We offer a specialist service which caters for the medical needs of frail older people.
We have particular expertise in managing the older adult with a frailty syndrome and multimorbidity. We work closely with a large team of therapists and older adult nurse specialists to deliver holistic, multidisciplinary care with the aim of improving a frail older person’s medical, functional and psychosocial outcomes.
Other referral information
Referral number available Thursday - Friday.
|UCLH service name||Choose and book specialty||Clinic type|
|Care of the Elderly||Geriatric Medicine||Not Otherwise specified|
Rapid access and one-stop clinics
For older patients referred by their general practitioner requiring urgent medical assessment including those with falls and complex needs.
Monday - 9.30am - 12pm (weekly)
Tuesday - 12.30pm - 4pm (weekly)
Friday - 12.30pm - 4pm (weekly)
Making a referral: Please email a referral letter, indicating that an appointment for the Medicine for the Elderly Rapid Access Clinic is required and the timescale the appointment is required within.
Contact Pathway Co-ordinator via:
Telephone: 020 3447 9910
Access to patient results
We write with results as they are available. This includes suggestions for management or further action as a consequence of the findings. Our Administration team will answer GP queries and liaise with the consultant staff to ensure a speedy response.
UCH Referrals Centre
University College London Hospitals
Ground Floor North
250 Euston Road
London NW1 2PG
- Acute Geriatric service: Geriatrician on AAU 7 days a week working with a multidisciplinary team to deliver early comprehensive geriatrics assessments in the acutely unwell frail elderly.
- Inpatient services: Patients that need a prolonged period of specialist inpatient care are transferred from the Acute Admissions Unit to T7 or T10 ward.
- Orthogeriatrics: We provide a consultant led liaison service which aims to improve outcomes in frail older patients with hip or other osteoporotic fractures.
- General Surgical Liaison services: Consultant led liaison service to frail elderly patients under the GI surgeons.
- Outpatients: We have three weekly general elderly medicine outpatient clinics per week.
- Community Geriatric Service: We are increasingly working closely with our GP colleagues in Camden and Islington to deliver a better quality of care to the frail elderly in our local community. Geriatricians from UCLH provide input into community MDTs in both boroughs and are providing an in reach service into nursing homes in South Islington.
- OAAT: The Older Adults Assessment Team is a team of clinical nurse specialists who support all patients with dementia at UCLH. Their role also involves carer support and staff training/support.
We treat the following conditions in older people:
• Falls/poor mobility
• Movement disorders
• Multimorbidity including organ failures
Approximately 2,000 inpatient episodes per year, covering acutely unwell people with multiple conditions.
All clinics have a minimal waiting time.