Dr Sam Bampoe trained in medicine at Imperial College London where he also completed an undergraduate degree in neuroscience. He trained in anaesthesia in the London Academy of Anaesthesia before joining UCLH as a consultant.
His sub-specialty clinical interests include perioperative medicine, obstetric anaesthesia, anaesthesia for major surgery, anaesthesia for head and neck surgery and enhanced recovery. He undertook a postgraduate master's degree in perioperative medicine at University College London. He is the Co-founder and Chair of Trainees with an Interest in Perioperative Medicine (TRIPOM) which is part of the Evidence Based Perioperative Medicine (EBPOM) group.
Dr Bampoe's research interests include the prevention of epidural migration in labour, maternal haemodynamics in labour and awareness under general anaesthesia in obstetrics. He also has an interest in systematic reviews and is a Cochrane author.
- Prolonged motor block following epidural anaesthesia: A proposed pathway for investigation and management to facilitate rapid MRI scanning to exclude vertebral canal haematoma. Bampoe, S; De Silva, S; Scott, M. Journal of Perioperative Practice, Volume 27, Numbers 1-2, January/February 2017, pp. 20-24(5)
- Intraoperative haemodynamic monitoring during high-risk caesarean section: a comparison between bioreactance (NICOM R) and pressure waveform analysis (LidCOrapidR): preliminary results. Vinayagam D, Bampoe S, Thilaganathan B, Khalil A. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016 Aug;29(sup2):34.
- Intrapartum epidural fixation methods: a randomised controlled trial of three different epidural catheter securement devices P. M. Odor, S. Bampoe, J Hayward, I. Chis Ster, E. Evans ?Anaesthesia – 2016 Mar;71(3):298-305
- Harnessing the power of networks – the future of perioperative research Bampoe S, Odor P, Walker D. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016 Jun;77(6):320-1.
- The development of a protocolised pathway and checklist for the management of post-dural puncture headache.Bampoe S, Butcher M, Evans E. Int. J Obstetric Anaesthesia. May 2016; 26(S1): S23
- LockIt Plus reduces the rate of failed epidural analgesia and increases maternal satisfaction.?Bampoe S, Odor P, Johnston C, Evans E. Int. J Obstetric Anaesthesia. May 2016; 26(S1): S67
- Patient perspectives of enhanced recovery: the development of a 'patient passport' and an evaluation of its impact on mothers' experiences.?Dua K, Bampoe S, Evans E. Int. J Obstetric Anaesthesia. May 2016; 26(S1): S34
- Physicians' assistants in anaesthesia: colleagues or competitors? Bampoe, S. British Journal of Hospital Medicine (Lond). 2015 Oct;76(10):610. doi: 10.12968/hmed.2015.76.10.610.
- Magnetic resonance imaging safety of surgical clips and staples. Bampoe S, De Silva S, Scott M.?Anaesthesia. 2015 Dec;70(12):1463. doi: 10.1111/anae.13289