Dr Chandratheva is a consultant neurologist at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery Queen Square and UCLH, where he runs outpatient and inpatient services for patients with a range of acute and chronic neurological conditions including Stroke and transient ischaemic attacks (TIA).
He is clinical lead for the TIA service at the hyperacute stroke unit UCLH and clinical lead for St Pancras Neurorehabilitation Unit .
He runs a busy general neurology clinic at UCLH and specialist stroke and TIA clinics. He maintains an active research interest in stroke and TIA epidemiology having completed a DPhil Oxon in 2011 and also lectures on the UCLH Stroke MSc course.
In addition to his comprehensive general medical (MRCP 2004) and neurology training (MRCP Neurology 2012, DPhil 2011, BSc clinical Neuroscience 1999) he was awarded the first ABN Australasian fellowship to Royal Melbourne hospital 2013 and National Hospital of Neurology Spasticity and Neurorehabilitation fellowship in 2014.
- TIA epidemiology
- Ntaios G, Michel P, Georgiopoulos G, Guo Y, Li W, Xiong J, Calleja P, Ostos F, González-Ortega G, Fuentes B, Alonso de Leciñana M, Díez-Tejedor E, García-Madrona S, Masjuan J, DeFelipe A, Turc G, Gonçalves B, Domigo V, Dan GA, Vezeteu R, Christensen H, Christensen LM, Meden P, Hajdarevic L, Rodriguez-Lopez A, Díaz-Otero F, García-Pastor A, Gil-Nuñez A, Maslias E, Strambo D, Werring DJ, Chandratheva A, Benjamin L, Simister R, Perry R, Beyrouti R, Jabbour P, Sweid A, Tjoumakaris S, Cuadrado-Godia E, Campello AR, Roquer J, Moreira T, Mazya MV, Bandini F, Matz K, Iversen HK, González-Duarte A, Tiu C, Ferrari J, Vosko MR, Salzer HJF, Lamprecht B, Dünser MW, Cereda CW, Quintero ÁBC, Korompoki E, Soriano-Navarro E, Soto-Ramírez LE, Castañeda-Méndez PF, Bay-Sansores D, Arauz A, Cano-Nigenda V, Kristoffersen ES, Tiainen M, Strbian D, Putaala J, Lip GYH.Ntaios G. Characteristics and Outcomes in Patients With COVID-19 and Acute Ischemic Stroke: The Global COVID-19 Stroke Registry. Stroke. 2020 Sep;51(9):e254-e25
- Paterson RW, Brown RL, Benjamin L, Nortley R, Wiethoff S, Bharucha T, Jayaseelan DL, Kumar G, Raftopoulos RE, Zambreanu L, Vivekanandam V, Khoo A, Geraldes R, Chinthapalli K, Boyd E, Tuzlali H, Price G, Christofi G, Morrow J, McNamara P, McLoughlin B, Lim ST, Mehta PR, Levee V, Keddie S, Yong W, Trip SA, Foulkes AJM, Hotton G, Miller TD, Everitt AD, Carswell C, Davies NWS, Yoong M, Attwell D, Sreedharan J, Silber E, Schott JM, Chandratheva A, Perry RJ, Simister R, Checkley A, Longley N, Farmer SF, Carletti F, Houlihan C, Thom M, Lunn MP, Spillane J, Howard R, Vincent A, Werring DJ, Hoskote C, Jäger HR, Manji H, Zandi MS; UCL Queen Square National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery COVID-19 Study Group.Paterson RW. The emerging spectrum of COVID-19 neurology: clinical, radiological and laboratory findings. Brain. 2020 Jul 8
- Beyrouti R, Adams ME, Benjamin L, Cohen H, Farmer SF, Goh YY, Humphries F, Jäger HR, Losseff NA, Perry RJ, Shah S, Simister RJ, Turner D, Chandratheva A, Werring. Characteristics of ischaemic stroke associated with COVID-19. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2020 Aug;91(8):889-891.
- Clinical features distinguish cerebral amyloid angiopathy-associated convexity subarachnoid haemorrhage from suspected TIA. Stanton JED, Chandratheva A, Wilson D, Hostettler IC, Islam S, Werring DJ.Stanton. J Neurol. 2020 Jan;267(1):133-137.
