Dr Magdalena Dziadzio is a consultant immunologist and allergist working in the Department of Specialist Allergy and Clinical Immunology based at the Royal National Ear Nose and Throat Hospital. She is also a consultant Immunologist for the laboratory at the Whittington Hospital.
Magdalena is one of the very few specialists in the UK with dual accreditation in both clinical immunology and internal medicine. She trained in Internal Medicine in Italy, primarily in the academic department of Internal Medicine in Ancona. The departmental focus was on autoimmune and connective tissue diseases, haematological malignancies and immunodeficiency. She subsequently joined the UK Specialist Register and also obtained MRCP by examination. Magdalena was awarded PhD in Immunology in Italy, with work on systemic sclerosis carried out in collaboration with Professor Dame Carol Black's group at the Royal Free Hospital. She later worked as a clinical research fellow in the Academic Centre for Connective Tissue Diseases at the Royal Free Hospital.
Her passion for immunology led her to obtain FRCPath and complete specialist training in clinical immunology and allergy. She trained in immunology in the Department of Immunology and the UCL Centre for Immunity and Transplantation based at the Royal Free Hospital. She completed her allergy training at the Royal National Ear Nose and Throat Hospital and UCLH. Along the way she obtained an MSc in Medical Immunology from King’s College, London. She gained FRCP in 2018.
She is a honorary senior lecturer at the UCL Ear Institute. She is a member of the NHSE CRG Specialist Immunology and Allergy. She is a member of the IVIG panel for the UCLH and the NCL SRIAP panel. She has been involved in the work of the NCL STP Pathology group. She is an examiner for FRCPath in Immunology.
She is a member of the British Society for Immunology and UKPIN.
Laboratory immunology, the immune mechanisms underlying allergic diseases, and primary and secondary immunodeficiencies
- Kariyawasam HH, Leandro M, Dziadzio M, Robinson DS, Lund VJ, Gane SB. Chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps in patients with aspirin sensitivity—Mycophenolate mofetil as an effective steroid-sparing agent. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Published online October 08, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2020.3401
- Levi M, Cohn D, Zeerleder S, Dziadzio M, Longhurst H. Long-term effects upon rituximab treatment of acquired angioedema due to C1-inhibitor deficiency. Allergy. 2019 Apr;74(4):834-840. doi: 10.1111/all.13686. Epub 2018 Dec 18. PMID: 30488963.
- Yong PF*, Dziadzio M*, Grimbacher B. Defects in B cell survival and activation. Chapter in: Encyclopedia of Immunobiology, Academic Press, ISBN-13: 978-0123742797; Volume 5, (466-478). *contributed equally.
- Dziadzio M, Ammann S, Canning C, Boyle F, Hassan A, Cale C, Elawad M, Gyrd-Hansen M, Fiil BK, Saltzer U, Speckmann C, Grimbacher B. Symptomatic males and female carriers in large Caucasian kindred with XIAP deficiency. J Clin Immunol 2015;35(5):439-44.
- Sassi A; Lazaroski S; Gang W; Haslam S; Mellouli F, Patiroglu T, Jouhadi Z; Khadir K; Pfeifer D; Jakob T; Khemiri M; Ben-Mustapha I; Asplund C; Gustafsson MO; Lundin KE; Falk-Sörqvist E; Moens LN; Unal E; Ozdemir MA; Gungor HE; Engelhardt KR; Dziadzio M; Stauss H; Fleckenstein B; Fliegauf M; Meier R; Kraus H; Ben-Khemis L; Nadifi S; Eibel H; Nilsson M; Bejaoui M; Schäffer AA; Smith CIE; Dell A; Barbouche MR, Grimbacher B. Hypomorphic, homozygous mutations in Phosphoglucomutase-3 impair immunity and increase serum IgE levels. J Allergy Clin Immunol.2014;133(5):1410-1419.
- Dziadzio M, Chee R, McNamara C, Wagner T, Deheragoda M, Seneviratne S. EBV-driven Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma confined to the liver in a patient with a history of idiopathic CD4 lymphopenia. BMJ Case Rep 2013. doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-009721.
- Tennent G, Dziadzio M, Triantafillidou E, Davies P, Gallimore J, Denton C, Pepys M. Normal circulating serum amyloid P component concentration in systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum 2007;56(6):2013-17.
- Dziadzio M, Smith R. Metaanalysis is not a substitution for a comprehensive national registry. Clin Rheumatol 2007;26(7):1134-5.
- Dziadzio M, Smith R, Abraham D, Black C, Denton C. Circulating levels of active TGF?1 are reduced in early stage dcSSc and correlate inversely with modified Rodnan skin score. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2005;44:1518-24.
- Dziadzio M, Usinger B, Leask A, Abraham D, Black CM, Denton C, Stratton R. N-terminal CTGF is a marker of the fibrotic phenotype in the connective tissue disease scleroderma. QJM. 2005;89:485-92.
- Dziadzio M, Smith R, Abraham D, Stratton R, Black C, Gabrielli A, Denton C. Serological assessment of type I collagen burden in scleroderma spectrum disorders: a systematic review. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2004;22(3):356-67.
- Dziadzio M, Denton CP, Smith R, Howell K, Blann A, Bowers E, Black CM. Losartan therapy for Raynaud’s phenomenon and scleroderma: clinical and biochemical findings in a fifteen-week randomized, parallel-group controlled study. Arthritis Rheum 1999;42(12):2646-55.