Hearing therapists work with adults who have hearing loss and associated disorders, such as tinnitus and hyperacusis, and other forms of hypersensitivity. 

We offer counselling to help with the psychological and emotional effects of audiological problems, as well as providing help and advice on practical solutions.

We offer both face to face and remote appointments.

Patient feedback

"My contact with the therapist over the last year has made a huge difference to my health and my quality of life. Without her support I would not have come to terms with my condition and I think I could have fallen ill from depression."

Patient contact

Service management

Other contact information

Correspondence address:
Hearing Therapy Department
The Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals
250 Euston Road


Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospital
47-49 Huntley Street

Other referral information

How to contact the hearing therapy department
Clare Lazenbury: claire-julia.lazenbury@nhs.net

Referral criteria / acceptance criteria:
This service currently only accepts internal referrals.

At your first appointment we will do a comprehensive assessment of your needs and then create a tailored programme of rehabilitation to support you. The appointment will last about an hour. 

It may be helpful to think about the following questions before you attend your appointment: 

  1. What are the main areas of difficulty for you? 
  2. How have your difficulties affected your personal relationships and your work/social/home life? 
  3. Have you found anything that helps with your difficulties? 

The hearing therapy team only accept referrals from within UCLH.

  • RNID. Campaigns for change, provides services and training, and actively supports scientific and technical research. They have a wealth of factsheets available free to download on everything from rights at work to hearing aids.
  • Hearing Concern Link. Provides support and information to people with hearing loss and their families. They run an intensive one-week course for people who are deafened, a yearly convention for anyone with a hearing loss and have information on social and support groups.
  • JDA. Offers professional support services, information and a range of social, cultural and educational programmes to people with all levels of hearing loss, people experiencing tinnitus, their friends, families and colleagues. They offer their services to everyone, regardless of faith.
  • British Tinnitus Association. The BTA provides support and information for people with tinnitus.

Employment and education

  • Shaw Trust. Supports disabled and disadvantaged people to prepare for work, find jobs and live more independently. They provide training courses and a range of employment focused services.
  • Access to Work. Provides help and practical support to you and your employer with extra costs that may arise as a result of your hearing loss, e.g. funds towards special equipment such as amplified telephones or radio aids.


  • Stagetext. Delivers captioned performances to ensure theatre performances can be accessed by people with a hearing loss. They provide a list of local captioned performances.
  • Yourcinema Details of local showings of subtitled films are available from this site and can be sent to you in a weekly email.

Parenthood and pregnancy