The fertility laboratory provides three main services.
- Semen analysis to test fertility
- Storage of semen samples (usually for patients undergoing treatment that may make them infertile such as chemotherapy).
- Processing of semen samples for IUI treatments.
Over 8,500 men have been referred to us for long-term storage of semen samples since the 1970s. We are one of the largest and oldest sperm banks in the UK.
Fertility & reproductive medicine laboratory
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing Lower Ground Floor 235 Euston Road London NW1 2BU
Other referral information
Appointments can only be made through the e-referrals system. To find the service:
- Specialty – Gynaecology
- Clinic Type – Family Planning, Infertility, Not Otherwise Specified
- Organisation/Location – University College Hospital Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing
- Service Name - Routine Semen Analysis - Reproductive Medicine Laboratory - UCLH – RRV
We accept referrals for sperm storage for patients at risk of permanent infertility due to medical treatments. Lab reports for the following blood tests must sent with the referral and an appointment cannot be booked without them:
- HIV 1&2
- Hepatitis C antibodies
- Hepatitis B Core antibody
- Hepatitis B surface antigen
Additional tests are required for patient whose partner is unable to carry a pregnancy (e.g. same-sex relationships) to enable sperm to be used in surrogacy in future. These are
- Hepatitis A
If the patient is from a high prevalence HTLV area(or has a sexual partner who is), please also test for HTLV1 antibodies.
Please contact the laboratory for a referral form or for more information.