Miss Melanie Davies is a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist and accredited subspecialist in reproductive medicine, senior consultant at the Reproductive Medicine Unit, and chair of trustees of the EGA Hospital Charity.
Her special interests are in gynae-endocrinology and fertility preservation. Melanie runs a large service for reproductive effects of cancer and chronic disease, and leads dedicated clinics for women with premature ovarian insufficiency and adolescent care. She set up and leads the ‘emergency service’ for women with a new cancer diagnosis to offer egg or embryo feeezing, ovarian tissue storage, ovarian transposition or ovarian suppression.
Melanie is the chair of Fertility Preservation UK, a member of the medical advisory committee of the British Menopause Society and the executive committee of the British Fertility Society. She was previously responsible for the HFEA-licensed fertility services provided at UCLH, a clinical advisor to the HFEA and a contributor to NICE guidance on fertility, menopause, endometriosis, and heavy menstrual bleeding.
Miss Davies is an experienced RCOG training programme director for reproductive medicine and chairs the subspecialty training committee at the RCOG. She is the chief investigator for the POISE study, a multicentre NIHR-funded trial. She lectures nationally and internationally and has publications in the New England Journal of Medicine, British Medical Journal, and Human Reproduction.
- Reproductive medicine
- Premature ovarian insufficiency
- Turner syndrome
- Reproductive effects of cancer and chronic disease
- Pregnancy following fertility treatment
- Nash Z, Thwaites A, Davies M. Tailored regimens for combined hormonal contraceptives British Medical Journal 2020; 368:m200
- Anderson RA, Davies MC, Lavery SA, on behalf of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Elective Egg Freezing for Non-Medical Reasons. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2020; https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16025.
- Cameron-Pimblett A, Davies MC, Burt E, Talaulikar VS, La Rosa C, King TFJ, et al. Effects of estrogen therapies on outcomes in Turner Syndrome: assessment of induction of puberty and adult estrogen use. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019. doi:10.1210/jc.2018-02137
- Talaulikar VS, Conway GS, Pimblett A, Davies MC. Outcome of ovarian stimulation for oocyte cryopreservation in women with Turner syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2019 Mar;111(3):505-509.
- Burt E, Davies MC, Yasmin E, Cameron-Pimblett A, Mavrelos D, Talaulikar V, Conway GS. Reduced uterine volume after induction of puberty in women with hypogonadism.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2019 Dec;91(6):798-804
- Williams CL, Jones ME, Swerdlow AJ, Botting BJ, Davies MC, Jacobs I, Bunch KJ, Murphy MFG, Sutcliffe AG. Risks of ovarian, breast, and corpus uteri cancer in women treated with assisted reproductive technology in Great Britain, 1991-2010: data linkage study including 2.2 million person years of observation.BMJ. 2018 Jul 11;362:k2644
- Yasmin E, Balachandren N, Davies MC, Jones GL, Lane S, Mathur R, Webber L, Anderson RA; British Fertility Society. Fertility preservation for medical reasons in girls and women: British fertility society policy and practice guideline. Hum Fertil (Camb). 2018 Apr;21(1):3-26.