Dr Howard is consultant neurologist at The National Hospital, Queen Square and St. Thomas’ Hospital, senior lecturer at The Institute of Neurology, University College and King’s College and honorary civilian adviser to The Royal Navy. He qualified from Cambridge University and The Middlesex Hospital in 1980, undertook training in Oxford and London and was appointed to his present post in 1992. He is head of service for a large general neurological practice at St. Thomas’ and neurologist to three intensive care units.
He is a senior editor and contributor to ‘Neurology – A Queen Square textbook’, the author of 150 papers and a contributor to 25 textbooks on neurology. His major specialty interests include neuromuscular diseases including myasthenia gravis, motor neurone disease, post-polio syndrome and sleep disorders.
Neurology of general medicine
Motor Neurone Disease
Myasthenia Gravis and related conditions
Late complications of poliomyelitis
- Clarke C, Howard R, Rossoe M, Shorvon S (Editors). Neurology – A Queen Square Textbook. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford 1st edition, 2009
- Howard RS Rudd AG. Post Stroke pain. In Pain Medicine Manual. Eds. SJ Dolin & NL Padfield. Butterworth Heinemann, Edinburgh. 2nd edition. 2004; 235-24
- Zeman A, Britton T, Douglas N, Hansen A, Hicks J, Howard R, Meredith A, Smith I, Stores G, Wilson S, Zaiwalla Z. Narcolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness. BMJ 2004;329:724-8.
- Parker AE, Robb SA, Chambers J, Davidson AC, Evans K, O'Dowd J, Williams AJ, Howard, RS. Analysis of an adult Duchenne muscular dystrophy population. QJM 2005;98:729-36.
- Z'Graggen WJ, Lin CS, Howard RS, Beale RJ, Bostock H. Nerve excitability changes in critical illness polyneuropathy. Brain. 2006 Sep;129(Pt 9):2461-70.
- Davies NW, Sharief MK, Howard RS. Infection-associated encephalopathies: their investigation, diagnosis, and treatment. J Neurol. 2006 Jul;253(7):833-45.
- Farbu E, Gilhus NE, Barnes NP, Borg MP, de Visser M, Dreissen A, Howard R, Nollet F, Opara J, Stalberg E. EFNS guideline on diagnosis and management of post-polio syndrome. Report of an EFNS task force. European Journal of Neurology 2006; 13: 795-801.
- Orrell RW, Clarke J, Howard RS. Standards of care in Motor Neurone Disease. In: The Motor Neurone Disease Handbook. Ed: Kiernan MC. Pub: MJA Books 2007; 74-89
- Howard RS. Neurological problems on the ICU. Clinical Medicine 2007; 7: 148-153
- Howard RS, Tan SV, Z’Graggen WJ. Weakness on the intensive care unit. Practical Neurology 2008; 8(5): 280-295
- Howard RS, Holmes PA, Koutroumanidis MA. Hypoxic-Ischaemic brain injury. Practical Neurology 2011; 11 (1): 4-18.