During the COVID-19 pandemic our welfare and benefits advisers can offer telephone consultations and some face-to-face appointments for people who find it difficult to communicate by telephone.
Helpful information about coronavirus and claiming universal credits is available on the government universal credit web page.
For help to fill in the PIP form, visit the Citizens Advice website.
Our welfare and benefits team provide support and advice on all aspects of welfare and benefits to people who have cancer or a blood condition, who are under the care of UCLH, and their carers.
The team can:
- Find out what benefits you’re entitled to
- Help you to apply for benefits
- Support you if you’re going through a benefits tribunal
- Give advice about other financial support
- Signpost you to other specialist services, or services local to you.
The following health care professionals can refer you for welfare and benefit advice:
- hospital doctor
- clinical nurse specialist
- ward nurse
- support and information specialist.
Details on how you can contact a support and information specilaist are available here.
You may find it helpful to contact some of the government departments listed below before visiting us:
- Jobcentre Plus for new and existing benefit claims): 0800 055 66 88. You can also find your local Jobcentre Plus office online.
- Attendance Allowance: 0800 731 0122
- Carer's Allowance Unit: 0800 731 0297
- Child Benefit: 0300 200 3100
- Child Tax Credit: 0345 300 3900
- Employment & Support Allowance: 0800 055 6688
We aim to offer advice to as many patients as possible but we may not always be able to provide support at a time convenient for you. We have listed other services you can also contact for advice below:
- Age UK (50 plus)
Tel: 0800 055 6112
- Citizens Advice
Tel: 03444 111 444
Website: adviceguide.org.uk (to find your local office)
- Civil Legal Advice
Tel: 0345 345 4 345
- Law Centres Network
- Macmillan Cancer Support
Tel: 0808 808 00 00 (people with a cancer diagnosis only)
- National Debtline
Tel: 0808 808 4000
Tel: 0345 120 3779
For advice on housing benefit, council tax support, Blue Badge scheme, Taxicards (London boroughs only) and Freedom Passes, please contact your local council.
Please note that our welfare and benefits service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Therefore, we cannot advise on the following areas:
- Pension advice
- Mortgage/insurance policy issues; however, we can help with some rent arrears/mortgage arrears of less than £1,000 as well as utility debts and credit card debts that are unsecured
- Self-employed business – for self-employed tax issues please contact TaxAid (see above for contact details)
- Secured debts – please contact the National Debtline, your local Citizens Advice (see above for contact details) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (fca.org.uk/)
We are unable to help with immigration queries. For more information about immigration or to find legal advice, please visit the following websites:
Citizens Advice: citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner: home.oisc.gov.uk/
Law Centres: lawcentres.org.uk/i-am-looking-for-advice
Right to remain: righttoremain.org.uk/