The outpatient department at the Hospital sees emergency and non-emergency patients during normal clinic times, Monday to Friday 9am - 4.00pm. Each clinic is led by a consultant physician who sees general tropical cases as well as special interest cases.
All clinics are held at:2nd Floor Mortimer Market Clinic
Mortimer Market Building
Tottenham Court Road
London WC1E 6JB
HTD Outpatients offers a wide range of clinics such as clinics for
|General tropical medicine|
|Mycology (complex fungal infection)|
|Neglected tropical diseases|
|Tropical & Infectious Disease|
Consultant Out-Patient Appointments & Clinical Advice
Requests for emergency admission or very urgent clinical attendance or advice on the management of a patient, should contact the University College London Hospital switchboard on 020 3456 7890 and ask to be put through to the on-call tropical medicine registrar (24 hour service).
The following are accepted as emergency or routine admissions:
- Adult patients with proven or suspected tropical diseases
- Adult patients with proven or suspected infectious diseases, whether or not they have travelled to the tropics
- Adult patients for investigation of pyrexia of unknown origin (PUO), whether or not they have travelled to the tropics
We are happy to see any patient with a suspected tropical or infectious disease. Appointments are by GP referral only. Many of the hospital consultants hold the only dedicated NHS post in their field. These specialities include parasitology, Hansen’s disease (leprosy) and tropical dermatology amongst others.
Referrals can be made to named consultants or will be triaged to the most appropriate consultant.
All clinics are held in the Mortimer Market building and all physicians see general tropical medicine patients in addition to special interests.
Patients may be referred to be seen within 24 hours as emergencies. Patients who have returned from the tropics in the last year and are unwell with fevers or bloody diarrhoea may refer themselves as emergency attenders during normal outpatient clinic times (9 am - 4 pm, weekdays) to HTD, Mortimer Market.
Out of hours (after 4 pm) or at weekends and/or bank holidays emergency attenders should go to the UCLH emergency department.
- Cutaneous larva migrans (CLM)
- Doença de Chagas
- Emergency walk in clinic
- Enfermedad de Chagas
- Getting results
- Going home with a cannula
- Having a lumbar puncture
- Managing your malaria infection as an outpatient
- Outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy (OPAT)
- Post Tropical Screening
- Rabies post exposure prophylaxis
- Rapid Access Infectious Diseases (RAID)
- Removal of bot/tumbu flies and jigger fleas
- Skin snips
- The Hospital for Tropical Diseases Outpatient Services
- Threadworm infection