The department undertakes specialist dental treatment for those under 16 years of age ( 15 years and 11 months), and deals with the aetiology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of oral disorders; mouth conditions and teeth of children.
The clinical service encompasses the acute and long term management of:
- dento-alveolar trauma problems, eg. injuries to the primary or permanent dentition; note a limited number of patients with severe trauma can be seen on the day following the GDPs completion of the attached trauma referral form, or telephone/ email referral
- complex developmental and inherited anomalies such as hypodontia, amelogenesis and dentinogenesis imperfecta as well as hypomineralisation and hypoplasia
- special care patients
- those with multidisciplinary treatment needs involving other teams e.g. hypodontia, orthodontic/paediatric and paediatric/ restorative; oral medicine
- surgical interventions e.g. impacted canines, supernumeraries, frenectomies, infraoccluded teeth
- those with complex medical conditions who require dental management prior to their medical intervention e.g. organ transplants, immunosuppressed,
- caries and behaviour management
- those who are unable to accept treatment due to age for example precooperative children; or due to anxiety and require either sedation or general anaesthesia for conservation and extractions.
Our patients therefore include:
- Children with dental trauma, anomalies of the teeth where the number, size, shape or quality is affected
- Children with special needs and medically compromised
- Those with oral pathology
- Extremely anxious patients who may need sedation or general anaesthetic, for treatment of caries or orthodontic conditions requiring surgery.
Other contact information
Assistant General Manager: Marianna Campisova - Growth and Development (this includes Paeds and Orthodontics) - email@example.com
Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals
47-49 Huntley Street
Other referral information
Urgent referrals should be clearly marked and are given priority.
Criteria for Acceptance for Treatment:
- Patients with carers:
- Under the age of 5 – unco-operative, extensive disease
- Over the age of 5 – GDP has attempted treatment and failed, patient requires treatment under sedation or general anaesthesia.
- Patients with anomolies – MIH/Amelogenesis imperfecta/dentinogenesis imperfecta/hypodontia/supernumary teeth/other anomolies/pathology.
- Patients who have had traumatic injuries
- Patients with whose medical conditions compromise the delivery of dental care
- Patient with special needs eg learning and behavioiural problems
- Patients requiring surgery as part of orthodontic treatment
- Patients with oral pathology
Access to patient results
Results of investigations will be sent within patient letters
- Consultant paediatricians
- Consultant and specialist orthodontists
- Consultants and specialists in paediatric dentistry
- General dental practitioners and general practitioners.
Royal National ENT & Eastman Dental Hospitals Division,
250 Euston Road, London, NW1 2PG
Integrated paediatric dental care for secondary and tertiary referrals. Our services cover:
- Trauma clinic for dental injuries
- Patients with special needs and medical conditions
- Patients with dental anomalies
- Minor oral surgery for pathology or orthodontic treatment
Day stay anaesthesia, intravenous sedation, inhalation sedation combined speciality care for complex dental conditions.
7,400 patients are seen annually, of whom approximately 1,200 are new patients and 800 are day cases.
Our outpatients department has a play specialist, paediatric trained dental nurses and dentists. The School of Dental Hygiene and Therapy also offers support.
Shared care with general dental practitioner or community dental officer.