Dr Paul Jarman has been a consultant neurologist at the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery since 2001. He studied medicine at Oxford University and University College London medical school, graduating with honours in medicine, surgery, pathology and clinical pharmacology and therapeutics. He obtained a PhD in molecular genetics of movement disorders following a period of research funded by a Wellcome Trust research fellowship. His neurology specialist training was completed in London with a short period at UCLA in Los Angeles.
Parkinson's and movement disorders clinic at NHNN Acute neurology (UCH) Medical Education and Training
North London Neurology Training Programme Director Postgraduate Clinical Tutor at NHNN and Academic neurology training programme clinical lead
Movement disorders and neurogenetics
Medical education and training
- Jarman PR. Grand Rounds- Hammersmith Hospital. Meningeal granulomas: sarcoidosis or tuberculosis? British Medical Journal 1995; 310: 517-20.
- Jarman PR, Kehley AM, Mather HM. Hyperkalaemia in diabetes: prevalence and associations. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 1995; 71: 551-2. (Reprinted in abstract form: Yearbook of Chemical Pathology 1996)
- Jarman PR, Whyte MKB, Sabroe I, Hughes JM. Sarcoidosis presenting with chylothorax. Thorax 1995; 50: 1324-5.
- Jarman PR, Whyte MKB, Peters AM. Gallium-67 single photon emission computed tomography to image central nervous system sarcoidosis. British Journal of Radiology 1996; 69: 192-4. (Reprinted in abstract form: Yearbook of Nuclear Medicine 1997)
- Jarman PR, Bandmann O, Marsden CD, Wood NW. GTP cyclohydrolase mutations in patients with dystonia responsive to anticholinergic drugs. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1997; 63: 304-8.
- Jarman PR, Kehley AM, Mather HM. Life-threatening hyperkalaemia caused by angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor and diuretics (letter). Diabetic Medicine 1997; 14: 808.
- Jarman PR, Davis MB, Hodgson SV, Marsden CD, Wood NW. Paroxysmal dystonic choreoathetosis: genetic linkage studies in a British family. Brain 1997; 120: 2125-30.
- Jarman PR, Wood NW, Davis MT, Davis PV, Bhatia KP, Marsden CD, Davis MB. Hereditary geniospasm: linkage to chromosome 9q13-q21 and evidence for genetic heterogeneity. American Journal of Human Genetics 1997; 61: 928-33.
- Jarman PR, Warner TT. The dystonias. Journal of Medical Genetics 1998; 35: 314-8
- Warner TT, Jarman PR. Molecular genetics of the dystonias. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry (Editorial) 1998; 64: 427-9.
- Valente EM, Warner TT, Jarman PR, Mathan D, Marsden CD, Bhatia KP, Wood NW. The role of DYT1 in primary torsion dystonia in Europe. Brain 1998; 121: 2335
- Jarman PR, Wood NW. Parkinson’s disease genetics comes of age. British Medical Journal (Editorial) 1999; 318: 1641-2.
- Jarman PR, del Grosso N, Valente EM, Leube B, Cassetta E, Bentivoglio AR, et al. Primary torsion dystonia: the search for genes is not over. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1999; 67: 395-7.
- Montgomery H, Clarkson P, Barnard M, Bell J, Brynes A, Dollery C, Hajnal J, Hemingway H, Mercer D, Jarman P et al. Angiotensin-converting-enzyme gene insertion/deletion polymorphism and response to physical training. Lancet 1999; 353: 541-5.
- Jarman PR, Bhatia KP, Davie C, Heales S, Turjanski N, Taylor-Robinson S, Marsden CD, Wood NW. Paroxysmal dystonic choreoathetosis: clinical features and investigation of pathophysiology in a large family. Movement Disorders 2000; 15: 648 - 57.
- Jarman PR, Kehley AM, Mather HM. Hyperkalaemia and apple juice. Lancet 2001;358: 841.
- Spacey SD, Valente EM, Wali GM, Warner TT, Jarman PR, et al. Genetic and clinical heterogeneity in paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia: evidence for a third EKD gene. Movement Disorders. 2002;17: 717-25.
- Barnett MH, Jarman PR, Heales SJ, Bhatia KP. Further case of paroxysmal exercise-induced dystonia and some insights into pathogenesis. Movement Disorders. 2002; 17: 1386-7.
- Jarman PR, Wood NW. Genetics of movement disorders and ataxia.
- J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2002; 73 Suppl 2: II22-6.
- Jarman PR, Mather HM. Diabetes may be independent risk factor for hyperkalaemia. British Medical Journal 2003; 327: 812.
- Waldman AD, Jarman P, Merry RT. Rapid echoplanar diffusion imaging in a case of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease; where speed is of the essence. Neuroradiology. 2003; 45: 528-31.
- Parisaei M, Derwig I, Yoon J, Erskine KJ, Jarman PR. Posterior reversible leukoencephalopathy in a case of postpartum eclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005;193:885-6.
- Devine M, Wilkinson P, Doherty JF, Jarman PR. Neuroschistosomiasis presenting as brainstem encephalitis. Neurology. 2008;70:2262-4.
- Cranial Nerves Chapter. In Queen Square Textbook of Neurology, Published 2009.
- Neurology Therapeutics Chapter. In: Kumar and Clark's Handbook of Medical Therapeutics (published 2011).
- Neurology chapter. In Kumar and Clark's Clinical Medicine 8th Edition 2012.