- Best JG, Bell R, Haque M, Chandratheva A, Werring DJ. Atrial fibrillation and stroke : a practical guide. Practical neurology 2019; 19(3):208-224
- Ziff OJ, Routledge E, Turner C, Chandratheva A. Modernising inpatient referral systems: switching from “on call” to “online”. Postgraduate medical journal 2019; 95(1123):292
- Zarkali A, Cheng SF, Dados A, Simister R, Chandratheva A. Atrial fibrillation : an underestimated cause of ischaemia monocular visual loss. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascualar disease 2019; 28(6):1495-1499
- Zarkali A Cheng SF Dados A Simister R Chandratheva A. Undertreatment of vascular risk factors in patients with monocular ischaemic visual loss Cerebrovascular diseases 2018;45:228-235
- Alakbarzade V, Taylor A, Scully M, Simister R, Chandratheva A. Utility of current thrombophilia screening in young patients with stroke and TIA. Stroke Vasc Neurol. 2018 Sep 12;3(4):231-236
- Taylor A, Alakbarzade V, Chandratheva A, Simister R, Scully M. The Importance of the Full Blood Count in Cerebral Ischemia: A Review of 609 Consecutive Young Patients with Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attacks.J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018 Sep;27(9):2500-2504.
- Neal AJ, Campbell BC, Chandratheva A, Hand PJ, Davis SM. Intravenous thrombolysis for acute ischaemic stroke in the setting of rivaroxaban use. Journal of clinical neuroscience 2014;21(11):2013-5
- Paul NL, Simoni M, Chandratheva A, Rothwell PM. Population based study of capusular warning syndrome prognosis after early recurrent TIA. Neurology 2012;79:1356-1362
- Chandratheva A, Geraghty OC, Marquardt L, Mehta Z, Rothwell PM. Performance of current prognostic scores for early risk of recurrence after minor stroke. Stroke 2011;42(3):632-7.
- Geraghty OC, Kennedy J, Chandratheva A, Marquardt L, Buchan AM, Rothwell PM. Preliminary evidence of a high risk of bleeding on aspirin plus clopidogrel in aspirin-naïve patients in the acute phase after TIA or minor ischaemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2010;29(5):460-7.
- Geraghty OC, Paul NL, Chandratheva A, Rothwell PM. Low risk of rebound events after a short course of clopidogrel in acute TIA or minor stroke Neurology. 2010 Jun 8;74(23):1891-6.
- Chandratheva A, Lasserson DS, Geraghty OC, Rothwell PM. Population-based study of behaviour immediately after transient ischemic attack and minor stroke in 1000 consecutive patients: lessons for public education. Stroke. 2010 Jun;41(6):1108-14.
- Chandratheva A, Geraghty OC, Luengo-Fernandez R, Rothwell PM. ABCD2 score predicts severity rather than risk of early recurrent events after transient ischemic attack. Stroke. 2010 May;41(5):851-6.
- Chandratheva A, Mehta Z, Geraghty OC, Marquardt L, Rothwell PM. Population-based study of risk and predictors of stroke in the first few hours after a TIA. Neurology. 2009 Jun 2;72(22):1941-7.
- Marquardt L, Kuker W, Chandratheva A, Geraghty O, Rothwell PM. Incidence and prognosis of > or = 50% symptomatic vertebral or basilar artery stenosis: prospective population-based study. Brain. 2009 Apr;132(Pt 4):982-8.
- Lasserson DS, Chandratheva A, Giles MF, Mant D, Rothwell PM Influence of general practice opening hours on delay in seeking medical attention after transient ischaemic attack and minor stroke: prospective population based study BMJ 2008, 337
- Chandratheva A., Geraghty O. Treatment of stroke in the elderly. GP magazine January
- Rothwell P. M., Giles M. F., Chandratheva A., Marquardt L., Geraghty O., Coull A., Redgrave J., Lovelock C., Flossman E., Schulz U., Bull L., Binney L., Silver L., Gutnikov S., Mehta Z. Early use of existing preventative strategies for stroke (EXPRESS) study. Lancet, 370, 1432-1442
- Cater H. L., Chandratheva A., Benham C. and Sundstrom L. E. (2003) Lactate and glucose as energy substrates during, and after, oxygen deprivation in rat hippocampal acute and cultured slices. Journal of Neurochemistry 87, 1381-138