The Nutrition and Dietetic Service is led by a senior dietitian who has undergone specialist training and will provide nutritional assessment and advice.
Dietitians provide practical guidance to help people make long lasting changes to the way they eat.
Advice can be given on a wide variety of diets, for example excluding certain foods if a food intolerance or food allergy is suspected.
We always aim to ensure:
- That your diet is nutritionally balanced providing the nutrients needed
- That advice is based on up-to-date scientific research on food, health and disease
- That the guidance is practical and individualised so enabling the right food choices for your particular needs
Patients with the following conditions may be seen in clinic:
- Food allergy and intolerances
- Gastrointestinal problems including irritable bowel syndrome
- Women’s health issues including polycystic ovarian syndrome, premenstrual syndrome and menopause
- Rheumatological and other musculoskeletal problems
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
There is also a multidisciplinary weight loss programme for patients with a BMI between 30 and 39.9 kg/m².
The first appointment is usually 40 minutes.
Before your appointment, it would be helpful if you complete a food diary for one week, so the dietitian can give more individual and specific advice for your needs.
Advice on nutritional supplements will be given if necessary, however, wherever possible advice will focus on obtaining nutrients from food.
If you are unable to attend your appointment, please let us know at least 48 hours beforehand so we can offer your appointment to someone else. If you do not attend your appointment without telling us we may refer you back to your GP. Following your treatment, you will be referred to your GP.
If your appointment is more than 24 hours away, please change or cancel it by using the online form below or calling us on 020 3456 7890.
If your appointment is within the next 24 hrs please call us on 020 3456 7890.
If you have any non-urgent queries regarding your appointment or our services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you within 72 hours.
The RLHIM is also a teaching hospital and from time to time other healthcare professionals may observe in outpatient clinics as part of a training course. We will always ask your permission for students to sit in during your consultation. You do not have to have students.