Professor of infectious disease, UCL
Honorary consultant in infectious diseases, UCLH
2005-2010: Wellcome Trust clinician scientist, infection & immunity at UCL
2001-2005: Specialist registrar in infectious diseases & general medicine, London Deanery
1998 2001: MRC clinical research fellow
Mahdad is a consultant in infectious diseases and leads a research group in the division of infection and immunity at UCL funded by the Wellcome Trust, who study immune responses to infection in order to develop new approaches to diagnosis and treatment, with a particular focus on tuberculosis.
Mahdad also leads a team of research nurses that focus on clinical research projects in infectious diseases.
Immune responses to infection
1. Gupta RK, Calderwood CJ, Yavlinsky A, Krutikov M, Quartagno M, Aichelburg MC, Altet N, Diel R, Dobler CC, Dominguez J, Doyle JS, Erkens C, Geis S, Haldar P, Hauri AM, Hermansen T, Johnston JC, Lange C, Lange B, van Leth F, Muñoz L, Roder C, Romanowski K, Roth D, Sester M, Sloot R, Sotgiu G, Woltmann G, Yoshiyama T, Zellweger J-P, Zenner D, Aldridge RW, Copas A, Rangaka MX, Lipman M, Noursadeghi M, Abubakar I. Discovery and validation of a personalized risk predictor for incident tuberculosis in low transmission settings. Nature Medicine. October 2020:1-9. doi:10.1038/s41591-020-1076-0.
2. Gupta RK, Marks M, Samuels THA, Luintel A, Rampling T, Chowdhury H, Quartagno M, Nair A, Lipman M, Abubakar I, van Smeden M, Wong WK, Williams B, Noursadeghi M, UCLH COVID-19 Reporting Group. Systematic evaluation and external validation of 22 prognostic models among hospitalised adults with COVID-19: An observational cohort study. Eur Respir J. September 2020. doi:10.1183/13993003.03498-2020.
3. Sampson D, Yager TD, Fox B, Shallcross L, McHugh L, Seldon T, Rapisarda A, Brandon RB, Navalkar K, Simpson N, Stafford S, Gil E, Venturini C, Tsaliki E, Roe J, Chain B, Noursadeghi M. Blood transcriptomic discrimination of bacterial and viral infections in the emergency department: a multi-cohort observational validation study. BMC Med. 2020;18(1):185. doi:10.1186/s12916-020-01653-3.
4. Turner CT, Gupta RK, Tsaliki E, Roe JK, Mondal P, Nyawo GR, Palmer Z, Miller RF, Reeve BW, Theron G, Noursadeghi M. Blood transcriptional biomarkers for active pulmonary tuberculosis in a high-burden setting: a prospective, observational, diagnostic accuracy study. Lancet Respir Med. 2020;8(4):407-419. doi:10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30469-2
5. Gupta RK, Turner CT, Venturini C, Esmail H, Rangaka MX, Copas A, Lipman M, Abubakar I, Noursadeghi M. Concise whole blood transcriptional signatures for incipient tuberculosis: A systematic review and patient-level pooled meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2020. doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(19)30282-6.