Over 6,000 babies are born each year in the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing at University College Hospital.
We are proud of our maternity services which offer the very best care for women and their babies.
There are many reasons to have your baby at UCLH. We have included a few of them below:
- We offer state-of-the art facilities in a modern building with the latest fetal scanning equipment.
- Our midwife led Birthing Centre includes two birthing pools and home-from-home amenities.
- The spacious Labour Ward is staffed by medical and midwifery teams at all times. Labour ward offers consultant led labour care and a pool room for women who are unable to use the birth centre.
- A midwife emergency telephone helpline. A midwife is available 24 hours a day to answer your questions.
- A community midwifery service that provides antenatal, home birth and postnatal care for women within the local region.
- A highly specialist neonatal intensive care service providing care for sick and extremely premature babies. Our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) is the only level 3 unit in north central London (level 3 units provide specialist care for sickest and most premature babies).
- We have close links with the neonatal teams at Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) for babies needing surgery or the specialist support of other experts.
- UCLH is one of the largest research institutions in the UK. Our obstetricians and fetal medicine specialists are internationally recognised and innovators in their field.
- Private elective caesarean section service (the Fitzrovia Suite) offering accommodation of the highest standard and private midwifery and obstetric care.
- Care rounds are regularly undertaken on the post-natal ward to allow women to feed back their experiences.
- One of the most innovative Preterm Birth Clinics in the UK. This specialist antenatal service is designed specifically to cater for the needs of pregnant women at risk of premature labour.
- A specialist Fetal Medicine Unit (FMU) that provide innovative systems of care for women with multiple births and complex fetal abnormalities.
- UCLH is one of only two hospitals in London to receive full accreditation in UNICEF’s prestigious Baby Friendly Award, recognising our work to ensure mothers and babies receive high quality support to enable breastfeeding.
- A comprehensive postnatal (after-birth) service for women who require additional care.
- A Perinatal Mental Health Service offering triage, psychiatric and psychological assessment, short term intervention and onward referral for women.
- University College Hospital recently gained a ‘Good’ rating from the CQC. The CQC’s report highlights examples of innovation and best practice across UCLH, particularly within our maternity and gynaecology services.