level 3 at 60 credits (15 credits in Biology and 30 credits at distinction & 15 credits merit or higher).
Dental Nursing (NVQ Level 3 Oral Health Care / NEBDN)
- Accepted in-lieu of one A-Level. A-Level grades AB (including Biology at least 40 points) are required in addition.
Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers
- ABB from three Advanced Highers including Biology.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- 32 points overall including 655 in Higher Level Subjects inclusive of Higher Level Biology.
All students whose first language is not English, must have IELTS-Academic English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0 in each component (must be within two year validity).
We are unable to accept any international students for our January 2021 cohort. European students with indefinite leave to remain may apply however we will not be able to confirm this until after validation and you will also need to already have a NARIC certificate in place alongside your overseas qualifications.
Competitive interview. Offers will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check and Occupational Health clearance.