Tom Kurzawinski is a consultant pancreatic and endocrine surgeon at the University College London Hospitals, Royal Free Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
He was born in Poland where he graduated from medical school and received training in General Surgery. After obtaining PhD degree he moved to the United Kingdom where he continued specialist training and research in liver, pancreas and endocrine surgery. He is a fellow of the Royal College of surgeons of Edinburgh and a member of British Association of Thyroid and Endocrine Surgeons, British Society for Endocrinology and Pancreatic Society.
In 1998 he was appointed to the post of consultant surgeon at The Middlesex Hospital where he specialised in surgery of the pancreas, thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal glands.
He established the Centre for Endocrine Surgery which provides surgical treatments for children and adult patients with diseases of the endocrine glands. (more information athttp://web.mac.com/tom.kurzawinski).
He is an author of many articles in medical journals and book chapters and has recently been involved in writing NICE Guidelines for patients with alcohol-related pancreatitis, Guidelines for the Management of Hereditary Endocrine Cancer Syndromes for the Clinical Committee of the Society for Endocrinology and Paediatric Endocrine Tumours Consensus for the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology & Diabetes and the UK Children's Cancer Study Group.
- Surgery of the pancreas (cancer, chronic pancreatitis)
- Thyroid, parathyroid and glands
- Pancreatic islets transplantation
- General surgery including hernia and gall bladder surgery
- Minimally-invasive (keyhole) surgery.
1.TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski, T.Krawczyk Duodenal carcinoid complicated with gastrointestinal haemorrhage. Polish Surgical Review, 1987, 59,11,934-987.
2. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski, Z.Adamczyk Non parasitic hepatic pseudocyst. Polish Surgical Review, 1988, 60, 5, 457-460.
3. W.Mielicki, J.Serwa, TR.Kurzawinski, Z.Wierzbicki Procoagulant activity of human stomach and colonic cancer. Oncology, 1990, 47 (4), 299-302.
4. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski, G.Cieslewicz Diagnostic and prognostic importance of blood immunoglobulin concentration in diffuse peritonitis. Polish Medical Review, 1991, 5-6, 151-156.
5. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski, I.Jarkowska Cell mediated immunity in diffuse bacterial peritonitis. Polish Medical Journal, 1991, 45-47, 861-864.
6. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski Acute phase response in diffuse bacterial peritonitis. Review. Polish Medical Journal, 1991, 45-47, 901-905.
7. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Ciesielski, G.Cieslewicz, I.Jarkowska Diagnostic and Prognostic Significance of Acute Phase Proteins in Diffuse Bacterial Peritonitis. Part I C reactive protein. Part II Ceruloplasmin, haptoglobin, orozomukoid. Part III Fibrinogen, albumins. Polish Surgical Review.
8. TR.Kurzawinski, BR.Davidson, A.Deery, JS.Dooley, R.Dick, KEF.Hobbs A prospective controlled study comparing brush and bile exfoliative cytology for diagnosing bile duct strictures. Gut, 1992, 33 (12), 1675-1677.
9. BR.Davidson, N.Varsamidakis, JS.Dooley, A.Deery, R.Dick, TR.Kurzawinski, KEF.Hobbs The value of exfoliative cytology for investigating bile duct strictures. Retrospective study. Gut, 1992, 33, (10), 1408-1411.
10. TR.Kurzawinski, BR.Davidson The diagnostic value of cytology for biliary strictures. A review. British Journal of Surgery 1993, 80, 414-421.
11. TR.Kurzawinski, A.Deery, JS.Dooley, R.Dick, KEF.Hobbs, BR.Davidson. A prospective study of biliary cytology in 100 patients with bile duct strictures. Hepatology, 1993, 18, 1399 - 1403.
12. TR.Kurzawinski, JA.Appleby, SC.Hardy, B.Fuller, K.Cheetham, D.Haswell, BR.Davidson, K.Rolles. A prospective, randomized, clinical trial of liver preservation using high-sodium vs. high-potassium lactobionate/raffinose solution. Transplant International, 1994, 7, S489 - S492.
13. V.Distante, M.Farouk, TR.Kurzawinski, SW.Ahmed, B.Davidson, K.Rolles. Comparison of biliary complications following orthotopic liver transplantation for primary sclerosing cholangitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. Transplantation International, 1996, 9, 126 -130.
