Dr Heaton is a consultant anaesthetist with a special interest in paediatric anaesthesia and anaesthesia for shared airway surgery.
He is also interested in medical education, and is an honorary clinical senior teaching fellow at UCL. His acaemic background is in cardiac autonomic physiology.
- Odor PM, Neun M, Bampoe S, Clark S, Heaton D, Hoogenboom EM, Patel A, Brown M, Kamming D. (2020). Anaesthesia and Covid-19: infection control. Br J Anaesth. 125(1):16-24.
- Cole, A., Heaton, D., Chekairi, A. (2018). Laryngeal Tuberculosis: A rare cause of critical airway obstruction. BMJ Case Reports. Jan 17; 2018.
- Heaton, D. & Humphries, S. (2012). Genetics of Coronary Artery Disease. In: Ramrakha, P. & Hill, J. ed. Oxford Handbook of Cardiology. 2nd edn. OUP
- Herring, N, Lokale, M.N., Danson, E.J., Heaton, D.A., Paterson, D.J. (2008) Neuropeptide Y reduces acetylcholine release and vagal bradycardia via a Y2 receptor-mediated, protein kinase C-dependent pathway. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 44:477-85.
- Heaton, D.A., Li, D., Almond, S.C., Dawson, T.A., Wang, L., Channon, K.M. & Paterson, D.J. (2007) Gene transfer of neuronal nitric oxide synthase into intracardiac ganglia reverses vagal impairment in hypertensive rats. Hypertension. 49:380-388.
- Heaton, D.A., Lei, M., Li, D., Golding, S., Dawson, T.A., Mohan, R.M., and Paterson, D.J. (2006) Remodelling of the cardiac pacemaker L-type calcium current and its beta-adrenergic responsiveness in hypertension after neuronal NO synthase gene transfer. Hypertension. 48:443-452.
- Heaton, D.A., Golding, S., Bradley, C.P., Dawson, T.A., Cai, S., Channon, K.M. & Paterson, D.J. (2005) Targeted nNOS gene transfer into the cardiac vagus rapidly increases parasympathetic function in the pig. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 39:159-164.
- Mohan, R.M., Golding, S., Heaton, D.A., Danson, E.J.F. & Paterson, D.J. (2004). Targeting neuronal nitric oxide synthase with gene transfer to modulate cardiac autonomic function. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 84:321-344.
- Mohan, R.M., Heaton, D.A., Danson, E.J.F., Krishnan, S.P.R., Cai, S., Channon, K.M. & Paterson, D.J. (2002) Neuronal nitric oxide synthase gene transfer promotes cardiac vagal gain of function. Circulation Research. 91:1089-1091.