Dr Arjun K Ghosh MBBS MSc PhD FHEA FACC FESC FRCP FICOS is a consultant cardiologist at UCLH and Barts Heart Centre. He helped establish and grow cardio-oncology services at UCLH and Barts Heart Centre which are now amongst the biggest in the world. He is the clinical lead of the UCLH service which looks after all the cardiac needs of cancer patients and works to reduce the cardiac side effects of cancer treatment. Patients are evaluated before, during and after cancer treatment (be it chemotherapy, radiotherapy and/or surgery) to ensure optimal cardiac outcomes for these patients.
Dr Ghosh is also a specialist in advanced cardiac imaging (cardiac MRI and echocardiography) and in all aspects of general cardiology. He has a number of international and national leadership positions at the American College of Cardiology, British Cardiovascular Society, Royal Society of Medicine, International Cardio-Oncology Society and British Cardio-Oncology Society.
He also has a keen interest in medical education with an MSc in medical education (Royal College of Physicians and UCL graduating first in his year) and is director of the Foundation Programme at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and is involved in supervising postgraduate doctors and trainee cardiologists.
Dr Ghosh completed a multiple international and national award-winning PhD from Imperial College London on life course cardiology. His work was featured by various media outlets internationally and also in the Houses of Parliament. He has continued to publish widely in the field of cardio-oncology and cardiology and has spoken at international and national conferences in the field. He is a published author in the field of medicine and also medical education.
Select recent journal publications:
- Bravo-Jaimes K…Ghosh AK et al. Opportunities for improved cardiovascular disease prevention in oncology patients. Current Opinion in Cardiology 2020;35
- *Ghosh AK. Cardio-Oncology – more than just cardiac complications of cancer treatment. International Journal of Cardiology 2020 Jun 13:S0167-5273(20)32399-8
- *Tyebally S…. Ghosh AK (joint last author). Cardiac tumours. JACC Cardio-Oncology 2020;2:293-311
- *Jozsa C…. Ghosh AK. Para-caval leiomyosarcoma invading the right heart. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography 2020;Apr 11:S1934-5925(20)30131
- *Ghosh AK et al. CAR T cell therapy related Cardiovascular Outcomes and Management: Systemic Disease or Direct Cardiotoxicity. JACC Cardio-Oncology 2020;2(1):97-109*vGhosh AK. Book review – Practical Cardio-Oncology. Br J Cardiol 2020;27:23
- Seraphim A, Westwood M…. Ghosh AK et al. Advanced imaging modalities to monitor for cardiotoxicity. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2019;20(9):73. doi: 10.1007/s11864-019-0672-z.
- Hardy R, Maddock J, Ghosh AK et al. The relationship between pubertal timing and markers of vascular and cardiac structure and function in men and women aged 60-64 years. Scientific Reports 2019;9(1):11037. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-47164-x.
- *Chong J, Ghosh AK. 5-fluorouracil-induced coronary artery vasospasm – proposed mechanisms, existing management options and future directions. Interventional Cardiology Review 2019;21;14(2):89-94. doi: 10.15420/icr.2019.12
- *Das D, Asher A, Ghosh AK. Cancer and coronary artery disease: common associations, diagnosis and management challenges. Current Treatment Options in Oncology 2019;20:46
- Davidson SM, Arjun S…. Ghosh AK et al. The 10th Biennial Hatter Cardiovascular Institute workshop: cellular protection-evaluating new directions in the setting of myocardial infarction, ischaemic stroke, and cardio-oncology. Basic Res Cardiol 2018;113(6):43 doi: 10.1007/s00395-018-0704-z.
- Chung R, Ghosh AK et al. Cardiotoxicity: precision medicine with imprecise definitions. Open Heart 2018;5(2):e000774
- *Ghosh AK et al. Pericardial disease in cancer patients. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine 2018,20:60 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11936-018-0654-7
- *Ghosh AK, Walker JM. Cardio-Oncology – a new subspecialty with collaboration at its heart. Indian Heart Journal 2017;69(4):556-562. doi: 10.1016/j.ihj.2017.05.006
- *Jeffery D, Lloyd G, Ghosh AK. A striking image of spontaneous echo contrast in severe mitral stenosis in a patient with good INR control. Echo Res and Prac 2017;4(3):113-114. doi: 10.1530/ERP-17-0029
- *Ghosh AK et al. Setting up cardio-oncology services. British Journal of Cardiology 2017;24:1-5. doi:10.5837/bjc.2017.003
- *Ghosh AK, Walker JM. Cardio-Oncology. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2017;78(1):C11-C13. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2017.78.1.C11.
