09 November 2022
Insulet have informed us of a potential issue with the battery in the Omnipod DASH personal diabetes manager (PDM).
Insulet will be sending replacement PDMs to those affected.
Actions advised by Insulet:
If you experience any of the following issues, do not charge your Omnipod DASH PDM, and contact the Insulet Customer Care team at 0800 011 6132:
- The Omnipod DASH PDM back cover is bulging or cannot close. You may need to remove the PDM gel skin to observe any of these issues. Do not apply pressure to the back cover if it is deformed in any way
- The Omnipod DASH PDM experiences extreme overheating (uncomfortable to hold) or emits an odour while charging, during use, or in storage
- The Omnipod DASH PDM does not turn on within 45 minutes of being connected to the charger or turns off immediately after being removed from the charger. If your PDM battery loses its charge very quickly (more than you have previously experienced) or if it takes more than 1.5 hours to reach 80% charge, contact Insulet’s Customer Care team
Continue to use your Omnipod DASH® PDM if you do not experience any of the above and follow the actions below to reduce the risk of PDM battery issues:
- Do NOT remove the battery from the Omnipod DASH® PDM for any reason, even if the User Guide recommends it for troubleshooting. If you are in a situation where removal of the battery is recommended by the User Guide or PDM screen message, do not remove the battery and contact Insulet’s Customer Care team at 0800 011 6132.
- Do NOT continue charging the Omnipod DASH® PDM after it reaches 85% of charge. This means you should not charge your device overnight and you should monitor the device while charging.
- Do NOT charge the PDM if the surrounding temperature is 31°C or higher. Do not charge the PDM in direct sunlight.
- If the Omnipod DASH® PDM is unusually warm, leave the PDM unplugged and idle at room temperature until it cools down. Do not charge the PDM when it feels unusually warm to the touch.
- Do NOT use your Omnipod DASH® PDM while it is charging.
- Always inspect your Omnipod DASH® PDM before charging (remove gel skin / cover) for any deformity, back cover bulging, battery leakage, signs of damage at the charging port, or difficulty closing the back cover.
The full safety notice can be found here.