- First degree in mathematics (Oxford University)
- Qualified Southampton University Medical School, trained in Southampton, Birmingham. London and The Gambia
- Consultant in infectious diseases and tropical medicine since 1996
- Professor of tropical medicine, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Course director, MSc in Tropical Medicine and International Health
- DTMH examiner
- Diagnosis and treatment of malaria
- Infectious diseases in returned travellers
- Clinical epidemiology
- Human and pathogen genetics
Professor Bailey has published more than 130 research articles.
Selected recent publications:
- Burton MJ, Holland MJ, Makalo P, Aryee EA, Sillah A, Cohuet S, Natividad A, Alexander ND, Mabey DC, Bailey RL. Profound and sustained reduction in Chlamydia trachomatis in The Gambia: a five-year longitudinal study of trachoma endemic communities. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Oct 5;4(10).
- Burton MJ, Rajak SN, Bauer J, Weiss HA, Tolbert SB, Shoo A, Habtamu E,Manjurano A, Emerson PM, Mabey DC, Holland MJ, Bailey RL. Conjunctival transcriptome in scarring trachoma. Infect Immun. 2011 Jan;79(1):499-511.
- Whitehorn JS, Whitehorn C, Thakrar NA, Hall MJ, Godfrey-Faussett P, Bailey R. The dangers of an adventurous partner: Cordylobia anthropophaga infestation in London. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010 May;104(5):374-5.
- Johnston V, Stockley JM, Dockrell D, Warrell D, Bailey R, Pasvol G, Klein J, Ustianowski A, Jones M, Beeching NJ, Brown M, Chapman AL, Sanderson F, Whitty CJ; British Infection Society and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases. Fever in returned travellers presenting in the United Kingdom: recommendations for investigation and initial management. J Infect, 2009, 59(1):1-18
- JS Herman, EC Wall, C van Tulleken, P Godfrey-Faussett, RL Bailey, PL Chiodini. Gnathostomiasis acquired by British tourists in Botswana, EID, 2009, 15:594-597
- Beshir KB, Hallett RL, Eziefula AC, Bailey R, Watson J, Wright SG, Chiodini PL, Polley SD, Sutherland CJ. Measuring the efficacy of anti-malarial drugs in vivo: quantitative PCR measurement of parasite clearance. Malar J. 2010 Nov 5;9:312.