The oesophageal and stomach surgery service is part of the gastrointestinal division at UCLH and works very closely with the specialist UGI gastroenterology, nutrition, oncology and radiology departments. It comprises UCLH-based and Barts Health-based surgeons. The consultant team provides daily out of hours cover for the oesophageal elective and regional specialist services.
Clinics run weekly on a Tuesday. There are four full-day operating lists per week.
The team performs surgery for:
- Oesophageal cancer (including laparoscopic-assisted surgery)
- Gastric cancer
- Gastro-oesophageal acid reflux disease
- Symptomatic gallstones
- Abdominal wall hernias (including laparoscopic repairs)
- Symptomatic hiatus hernias (including giant hernias)
- Splenectomy (including laparoscopic)
The out-of-hours service provides telephone assistance to regional hospitals and will consider transfers when necessary for:
- Oesophageal perforation
- Gastric volvulus and strangulated hiatus hernias
There is also expertise within the surgery team to provide complex surgery back up for the head & neck and gynae-oncology surgery services for patients requiring pharyngolaryngo-oesphagectomies and ovarian cancer debulking/cytoreduction surgery respectively.