During the COVID-19 pandemic our welfare and benefits advisers can offer telephone consultations and some face-to-face appointments for people who find it difficult to communicate by telephone.

Helpful information about coronavirus and claiming universal credits is available on the government universal credit web page.

For help to fill in the PIP form, visit the Citizens Advice website.

Our welfare and benefits team provide support and advice on all aspects of welfare and benefits to people who have cancer or a blood condition, who are under the care of UCLH, and their carers.

The team can:

  • Find out what benefits you’re entitled to
  • Help you to apply for benefits
  • Support you if you’re going through a benefits tribunal
  • Give advice about other financial support
  • Signpost you to other specialist services, or services local to you.

If you have a simple query about benefits or welfare call 020 3447 8663 to arrange a telephone appointment.

If your query is complex or if you need help filling out a benefit application form you will need to book an appointment. Call 020 3447 8663 to book an appointment or ask your hospital doctor, nurse or a support and information specialist to refer you to the UCLH welfare and benefits team.

You may find it helpful to contact some of the government departments listed below before visiting us:

We aim to offer advice to as many patients as possible but we may not always be able to provide support at a time convenient for you. We have listed other services you can also contact for advice below:

For advice on housing benefit, council tax support, Blue Badge scheme, Taxicards (London boroughs only) and Freedom Passes, please contact your local council.

Please note that our welfare and benefits service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Therefore, we cannot advise on the following areas:

  • Bankruptcy
  • Pension advice
  • Mortgage/insurance policy issues; however, we can help with some rent arrears/mortgage arrears of less than £1,000 as well as utility debts and credit card debts that are unsecured
  • Self-employed business – for self-employed tax issues please contact TaxAid (see above for contact details)
  • Secured debts – please contact the National Debtline, your local Citizens Advice (see above for contact details) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) (fca.org.uk/)
  • Immigration – we cannot do supporting letters for family members to travel to the UK, unless requested by an immigration adviser. Please contact your local Citizens Advice, a law centre or an immigration solicitor.