This is the service for pre-operative assessment for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery only. For all other hospitals, please contact the main switchboard.
We provide a multi-disciplinary pre-operative assessment for patients requiring surgery at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. This includes a nurse-led assessment, necessary investigations and advice for all patients. Patients with multiple medical conditions or having complex surgery will also be seen by a consultant anaesthetist.
Other referral information
Where do your tertiary referrals come from?
All of our patients are referred by the neurosurgical and spinal teams at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. Patients attending the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery are local, national and international.
Queen Square Pre-operative Assessment Centre
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
Box 61 Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
- Pre-operative assessment, including full medical history and examination, for all patients requiring neurosurgery.
- Pre-operative investigations: blood tests, ECG and MRSA screening. If the medical history indicates, further investigations such as lung function tests, echocardiography or CPEX testing may be requested
- Perioperative management of regular medications Provision of information to prepare for hospital admission and surgery, and for discharge home
Our most recent patient experience and satisfaction survey demonstrated that 100% of patients were very satisﬁed with the service that they received.
Comments from patients included:
“Nurse was empathic, conscientious and listened to my concerns. Addressed them and put me at ease”
“Seen by a very professional nurse who was thorough and attentive”
“Good clear guidance and advice given by a patient and friendly nurse”
“First class service from a professional nurse who dealt with me in a gentle and kind manner”
All patients will be able to discuss their concerns regarding hospital admission, anaesthesia and surgery with the pre-operative assessment team. We also provide a variety of information leaflets on anaesthesia, surgical conditions and pain relief following surgery, as well as website links.
If necessary, we will arrange for more extensive pre-operative investigations such as echocardiography, lung function tests or referrals to specialist teams, such as a cardiologist, for further advice. Where necessary, we will contact the patient’s GP or local hospital for further information on medical conditions. This may occasionally delay surgery, however the majority of our patients proceed to surgery as planned and will be contacted by the admissions team closer to their date of surgery.
- Cerebral angiogram (local anaesthetic)
- Cerebral angiogram - general anaesthetic
- Cerebral AVM (Arterio Venous Malformation) Endovascular Treatment
- Day surgery at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Having a craniotomy or biopsy for a suspected brain tumour
- Intradural Spinal Tumour Resection
- Lumbar Fusion and Decompression (Single level)
- Lumbar Spinal Neurosurgery
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) under general anaesthesia
- Multi-Level Anterior cervical discectomy
- Obesity/High body mass index/what are the risks
- Spinal Neurosurgery
- Transsphenoidal hypophysectomy