Dr Naomi Fersht is a consultant clinical oncologist at UCLH and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. She specialises exclusively in the management of primary and secondary brain and spinal tumours. This involves the use of both conventional and innovative radiotherapy techniques and chemotherapy.
Her special interests are: brain oligometastases; meningiomas; pituitary tumours; the management of teenagers and young adults with brain tumours (age 16-24); and advanced radiotherapy techniques including proton beam therapy and radiosurgery.
She qualified from the University of Cambridge and her specialist training was at The Royal Marsden and University College Hospitals. Naomi's doctoral thesis, supervised by Nobel Laureate Sir Paul Nurse, was in cell cycle checkpoints.
- Primary and secondary brain tumours
- Advanced radiotherapy techniques
- Temporal trends in craniopharyngioma management and long-term endocrine outcomes: a multicentre cross-sectional study Ziad Hussain, Nigel Glynne, Niamh Martin, Akram Alkrekshi, Nigel Mendoza, Ramesh Nair, Katherine McCullough, Hani Marcus, Neil Dorward, Joan Grieve, Naomi Fersht, Edward Dyson, Pierr-Marc Bouloux, Maralyn Druce, Stephanie Baldeweg (2020) Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) Sept 19
- Hydroxychloroquine and short-course radiotherapy in elderly patients with newly diagnosed high grade glioma: a randomized phase II trial. Lucy Brazil, Angela L. Swampillai, Ka Man Mak, Darren Edwards, Pavlina Mesiri, Laura Clifton-Hadley, Richard Shaffer, Joanne Lewis, Colin Watts, Sarah Jeffries, Pinelopi Gkogkou, Anthony J. Chalmers, Naomi L. Fersht, Allan Hackshaw, and Susan C. Short (2020) Neuro-Oncology Advances 2(1), 1-10
- The impact of proton LET/RBE modeling and robustness analysis on base-of-skull and pediatric craniopharyngioma proton plans relative to VMAT. Gutierrez A, Rompokos V, Li K, Gillies C, D'Souza D, Solda F, Fersht N, Chang YC, Royle G, Amos RA, Underwood T. (2019) Acta Oncol. Aug 20:1-10
- Neurosurgical applications of radiotherapy. Francesca Solda, Cornel Tancu, Neil Kitchen and Naomi Fersht (2018) Surgery. j.mpsur.2018.09.008
- Malignant Meningioma: An international multicentre retrospective study. Charles Champeaux, Vincent Jecko, Deborah Houston, Lewis Thorne, Laurence Dunn, Naomi Fersht, Akbar Khan and Matthieu Resche-Rigon (2018). Neurosurgery nyy610 19 December
- The impact of route of diagnosis on survival in patients with glioblastoma. Kosmin M, Solda F, Wilson E, Kitchen N, Fersht N (2018) British Journal of Neurosurgery (IBJN) https://doi.org/10.1080/02688697.2018.1436693
- Simultaneous 68Ga DOTATATE Positron Emission Tomography/Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Meningioma Target Contouring: Feasibility and Impact Upon Interobserver Variability Versus Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography and Computed Tomography/Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Maclean J, Fersht N, Sullivan K, Kayani I, Bomanji J, Dickson J, O'Meara C, Short S (2017) Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2017 Jul;29(7):448-458. Epub 2017 Apr 19
- Pituitary Carcinoma in a Patient with an SDHB Mutation. Tufton N, Roncaroli F, Hadjidemetriou I, Dang MN, Dénes J, Guasti L, Thom M, Powell M, Baldeweg SE, Fersht N, Korbonits M (2017) Endocr Pathol. 2017 Mar 10
- Craniospinal irradiation with concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide-a feasibility assessment of toxicity in patients with glioblastoma with a PNET component (2016) O'Leary B, Mandeville HC, Fersht N, Solda F, Mycroft J, Zacharoulis S, Vaidya S, Saran F. J Neurooncol. 2016 Apr;127(2):295-302
- Landscape of Familial Isolated and Young-Onset Pituitary Adenomas: Prospective Diagnosis in AIP Mutation Carriers. Hernández-Ramírez LC, Gabrovska P, Dénes J, Stals K, Trivellin G, Tilley D, Ferrau F, Evanson J, Ellard S, Grossman AB, Roncaroli F, Gadelha MR, Korbonits M; International FIPA Consortium (2015) J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Sep;100(9):E1242-54.
