Dr Ben Carpenter is a consultant haematologist who specialises in treating teenagers and young adults (TYA) with both malignant and non-malignant conditions. He has a particular interest in cellular therapies for non-malignancy conditions including primary immunodeficiencies, thalassaemia and sickle cell disease, and is actively involved with clinical research in these areas. Additionally he has an interest in TYA non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and is a member of the CCLG NHL and BSH TYA groups. He is the UCLH JACIE clinical programme director.
- Primary immunodeficiency cellular therapies
- Cellular therapies for haemoglobinopathies
- TYA non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH)
- The incidence of invasive fungal infections in children, adolescents and young adults with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia/lymphoma treated with the UKALL2011 protocol: a multicentre retrospective study. O'Reilly et al. Br J Haematol. 2019 Feb 15.
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for severe, refractory juvenile idiopathic arthritis. M F Silva J et al. Blood Adv. 2018 Apr 10;2(7):777-786
- Redirection to the bone marrow improves T cell persistence and antitumor functions. Carpenter B et al. J Clin Invest. 2018 May 1;128(5):2010-2024
- Successful outcome following allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in adults with primary immunodeficiency. Fox TA et al. Blood. 2018 Feb 22;131(8):917-931.
- Transplant results in adults with Fanconi anaemia. Bierings M et al. Br J Haematol. 2018 Jan;180(1):100-109.
- Cytomegalovirus pneumonitis complicated by a central peribronchial pattern of organising pneumonia. Cuadrado et al. Respir Med Case Rep. 2017 Feb 20;20:184-187.
- Late onset cytopenias following haematopoietic stem cell transplant associated with viral infection and cell specific antibodies. Lucas G et al. Transpl Immunol. 2017 Mar;41:32-36.
- CD8 T cell tolerance to a tumor-associated self-antigen is reversed by CD4 T cells engineered to express the same T cell receptor. Ghorashian S et al. J Immunol. 2015 Feb 1;194(3):1080-9
- OX40- and CD27-mediated co-stimulation synergizes with anti-PD-L1 blockade by forcing exhausted CD8+ T cells to exit quiescence. Buchan S et al. J Immunol. 2015 Jan 1;194(1):125-133
- EBV-associated post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder following in vivo T-cell-depleted allogeneic transplantation: clinical features, viral load correlates and prognostic factors in the rituximab era. Fox CP et al, Bone Marrow Transplantation. 2014; 49(2): 280-6
- Incidence and dynamics of Epstein-Barr virus reactivation following Alemtuzumab-based conditioning for allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation. Carpenter B et al. Transplantation. 2010; 90: 564–570
- Selective in vivo transfection of murine biliary epithelia using polycation-enhanced adenovirus. McKay TR, MacVinish LJ, Carpenter B et al. Gene Therapy. 2000;7(8):644?652.