Matthew is a consultant gastroenterologist at UCLH, with an academic appointment as an honorary associate professor at the National Medical Laser Centre, University College London (UCL).
- Early gastric cancer and cancer detection
- Barrett’s oesophagus
- Acid reflux
- Achalasia and oesophageal motility disorders, including POEM (Per-oral endoscopy myotomy)
- Therapeutic endoscopy including ESD, RFA ablation, EMR and POEM
He was director of endoscopy at UCLH from November 2007 to April 2014, having formerly been director of endoscopy at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital from July 2005 to October 2007. He was the British Society of Gastroenterology Endoscopy committee secretary to January 2020 and sat on the BSG Research and Clinical Services and Standards Committee. He remains on the BSG Endoscopy section research group.
Achievements of these positions include JAG accreditation for Chelsea & Westminster in 2007 and provisional accreditation at UCLH in 2014. His current appointments include:
- 2007 - Endoscopy training lead UCLH
- 2014 to 2020 - Secretary - British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) Endoscopy Committee
- 2012 to current - BSG Endoscopy Research Committee
- 2010 to current - Endoscopy Section editor, Faculty of 1000 (F1000)
- 2005 - National endoscopy trainer faculty (St Georges Hospital)
He pioneered endoscopic cancer techniques in the UK including ESD in 2007 having trained in Japan and POEM in 2014 having trained in Belgium.
He has written chapters and reviews on endoscopy and edited the text book 'Endoscopy in the Cancer Patient'. He has also written numerous original papers and general reviews.
He has led a world renowned unit at UCLH, which is also the largest Barrett's centre in the UK undertaking ground breaking research. He has set up a ‘Pig-model laboratory’ for endotherapy training at UCLH Education Centre. He is faculty on the largest live endoscopy conference in the UK (London Live Endoscopy) and frequently facilitates endoscopy courses for consultants to refine their own skills as follows:
- London Live annually
- Hands on UCLH EUS course annually
- Barrett’s early neoplasia tri-annually
- EMR/ESD hands on course annually
- BEST Academia (RFA for Barretts) bi-annually
He was able to refine his techniques during an endoscopic fellowship in Sydney in 2004 and a sabbatical in Tokyo's prestigious National Cancer Centre in 2007 training in ESD, and undertook POEM training in Leuven. He is now one of a select few national endoscopy trainers with exemplary performance standards, in endoscopy and colonoscopy
Barretts oesophagus, early gastric cancer , oesophageal cancer, endoscopy, colonoscopy, radiofrequency ablation, EMR, ESD, POEM, achalasia
- Effects of a high-dose 24-h infusion of tranexamic acid on death and thromboembolic events in patients with acute gastrointestinal bleeding (HALT-IT): an international randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The HALT-IT Trial Collaborators. Lancet 2020; 395: 1927–36
- Cryoballoon ablation for treatment of patients with refractory esophageal neoplasia after first line endoscopic eradication therapy. Durayd Alzoubaidi, Mohamed Hussein, Vinay Sehgal, Christwishes Makahamadze, Cormac G. Magee, Martin Everson, David Graham, Rami Sweis, Matthew Banks, Sarmed S. Sami, Marco Novelli, Laurence Lovat, Rehan Haidry. Endoscopy International Open 2020; 08: E891–E899
- Early detection and risk stratification of gastric cancer are likely to be refined with biopsies targeted through highresolution-enhanced imaging. Marnix Jansen & Matthew Banks. epub ahead of print: [14/10/19]. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2019-31992
