Dr Emilie Sanchez has been working at UCLH as a consultant virologist since 2016. Their medical background starts in Marseille, France where they graduated. After completing a specialty training in general pathology at Tours University Hospitals, Dr Sanchez further specialised in clinical virology at Imperial College London Hospitals where they obtained their CCT.
Their virology work focuses on the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of opportunistic viral infections particularly in the haematology-oncology population. Since the start of the pandemic, optimising management of COVID in these patients both from a clinical and infection control perspective has been a key component of their daily practice.
As a member of the multi-disciplinary HLH (Human Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis) group at UCLH, Dr Sanchez contributes to the investigation of viral infections in hyperinflammatory syndromes.
Working closely with colleagues at HSL (Health Services Laboratories) towards optimisation of lab quality, Dr Sanchez has undertaken the role of designated individual of the Human Tissue Authority license covering the virology screening of pre stem cell transplant patients.
The introduction of next-generation sequencing in clinical virology for the diagnosis of infection and the identification of antiviral resistance.
- COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression. Mehta P, McAuley DF, Brown M, Sanchez E, Tattersall RS, Manson JJ; HLH Across Speciality Collaboration, UK.Lancet. 2020 Mar 28;395(10229):1033-1034. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30628-0. Epub 2020 Mar 16.
- Preexisting and de novo humoral immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Ng KW, Faulkner N, Cornish GH, Rosa A, Harvey R, Hussain S, Ulferts R, Earl C, Wrobel AG, Benton DJ, Roustan C, Bolland W, Thompson R, Agua-Doce A, Hobson P, Heaney J, Rickman H, Paraskevopoulou S, Houlihan CF, Thomson K, Sanchez E, Shin GY, Spyer MJ, Joshi D, O'Reilly N, Walker PA, Kjaer S, Riddell A, Moore C, Jebson BR, Wilkinson M, Marshall LR, Rosser EC, Radziszewska A, Peckham H, Ciurtin C, Wedderburn LR, Beale R, Swanton C, Gandhi S, Stockinger B, McCauley J, Gamblin SJ, McCoy LE, Cherepanov P, Nastouli E, Kassiotis G.Science. 2020 Dec 11;370(6522):1339-1343.
- Forgotten, but not gone. Sanchez E, Atabani SF, Kaplanova J, Griffiths P, Geretti AM, Haque T.BMJ. 2010 Nov 24;341:c5246
- Antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 vaccination in patients with acute myeloid leukaemia and high risk MDS on active anti-cancer therapies. Chan WY, Zhu C, Sanchez E, Gupta R, Fielding AK, Khwaja A, Payne EM, O'Nions J.Br J Haematol. 2022 Aug;198(3):478-481
- Serological response to the BNT162b2 mRNA or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 COVID-19 vaccine after first and second doses in patients with plasma cell disorders: influence of host and disease factors.
- Chan WY, Howells L, Wilson W, Sanchez E, Ainley L, Chavda SJ, Dowling E, Correia N, Lecat CSY, McMillan A, Wisniowski B, Mahmood S, Papanikolaou X, Lee L, Sive J, Kyriakou C, Wechalekar A, Popat R, Rabin N, Nastouli E, Yong KL, Xu K.Br J Haematol. 2022 Feb;196(3):e21-e26.
