Dr Foulkes qualified from the University of Oxford Medical School in 2006, with a 1st class degree in Physiology and an intercalated DPhil (PhD) on the neurophysiology of 3D vision. His postgraduate training in neurology was in Oxford, East Kent and London. He undertook a clinical research fellowship in cognitive neurology at the UCL Dementia Research Centre, working primarily with patients with young-onset Alzheimer's disease and advanced structural MR imaging techniques.
Dr Foulkes runs a cognitive disorders clinic at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in which he sees all types of young-onset dementias. He has a particular interest in young-onset Alzheimer's disease and posterior cortical atrophy. He is involved in clinical trials in Alzheimer’s disease at the UCL Dementia Research Centre. Dr Foulkes also runs a general neurology clinic at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, as well as general neurology clinics at Watford General Hospital and St Albans City Hospital.
Young-onset dementia, posterior cortical atrophy, Alzheimer's, Benson's, clinical trials
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine (8th ed.)Short-interval MRI atrophy rates and implications for clinical trial design. Foulkes AJM et al. J Prev Alz Dis 2015;2(4):281
- Differences in hippocampal subfield volume are seen in phenotypic variants of early onset Alzheimer's disease. Parker TD, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Neuroimage Clin. 2018 doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2018.101632.
- Navigational cue effects in Alzheimer's disease and posterior cortical atrophy. Yong KXX, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2018 doi: 10.1002/acn3.566.
- Cortical microstructure in young onset Alzheimer's disease using neurite orientation dispersion and density imaging. Parker TD, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Hum Brain Mapp. 2018. doi: 10.1002/hbm.24056.
- Eyetracking Metrics in Young Onset Alzheimer's Disease: A Window into Cognitive Visual Functions. Pavisic IM, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Front Neurol. 2017. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2017.00377.
- ApoE influences regional white-matter axonal density loss in Alzheimer's disease. Slattery CF, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Neurobiol Aging. 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2017.04.021.
- Music Perception in Dementia. Golden HL, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017. doi: 10.3233/JAD-160359.
- Effect of age at onset on cortical thickness and cognition in posterior cortical atrophy. Suárez-González A, …, Foulkes AJM, et al. Neurobiol Aging. 2016. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2016.04.012.
- Do cerebrospinal fluid transfer methods affect measured amyloid ?42, total tau, and phosphorylated tau in clinical practice? Paterson RW, …, Foulkes AJ, et al. Alzheimers Dement (Amst). 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.dadm.2015.06.003.
- The effect of absolute and relative disparity noise on stereoacuity. Foulkes AJM and Parker AJ. J. Vis., 2003 3(9):64
- Human stereoscopic depth perception in an anti-correlated single-edge stimulus. Foulkes AJM and Cumming BG. J. Physiol. (Lond.), 533:73-74P, 2001
- Adaptation to visual feedback delays in a human manual tracking task. Foulkes AJM and Miall RC. Exp. Brain Res., 131:101-110, 2000