- EMR achieves similar oncological outcomes as ESD for gastric neoplasia of <1cm, requiring less expertise, training and time. Matthew Banks, Noriya Uedo, Pradeep Bhandari, Takuji Gotoda. Gut 2019;0:1. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2019-319925
- Accuracy of endoscopic staging and targeted biopsies for routine gastric intestinal metaplasia and gastric atrophy evaluation study protocol of a prospective, cohort study: the estimate study. Stella A V Nieuwenburg, William W Waddingham, David Graham, Manuel Rodriguez-Justo, Katharina Biermann, Ernst J Kuipers, Matthew Banks, Marnix Jansen, Manon C W Spaander. BMJ Open 2019;9:e032013. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2019-032013
- Quality indicators for Barrett's endotherapy (QBET): UK consensus statements for patients undergoing endoscopic therapy for Barrett's neoplasia. Alzoubaidi et al. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2019 Aug 14;11(4):259-271. doi: 10.1136/flgastro-2019-101247. eCollection 2020
- Multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing standard and high resolution optical technologies in colorectal cancer screening. Simona Di Caro, Lucia Fini, Roser Vega, Konstantinos C Fragkos, Sunil Dolwani, John Green, Lesley-Ann Smith, Conrad Beckett, Ewen Cameron, Matthew Banks. Frontline Gastroenterology 2019;0:1–9. doi:10.1136/flgastro-2018-101130
- Achalasia diagnosed despite normal integrated relaxation pressure responds favorably to therapy. S. Sanagapalli Santosh, Sabine Roman, Audrey Hastier, Rupert W. Leong, Kalp Patel, Amanda Raeburn, Matthew Banks, Rehan Haidry, Laurence Lovat, David Graham, Sarmed S. Sami, Rami Sweis. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1111/nmo.1358
- Comparison of two multi band mucosectomy devices for endoscopic resection of barrett's esophagus related neoplasia. Alzoubaidi D, Graham D, Bassett P, Magee C, Everson M, Banks M, Novelli M, Jansen M, Lovat LB, Haidry R. Surg Endosc. 2019 Jan 22. doi: 10.1007/s00464-018-06655-0
- Artificial intelligence for the real time classification of intrapapillary capillary loop patterns in the endoscopy diagnosis of early squamous cell carcinoma: a proof of concept study. Everson M, Herrera L, Li W, Luengo IM, Ahmad O, Banks M, Magee C, Alzoubaidi D, Hsu HM, Graham D, Vercauteren T, Lovat L, Ourselin S, Kashin S, Wang HP, Wang WL, Haidry RJ. United European Gastroenterol J. 2019 Mar;7(2):297-306. doi: 10.1177/2050640618821800. Epub 2019 Jan 6
- Impaired motility in Barrett’s esophagus: A study using high-resolution manometry with physiologic challenge. S. Sanagapalli, A. Emmanuel, R. Leong, S. Kerr, L. Lovat, R. Haidry , M. Banks, D. Graham, A. Raeburn, N. Zarate-Lopez, R. Sweis. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2018;30:e13330.
- Radiofrequency ablation for patients with refractory symptomatic anaemia secondary to gastric antral vascular ectasia. Cormac Magee, Gideon Lipman, Durayd Alzoubaidi, Martin Everson, Rami Sweis, Matthew Banks, David Graham, Charles Gordon, Laurence Lovat, Charles Murray and Rehan Haidry. United European Gastroenterol J. 2019 Mar;7(2):217-224. doi: 10.1177/2050640618814659. Epub 2018 Nov 15
- Risk of lymph node metastases in patients with T1b oesophageal adenocarcinoma: A retrospective single centre experience.. David Graham, Nejc Sever, Cormac Magee, William Waddingham, Matthew Banks, Rami Sweis, Hannah Al-Yousuf, Miriam Mitchison, Durayd Alzoubaidi, Manuel Rodriguez-Justo, Laurence Lovat, Marco Novelli, Marnix Jansen, Rehan Haidry. World J Gastroenterol. 2018 Nov 7; 24(41): 4698–4707
- Virtual chromoendoscopy using optical enhancement improves the detection of Barrett's esophagus-associated neoplasia. Everson MA, Lovat LB, Graham DG, Bassett P, Magee C, Alzoubaidi D, Fernández-Sordo JO, Sweis R, Banks MR, Wani S, Esteban JM, Ragunath K, Bisschops R, Haidry RJ. Gastrointest Endosc. 2019 Feb;89(2):247-256.e4. doi:10.1016/j.gie.2018.09.032. Epub 2018 Oct 3