Dr Costi Alifrangis is a consultant medical oncologist specialising in the treatment of urological cancers including prostate, bladder, penile and testicular cancer.
He obtained his medical degree at Guy's, King's and St Thomas’ medical school, where he was awarded the university gold medal for medicine. He undertook postgraduate medical training in London and Brighton and trained in oncology on the Imperial College medical oncology rotation.
As an academic clinical fellow at Hammersmith Hospital he worked on hormone resistance in prostate cancer and subsequently secured a Wellcome Trust fellowship to undertake a PhD at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and University of Cambridge.
Dr Alifrangis’ research has focused on the intersection of genomics and therapeutics in the area of drug resistance, including personalised approaches to cancer treatment. He has published original research in journals such as the Journal of Clinical Oncology and was awarded the Sylvia Lawler Prize by the oncology section of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Dr Alifrangis is the lead medical oncologist for testicular and penile cancer at ULCH and has an ongoing interest in the treatment of patients with rare genitourinary cancers.
Testicular cancer, penile cancer, prostate cancer, bladder cancer, rare GU cancers.
- ctDNA monitoring using patient-specific sequencing and integration of variant reads. Wan JCM, Heider K, Gale D, Murphy S, Fisher E, Mouliere F, Ruiz-Valdepenas A, Santonja A, Morris J, Chandrananda D, Marshall A, Gill AB, Chan PY, Barker E, Young G, Cooper WN, Hudecova I, Marass F, Mair R, Brindle KM, Stewart GD, Abraham JE, Caldas C, Rassl DM, Rintoul RC, Alifrangis C, Middleton MR, Gallagher FA, Parkinson C, Durrani A, McDermott U, Smith CG, Massie C, Corrie PG, Rosenfeld N. Sci Transl Med. 2020 Jun 17;12(548):eaaz8084. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aaz8084. PMID: 32554709
- Management of Late Relapses After Chemotherapy in Testicular Cancer: Optimal Outcomes with Dose-intense Salvage Chemotherapy and Surgery. Alifrangis C, Lucas O, Benafif S, Ansell W, Greenwood M, Smith S, Wilson P, Thomas B, Rudman S, Mazhar D, Berney D, Shamash J. Eur Urol Focus. 2020 May 4:S2405-4569(20)30099-7. doi: 10.1016/j.euf.2020.04.001. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32381397
- The Use of Transdermal Estrogen in Castrate-resistant, Steroid-refractory Prostate Cancer. Smith K, Galazi M, Openshaw MR, Wilson P, Sarker SJ, O'Brien N, Alifrangis C, Stebbing J, Shamash J. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2020 Jun;18(3):e217-e223. doi: 10.1016/j.clgc.2019.09.019. Epub 2019 Oct 10. PMID: 32171601
- The management of patients with learning difficulties and testicular cancer: overcoming barriers to improve care. Mott CE, Ng K, Alifrangis C. BMJ Case Rep. 2019 Nov 13;12(11):e227330. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2018-227330. PMID: 31727635
- Dose-dense chemotherapy for untreated poor-prognosis and relapsed germ-cell tumours: an 18-year experience with GAMEC chemotherapy. Shamash J, Mee M, Sarker SJ, Wilson P, Ansell W, Greenwood M, Berney D, Alifrangis C. BJU Int. 2020 Jun;125(6):843-852. doi: 10.1111/bju.14947. Epub 2020 May 4. PMID: 31688976
- Pathological risk factors for metastatic disease at presentation in testicular seminomas with focus on the recent pT changes in AJCC TNM eighth edition. Scandura G, Wagner T, Beltran L, Alifrangis C, Shamash J, Berney DM. Hum Pathol. 2019 Dec;94:16-22. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath.2019.10.004. Epub 2019 Oct 27. PMID: 3166619
- Somatic Transformation in Metastatic Testicular Germ Cell Tumours - A Different Disease Entity. Sharma A, Alifrangis C, Milic M, Hall M, Vasdev N, Wilson P, Gogbashian A, Hrouda D, Berney D, Shamash J. Anticancer Res. 2019 Sep;39(9):4911-4916. doi: 10.21873/anticanres.13678. PMID: 31519595
- Molecular and histopathology directed therapy for advanced bladder cancer. Alifrangis C, McGovern U, Freeman A, Powles T, Linch M. Nat Rev Urol. 2019 Aug;16(8):465-483. doi: 10.1038/s41585-019-0208-0. Epub 2019 Jul 9. PMID: 31289379 Review.
- Pembrolizumab for Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Cancer Where Cisplatin is Unsuitable: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal. Ren S, Squires H, Hock E, Kaltenthaler E, Rawdin A, Alifrangis C.Pharmacoeconomics. 2019 Sep;37(9):1073-1080. doi: 10.1007/s40273-018-0750-2.PMID: 30547369 Free article. Review.