Dr Paul Glynne is consultant physician at UCLH. Paul studied medicine at University College London, and trained in general medicine, nephrology and critical care at The Hammersmith and University College Hospitals.
He was previously Wellcome Trust Research fellow at Imperial College London, and awarded a PhD for his work on the pathogenesis of acute renal failure in sepsis. His key interests are in acute medicine, general internal medicine, and difficult diagnostic problems.
Dr Glynne has held a number of senior positions at UCLH including divisional clinical director of emergency services and medical director, Medicine Board.
General medicine, difficult diagnostic problems, hypertension, acute care
1. Shamaila Z, Patel B, Glynne P, Vanderpump M, Alsafi A, Khan S, Flora R, Palazzo F and Wernig . A rare cause of severe Cushing’s syndrome. Endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism; 20-0011; March 2020
2. Ciurtin C, Pitiyage G, de Villiers P, Glynne P. Investigating Persistent Bilateral Ankle Swelling. International Archives of Medicine; 2015; 8(238)
3. Tully A, Mayer EK, Glynne P. et al. Bilateral adrenal haemorrhage following cysto-prostatectomy: a case report. Br J Med & Surg Urol 2008; vol1 p85-87.
4. Summers SA, Glynne PA. Acute poisoning on the medical admissions unit. Clin Med. 2007 Jun;7(3):277-9. Review.
5. Shulman R, Finney SJ, O'Sullivan C, Glynne PA, Greene R. Tight glycaemic control: a prospective observational study of a computerised decision-supported intensive insulin therapy protocol. Crit Care. 2007;11(4):R75.
6. Singer M, Glynne P. Treating Critical Illness: The Importance of First Doing No Harm. PLoS Med 2005 Jun;2(6):e167
7. Ng J, Finney SJ, Shulman R, Bellingan GJ, Singer M, Glynne PA. Treatment of pulmonary hypertension in the general adult intensive care unit: a role for oral sildenafil? Br J Anaesth 2005; doi:10.1093/bja/aei114
8. Glynne PA, Singer M, Lord GM. The Role of Leptin in Sepsis. In Vincent JL (ed.). Yearbook of Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. Berlin, Springer-Verlag 2004:41-50
9. Glynne PA, Evans TJ. Role of the PDZ scaffolding protein in tubule cells in maintenance of polarised function. Exp Nephrol 2002; 10(5-6):307-312
10. Glynne PA, Darling KEA, Picot J, Evans TJ. Epithelial inducible nitric oxide synthase is an apical EBP50-binding protein that directs vectorial nitric oxide output. J Biol Chem 2002; 277(36):33132-8
11. Glynne PA. The Role of Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase in Renal Proximal Tubule Epithelial Cells. Doctoral Thesis Imperial College, University of London, December 2002
12. Glynne PA, Allen AR, Pusey CD. (eds). Acute Renal Failure in Practice. London: Imperial College Press, 2002
13. Glynne PA, Allen AR. Rhabdomyolysis. In: Glynne PA, Allen AR, Pusey CD. (eds). Acute Renal Failure in Practice. London: Imperial College Press, 2002; pp 296-308
14. Baker R, Glynne PA. Vascular Access. In: Glynne PA, Allen AR, Pusey CD. (eds). Acute Renal Failure in Practice. London: Imperial College Press, 2002; pp 248-254
15. Glynne PA, Price NM. Sepsis and Acute Renal Failure. In: Glynne PA, Allen AR, Pusey CD. (eds). Acute Renal Failure in Practice. London: Imperial College Press, 2002; pp 388-400
16. Glynne PA, Lightstone L. Acute Renal Failure. Acute Medicine 2002; 1(1):15-23
17. Glynne PA, Picot J, Evans TJ. Coexpressed Nitric Oxide Synthase and Apical b1 Integrins Influence Renal Tubule Cell Adhesion Following Cytokine-Induced Injury. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12(11):2370-83
18. Glynne PA. Renal medicine. BMJ 2001; 323(7319):S2-S7319
19. Glynne PA, Lightstone L. Acute Renal Failure. Clin Med JRCPL 2001; 1(4):266-73
20. Glynne PA. Career Choices: Renal Medicine. Student BMJ 2001; 9:282-3
21. Glynne PA, Price NM. HLA and Infectious Diseases. In: Lechler RI, Warrens AN.(eds) HLA and Disease. London: Academic Press, 2000; pp 299-326
22. Glynne PA. Primary Culture of Human Proximal Tubule Epithelial Cells. In: Evans TJ (ed) Septic Shock: Methods and Protocols. Totowa, New Jersey: Humana Press 2000; 197-205
23. Glynne PA, Deacon A, Goldsmith D, Pusey C, Clutterbuck E. Bullous Dermatosis in End-Stage Renal Disease: Porphyria or Pseudoporphyria? Am J Kidney Dis 1999; 34(1):155-60
24. Glynne PA, Salama A, Swirsky D, Lightstone L. Quinine-Induced Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura Followed by Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Am J Kidney Dis 1999; 33:133-137
25. Glynne PA, Powles R, Steele J, Prendiville J, Singhal S, Treleaven J, Mehta J. Renal dysfunction following autologous bone marrow transplantation in adult patients with acute leukaemia. Acta Oncol 1996; 35(6):709-712
26. Mehta J, Powles R, Singhal S, Hamblin M, Zomas A, Prendiville J, Glynne PA, Mackay H, Treleaven J. Idarubicin, high-dose cytarabine and etoposide for induction of remission in acute leukaemia. Semin Haematol 1996; 33(4):suppl.18-23
27. Mehta J, Powles R, Singhal S, Matthey F, Prendiville J, Glynne P, Treleaven J, Catovsky D. T-cell depleted allogeneic bone marrow transplantation from an HLA mismatched unrelated donor for progressive chronic lymphocytic leukaemia and fludarabine induced bone marrow failure. Bone Marrow Transplant 1996; 17:881-883