Dr Gary Hotton qualified from University College and Middlesex School of Medicine in 1995. His general medical training was undertaken at Dundee Royal Infirmary and the Royal Free Hospital. Following this he spent seven years in research at Kings College Hospital and Imperial College. He then returned to specialist training in London and joined the specialist register in May 2010.
Dr Hotton is a consultant neurologist and divides his time between the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN) and The North Middlesex Hospital. At the NHNN he has a specialist neuro-oncology clinic and is a core member of the neuro-oncology multidisciplinary team.
At the North Middlesex Hospital he provides an in-patient and out patient general neurology service.
His clinical interests are:
- Neurological care of patients with central nervous system tumours
- Care of patients with neurological complications of cancer or its treatment
- Movement Disorders
Dr Hotton current research interests are in the imaging and optimisation of the medical management of patients with central nervous system tumors.
- Gill S, Patel N, Hotton G, O’Sullivan K, McCarter R, Bunnage M, Brooks D, Svendson C, Heywood P. Direct Infusion of glial cell line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in Parkinson’s Disease. Nat Med. 2003:9:589-595.
- Williams D, Kuhn A, Kupsch A, Tijssen M, van Bruggen G, Speelman H, Hotton G, Yarrow K, Brown P. Behavioural cues are associated with modulations of synchronous oscillations in the human subthalamic nucleus. Brain. 2003;126:1975-1985.
- O’Gorman R, Selway R, Reid C, Hotton G, Hall E, Jarosz J, Polkey C, Hill D. Registered computed tomography images as an alternative to postimplantation magnetic resonance Imaging in the assessment of subthalamic electrode placement. J Comput Assist Tomogr.2004;28:548-550.
- Williams D, Kuhn A, Kupsch A, Tijssen M, van Bruggen G, Speelman H, Hotton G, Loukas C, Brown P. The relationship between oscillatory activity and motor reaction time in the parkinsonian subthalamic nucleus. Eur. J. Neurosci. 2005;21:249-258.
- Love S, Plaha P, Patel NK, Hotton GR, Brooks DJ, Gill SS. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor induces neuronal sprouting in human brain. Nat Med 2005;11(7):703-704.
- Silberstein P, Pogosyan A, Kuhn AA, Hotton G, Tisch S, Kupsch A, Dowsey-Limousin P, Hariz M, Brown P. Cortico-cortical coupling in Parkinson's disease and its modulation by therapy. Brain 2005;128(6):1277-1291.
- Gerhard A, Pavese A, Hotton G, Turkheimer F, Es M, Hammers A, Eggert K, Oertel W, Banati RB, Brooks DJ. In vivo imaging of microglial activation with [11C] (R) -PK11195 PET in idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Neurobiology of Disease 2006; 21(2): 404-12.
- Lang AE, Gill S, Patel NK, Lozano A, Nutt JG, Penn R, Brooks DJ, Hotton G, Moro E, Heywood P, Brodsky MA, Burchiel K, Kelly P, Dalvi A , Scott B , M Stacy M, D Turner D, Wooten V GF, Elias WJ, Laws ER, Dhawan V , Stoessl AJ, Matcham J; Coffey RJ; Traub M. A multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of Liatermin (r metHuGDNF) administered by bilateral intraputaminal infusion to patients with idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Annals of Neurology 2006; 59(3): 459-466.
- Edison P, Archer H, Hinz R, Hammers A, Pavese N, Tai Y, Hotton G, Fox N, Kennedy A, Rossor M, Brooks DJ. Amyloid deposition and metabolic dysfunction in Alzheimer’s disease and mild cognitive impairment: An 11C-PIB and 18F-FDG PET study. Neurology 2007; 68(7): 501-8.
- Pavese N, Evans A, Tai YF, Hotton GR, Brooks DJ, Lees AJ, Piccini P. Clinical correlates of levo dopa-induced dopamine release in Parkinsons disease. A 11C-raclopride PET study. Neurology 2006; 67(9): 1612-7.
- Thobois S, Hotton G, Pinto S, Wilkinson L, Limousin-Dowsey P, Brooks DJ, Jahanshahi M. In Parkinson’s disease, subthalamic nucleus stimulation alters pallidal coupling with prefrontal, cingulate, and temporal cortices during random number generation. JCBFM 2007; 27(6): 1173-84.
- Mínguez-Castellanos A, Escamilla-Sevilla F, Hotton GR, Toledo-Aral JJ, Ortega-Moreno A, Méndez-Ferrer S, Martín-Linares JM, Katati MJ. Carotid body autotransplantation in Parkinson’s disease: A clinical and PET study. JNNP. 2007; 78(8): 825-31.
- Hammers A, Asselin MC, Turkheimer FE, Hinz R, Osman S, Hotton G, Brooks DJ, Duncan JS, Koepp MJ. Balancing bias, reliability, noise properties and the need for parametric maps in quantitative ligand PET: [(11)C] diprenorphine test-retest data. Neuroimage. 2007; 38(1):82-94.
- Sawamoto N, Piccini P, Hotton G, Pavese N Thielmans K, Brooks DJ. Cognitive deficits and striato-frontal dopamine release in Parkinson’s disease. Brain. 2008;131(5):1294-1302.
- Pavese N, Moore RY, Scherfler C, Khan NL, Hotton G, Quinn NP, Bhatia KP, Wood NW, Brooks DJ, Lees AJ, Piccini P In vivo assessment of brain monoamine systems in parkin gene carriers: a PET study. Exp Neurol. 2010; 222(1):120-4.
- Ahmed I, Bose SK, Pavese N, Ramlackhansingh A, Turkheimer F, Hotton G, Hammers A, Brooks DJ. Glutamate NMDA receptor dysregulation in Parkinson’s disease with dyskinesias. Brain. 2011;134(4):979-986.