14. TR.Kurzawinski, L.Selves, M.Farouk, J.Dooley, A.Hilson, JR.Buscombe, A.Burroughs, K.Rolles, BR.Davidson. A prospective study of Hepatobiliary scintigraphy and cholangiography for detection of early biliary complications after orthotopic liver transplantation British Journal of Surgery, 1997, 84, 620 - 623.
15. TR.Kurzawinski, KEF.Hobbs Management of colorectal liver metastasis. Gastroenterology International
16. B.Davidson, Rai R, TR.Kurzawinski, Selves L, Farouk M, J.Dooley, A.Burroughs, K.Rolles Prospective randomized trial of end to end versus side to side bile duct anastomosis without T tube after orthotopic liver transplantation. British Journal of Surgery, 1999, 86(4), 447-52.
17. Bret BT, Smith SC, Bouvier CV, Michaeli D, Hochhauser D, Davidson BR, Kurzawinski TR, Watkinson AF, Van Someren N, Pounder RE, Caplin ME. Phase II study of anti- gastrin-17 antibodies, raised to G17DT, in advanced pancreatic cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2002, 20(20), 4225-31
18. S. Waller, TR.Kurzawinski, L.Spitz, R.Thakker, T.Cranston, S.Pearce, T.Cheetham, WG.van’t Hoff . Neonatal Severe Hyperparathyroidism: Genotype/Phenotype correlation and the use of Pamidronate as a rescue therapy. Eur J Paediatr. 2004, 163(10):589-94
19. TR Kurzawinski Endocrine Surgery through the ‘key hole’ Capital Doctor, 2004, 38, 29-30. 19. Phillips IJ, Kurzawinski TR, Honour JW. Potential pitfalls in intraoperative parathyroid hormone measurements during parathyroid surgery. Ann Clin Biochem. 2005; 42(Pt6): 453-8.
20. Gillams AR, Kurzawinski TR. Lees WR. Diagnosis of Duct Disruption and Assessment of Pancreatic Leak with Dynamic Secretin-Stimulated MR Cholangiopancreatography. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006; 186(2): 499-506.
21. Ogilvie CM, Rumsby G, Kurzawinski TR, Conway GS Outcome of bilateral adrenelectomy in congenital adrenal hyperplasia: one unit’s experience Eur J Endocrinol. 2006, 15(3) , 405;8.
22. Chau I, Cunningham D, Russel C, Norman AR, Kurzawinski T, Harper P, Harrison P, Middleton G, Daniels F, Hickish T, Prendeville J, Ross PJ, Theis B, Hull R, Walker M, Shankley N, Kalindijan B, Murray B, Gillbanks A, Black J. Gastrazole (JB95008), a novel CCK2/gastrin receptor antagonist, in the treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer: results from two randomised controlled trials. Br J Cancer. 2006 Apr 24;94(8):1107-15.
23. Desigan S, Syed R, Conway GS, Kurzawinski TR, Bomanji JB. Giant cervical parathyroid adenoma mimicking a sternocleidomastoid mass and presenting as a brown tumour of the mandible. Clin Nucl Med . 2007 32(4), 306 ; 8
24. Ayaru L, Kurzawinski TR, Shankar A, Webster GJ, Hatfield AR, Pereira SP Complications and diagnosic difficulties arising from biliary self-expanding metal stent insertion before definitive histological diagnosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008, Feb; 23(2):315-20.
1. TR Kurzawinski, CR Russell. Pediatric Endocrine Surgery in Children. In: Charles Brooke, Peter C Hindmarsch, Clinical Paediatric Endocrinology. 2001. Published by Blackwell Science.
2. TR Kurzawinski. Thyroid Surgery in Children. In Oxford Textbook of Pediatric Surgery. Published by Oxford University Press.
3. Qurinius Barnor, TR Kurzawinski, GS Conway . Androgen secreting tumours In Clinical Endocrine Oncology, Ed. I Hay, J Wass. Blackwell Publishing 2008.
4. TR Kurzawinski. Endocrine Surgery. In : Anaesthesia for Patients with Endocrine Disease. Ed MFM James. Published by Oxford University Press