UCLH takes its impact on the environment seriously and has a ten-point climate action plan in place. We are aiming to reach net zero carbon dioxide emissions by 2031, and have a ten-point climate plan in place (see above).
Our Green Plan has seen investment of more than £2.5m in a programme that includes:
- installing low energy lights
- switching to sustainable electricity and recycled paper
- reducing patient journeys by 50 per cent
- reducing the use of the most harmful anaesthetic gas by 90 per cent
- encouraging staff to take part in climate action schemes.
We are dedicated to treating and supporting our patients and staff within the constraints of our natural resources, increasing our readiness for changing times and climate, and strengthening our links with the local community. In 2021 we were the proud winners of a Sustainability Award for our public engagement work, including declaring a climate and health emergency.
We aim to embed sustainable development principles in every of our work. Our staff are central to our efforts. We actively support staff sustainability and active travel initiatives; there are many ways to get involved.
Find out more abut the steps we are taking to reduce climate change.