- Hardy R, Ghosh AK et al. Birth weight, childhood growth and left ventricular structure at age 60-64 years in a British birth cohort study. International Journal of Epidemiology 2016 doi: 10.1093/ije/dyw150
- *Ghosh AK et al. Midlife blood pressure predicts future diastolic dysfunction independently of blood pressure. Heart 2016;102:1380–1387
- Murray E, Jones R, Thomas C, Ghosh AK et al. Life course socioeconomic position: associations with cardiac structure and function at age 60 64 years in the 1946 British Birth Cohort. PLoS ONE 11(3):e0152691. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0152691
- *Ghosh AK et al. Congenital epicardial coronary artery to bilateral internal mammary artery fistulae. British Journal of Radiology Case Reports 2016;2:20160014
- *Ghosh AK, Jain A. Diagnosis and management of PFO. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2015;76(7):98-102
- *Westwood M, Ghosh AK. The dawn of perfusion CMR. JACC CVI 2014;7(11):1106
- *Ghosh AK et al. Midlife BP change and LV mass remodelling in the 1946 British birth cohort study. Eur Heart J 2014;35(46):3287-95 (Editors’ Choice)
- *Ghosh AK et al. Cardiovascular risk factors from early life predict future adult cardiac structural and functional abnormalities: a systemic review of the published literature. J Cardiol Therap 2014;2:78-87
- Masi S, D’Aiuto F, Martin-Ruiz C, Kahn T, Wong A, Ghosh AK et al. Rate of telomere shortening and cardiovascular damage: a longitudinal study in the 1946 British Birth Cohort. Eur Heart J 2014;35:3296-3303 (Editors’ Choice)
- Park C, Tillin T, March K, Ghosh AK et al. Hyperglycemia has a greater impact on left ventricle function in South Asians than in Europeans. Diabetes Care 2014;37(4):1124-31
- Park C, March K, Williams S, Kukadia S, Ghosh AK et al. Feasibility and reproducibility of left ventricular rotation by speckle tracking echocardiography in elderly individuals and the impact of different software. PLoS One 2013;8(9):e75098
- Park C, March K, Ghosh AK et al. Left-ventricular structure in the Southall And Brent REvisited (SABRE) study: explaining ethnic differences. Hypertension 2013;61(5):1014-20
- Wills AK, Lawlor DA, Muniz-Terrera G, Matthews F, Cooper R, Ghosh AK et al. Population heterogenecity in trajectories of midlife blood pressure. Epidemiology 2012;23(2):203-11
- Kuh D, Pierce M, Adams J, Deanfield L, Ekelund U, Friberg P, Ghosh AK et al. Cohort profile: updating the cohort profile for the MRC National Survey of Health and Development: a new clinic-based data collection for ageing research. Int J Epidemiol 2011;40(1):e1-9
- Kamara A, Nijjer S, Ghosh AK et al. Myotonic dystrophy and out of hospital arrest. Clinical Medicine 2010;10(6):630-632
- *Ghosh AK et al. Acute aortic dissection with a high D-dimer and pleuritic chest pain in an airline passenger. Clinical Medicine 2010;10(4):409-411
- Nijjer S, Ghosh AK, et al. Hypocalcaemia, the QT interval and Atrial Fibrillation. BMJ Case Reports 2010; dori:10.1136/bcr.08.2009.2216 (Editor’s Choice)
- *Ghosh AK et al. Catecholamine induced transient myocardial dysfunction. BMJ Case Reports 2009; doi:10.1136/bcr.12.2008.1349
- Ghosh S, Ghosh AK et al. A 74 year old woman with a 1 month history of itching and skin rash. Annals of Saudi Medicine 2009;29(3):234
- Ghosh S, Ghosh AK et al. Patent foramen ovale and atrial septal aneurysm in cryptogenic stroke. Postgrad Med J 2007;83(977):173-7