- Evaluation of treatment response using integrated 18F-labeled choline positron emission tomography/magnetic resonance imaging in adolescents with intracranial non-germinomatous germ cell tumours. Tsouana E, Stoneham S, Fersht N, Kitchen N, Gaze M, Bomanji J, Fraioli F, Hargrave D, Shankar A (2015) Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015 Apr 8. doi: 10.1002/pbc.25538. [Epub ahead of print
- Heterogeneous genetic background of the association of pheochromocytoma/ paraganglioma and pituitary adenoma: results from a large patient cohort. Dénes J, Swords F, Rattenberry E, Stals K, Owens M, Cranston T, Xekouki P, Moran L, Kumar A, Wassif C, Fersht N, Baldeweg SE, Morris D, Lightman S, Agha A, Rees A, Grieve J, Powell M, Boguszewski CL, Dutta P, Thakker RV, Srirangalingam U, Thompson CJ, Druce M, Higham C, Davis J, Eeles R, Stevenson M, O'Sullivan B, Taniere P, Skordilis K, Gabrovska P, Barlier A, Webb SM, Aulinas A, Drake WM, Bevan JS, Preda C, Dalantaeva N, Ribeiro-Oliveira A Jr, Garcia IT, Yordanova G, Iotova V, Evanson J, Grossman AB, Trouillas J, Ellard S, Stratakis CA, Maher ER, Roncaroli F, Korbonits M.(2015) J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Mar;100(3):E531-41. doi: 10.1210/jc.2014-3399. Epub 2014 Dec 12
- Radiation exposure to comforters and carers during paediatric molecular radiotherapy. Gains JE, Walker C, Sullivan TM, Waddington WA, Fersht NL, Sullivan KP, Armstrong E, D'Souza DP, Aldridge MD, Bomanji JB, Gaze MN. (2014) Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2014 Oct 4. doi: 10.1002/pbc.25250.
- Peptide receptor radionuclide therapy for aggressive atypical pituitary adenoma/ carcinoma: variable clinical response in preliminary evaluation. J. Maclean, M. Aldrich, J. Bomanji, S. Short , N. Fersht (2014) Pituitary. 2014 Dec;17(6):530-8
- Controversies in Radiotherapy for Meningioma. J. Maclean, N. Fersht, S. Short. (2014) Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2014 Jan;26(1):51-64
- Multi-disciplinary management for patients with oligometastases to the brain: Results of a 5 year cohort study. Jillian Maclean, Naomi Fersht, Mausam Singhera, Paul Mulholland, Orla McKee, Neil Kitchen and Susan Short (2013) Radiation Oncology 06/2013;8(1):156
- Sequential Transformation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells is Associated with increased radiosensitivity and reduced DNA repair capacity. Worku M, Fersht N, Martindale C, Funes JM, Short SC (2013) Radiat Res. 2013 Jun;179(6):698-706.
- Meningioma Causing Visual Impairment: Outcomes and Toxicity After Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy. Jillian Maclean, Naomi Fersht, Fion Bremner, Chris Stacey, Suganya Sivabalasingham and Susan Short (2012) Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Mar 15;85(4):e179-86
- Radiotherapy for craniopharyngiomas. Ajay Agarwal, Naomi Fersht and Michael Brada (2012) Pituitary. 2013 Mar;16(1):26-33
- Arc delivered Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy achieves highly conformal radiotherapy for brain tumors with minimal hair loss. Jillian Maclean, Christopher Stacey, Naomi Fersht, Ivan Rosenberg, Derek D’Souza, Nazima Haji, Julia Solano, Susan Short (2011) European Journal of Clinical and Medical Oncology 3:(4)
- Preliminary Results from a Phase I/II Study of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy in the Treatment of Meningiomas. Sivabalasingham S, Fersht N, D'Souza D, Rosenberg I, Stacey C, Davies P, Guerro-Urbano T, Short S (2011). CLIN ONCOL-UK, 23(3), S53 - S53
- 177 Lutetium DOTATATE therapy for childhood neuroblastoma. Jennifer E. Gains, Jamshed B. Bomanji, Naomi L. Fersht, Kevin P. Sullivan, Matthew Aldridge and Mark N. Gaze (2011) J Nucl Med 52(7):1041-7. Epub 2011 Jun 16.
- Current experience with MIBG in combination with chemotherapy and radiosensitisers. MN Gaze and NL Fersht (2008) Nuclear medicine and biology 35: S21-S26
- Cdc18/CDC6 activates the Rad3-dependent checkpoint in the fission yeast. N Fersht, D Hermand, J Hayles and P Nurse (2007) Nucleic Acids Research 35(16):5323-37. Epub 2007 Aug 8.
- The association between metal ions from hip resurfacing and reduced T-cell counts. AJ Hart, T Hester, K Sinclair, JJ Powell, A Goodship, L Pele, NL Fersht, J Skinner (2006) JBJS 88-B(4): 449-454
- The role of radiotherapy in the management of patients with elevated calcitonin following initial surgery for medullary thyroid cancer. Fersht N, Vini L, A'Hern R, Harmer C (2001) Thyroid 11(12):1161-8.
- Axonal growth on astrocytes is not inhibited by oligodendrocytes. Fawcett JW, Fersht N, Housden L, Schachner M, Pesheva P. (1992) J. Cell Science 103: 571-579.