- Patients with plasma cell disorders undergoing autologous stem cell transplant retain their humoral response to COVID-19 vaccination but falling titers emphasize the importance of re-vaccination. Howells L, Chan WY, Sanchez E, Horder J, Newrick F, Marfil J, McMillan A, Wisniowski B, Mahmood S, Papanikolaou X, Lee L, Wechalekar A, Popat R, Sive J, Kyriakou C, Xu K, Nastouli E, Yong KL, Rabin N.Leuk Lymphoma. 2022 Oct;63(10):2489-2493
- Influenza vaccination and interruption of methotrexate in adult patients in the COVID-19 era: an ongoing dilemma. Mehta P, Sanchez E, Moraitis E, Longley N, Lendrem DW, Giles IP, Chambers RC, Ciurtin C, Isaacs JD.Lancet Rheumatol. 2021 Jan
- Pandemic peak SARS-CoV-2 infection and seroconversion rates in London frontline health-care workers. Houlihan CF, Vora N, Byrne T, Lewer D, Kelly G, Heaney J, Gandhi S, Spyer MJ, Beale R, Cherepanov P, Moore D, Gilson R, Gamblin S, Kassiotis G, McCoy LE, Swanton C; Crick COVID-19 Consortium; Hayward A, Nastouli E; SAFER Investigators. Lancet. 2020 Jul 25;396(10246):e6-e7
- Development of antibody response to SARS-CoV-2 following asymptomatic infection in patients with plasma cell disorders on immunomodulatory therapy. Chan WY, Sanchez E, Chavda SJ, Lecat CSY, Ainley L, Xu K, Wisniowski B, Mahmood S, Papanikolaou X, Kyriakou C, Sive J, Wechalekar A, Popat R, Rabin N, Lee L, Nastouli E, Yong KL.Br J Haematol. 2021 Sep;194(5):857-861
- Clinical outcomes and risk factors for severe COVID-19 in patients with haematological disorders receiving chemo- or immunotherapy. Fox TA, Troy-Barnes E, Kirkwood AA, Chan WY, Day JW, Chavda SJ, Kumar EA, David K, Tomkins O, Sanchez E, Scully M, Khwaja A, Lambert J, Singer M, Roddie C, Morris EC, Yong KL, Thomson KJ, Ardeshna KM.Br J Haematol. 2020 Oct;191(2):194-206
- Response to 'Impact of immunosuppression on mortality in critically ill COVID-19 patients'. Fox TA, Troy-Barnes E, Kirkwood AA, Chan WY, Day JW, Chavda SJ, Kumar EA, David K, Tomkins O, Sanchez E, Scully M, Khwaja A, Lambert J, Singer M, Roddie C, Morris EC, Yong KL, Thomson KJ, Ardeshna KM.Br J Haematol. 2020 Nov;191(3):505-506
- Natural History of Epstein-Barr Virus Replication and Viral Load Dynamics after Alemtuzumab-Based Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation. Marzolini MAV, Wilson AJ, Sanchez E, Carpenter B, Chakraverty R, Hough R, Kottaridis P, Morris EC, Thomson KJ, Peggs KS.Transplant Cell Ther. 2021 Aug;27(8):682.e1-682.e12.
- Pembrolizumab for the treatment of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy following anti-CD19 CAR-T therapy: a case report. Mackenzie S, Shafat M, Roddy H, Hyare H, Neill L, Marzolini MAV, Gilhooley M, Marafioti T, Kara E, Sanchez E, Rees J, Lynch DS, Thomson K, Ardeshna KM, Laurence A, Peggs KS, O'Reilly M, Roddie C.EJHaem. 2021 Aug 4;2(4):848-853.
- Estimating the effectiveness of routine asymptomatic PCR testing at different frequencies for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 infections. Hellewell J, Russell TW; SAFER Investigators and Field Study Team; Crick COVID-19 Consortium; CMMID COVID-19 working group; Beale R, Kelly G, Houlihan C, Nastouli E, Kucharski AJ.BMC Med. 2021 Apr 27;19(1):106.
- Genomic characteristics and clinical effect of the emergent SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.7 lineage in London, UK: a whole-genome sequencing and hospital-based cohort study. Frampton D, Rampling T, Cross A, Bailey H, Heaney J, Byott M, Scott R, Sconza R, Price J, Margaritis M, Bergstrom M, Spyer MJ, Miralhes PB, Grant P, Kirk S, Valerio C, Mangera Z, Prabhahar T, Moreno-Cuesta J, Arulkumaran N, Singer M, Shin GY, Sanchez E, Paraskevopoulou SM, Pillay D, McKendry RA, Mirfenderesky M, Houlihan CF, Nastouli E.Lancet Infect Dis. 2021 Sep;21(9):1246-1256.