The high number and clinical complexity of patients we treat provides a rich and dynamic working environment with plenty of opportunities to develop and progress a cancer nursing career.
Naturally, our philosophy is that patients come first. But our nurses come a very close second because if we don’t attract, develop and retain well trained nurses who feel valued we can’t look after patients safely or with proper care.
We have a deserved reputation for ensuring our nursing staff have the facilities and support they require to deliver high standards of care to patients. As a result of this philosophy we have a reputation for effective staffing levels and nurse led services.
We hope the information on this website gives you an insight into the service, who we are and what we do, and most importantly, how you could enjoy working here too.
Just a taster of the education, training and support we provide:
Education and training
- We fully fund a range of degree and masters pathways and specialist modules with King’s College London, and other London universities.
- We offer a unique practical skills cancer nursing rotation tailored to the individual - a great way to broaden your experience in a supportive service.
- We provide a range of in-house training sessions – our education centre is equipped with a dedicated learning hospital that has simulation wards and skills labs.
- Ward-based teaching is held every Wednesday.
- Cancer nursing training and education is overseen by a dedicated Clinical Practice Team.
Working as a cancer nurse provides you with a wide range of foundation and advance nursing skills and experiences which open up a number of career pathways to you. Our ward nurses commonly progress to being Clinical Nurse Specialists, Ward Sisters, Senior Day-Care and Ambulatory Care Nurses, Clinical Trials Nurses, Practice Educators, Nursing Researchers. Of course many nurses wish to remain ward nurses and we have a cancer ward nurse career development pathway to leading to Band 7 Ward Specialist roles, Ward Sister/Charge Nurse and Advanced Nurse Practitioners.
- We have regular team meetings and encourage staff
involvement in the running of each team.
- We provide de-brief/clinical supervision sessions for staff facilitated by the palliative care team.