Stuart Bloom has been a consultant gastroenterologist at UCLH since 1996. Stuart studied medicine at Oxford and St Thomas’s and trained in general Medicine and gastroenterology in Oxford and Liverpool. He was an MRC training fellow at the Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford, and was awarded his doctorate for work on adhesion molecules in the gastrointestinal tract.
He was clinical director of gastroenterology at UCLH from 2001-2006 and was chair of the inflammatory bowel disease section of the British Society of Gastroenterology from 2006 to 2009. He was chair of the consultants committee at UCLH from 2008 - 2010.
In March 2008 he was appointed GI specialty lead for the central and east London comprehensive research network and from 2008-2013 he was national GI specialty lead to the UK clinical research network. He is currently chair of the UK IBD Registry.
His key interests are research into gut inflammation, the clinical care of patients with inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students, and in progressing electronic health records.
General gastroenterology, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohns and colitis), irritable bowel syndrome, endoscopy and bowel cancer screening
- Practical Gastroenterology. Stuart Bloom, ed. Published by Martin Dunitz, 2002 (680 pp). ISBN: 978-1-84184-121-2
- Oxford Handbook of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2nd Ed. Stuart Bloom, George Webster, Daniel Marks. Published by Oxford University Press, 2011 (648 pp). ISBN-13: 978-0199584079 (the Oxford Handbook of Gastroenterology is the best selling textbook in its class. A third edition is in preparation as well as an American editio)
- Briskin M, Winsor-Hines D, Shyjan A, Cochran N, Bloom S, Wilson J, McEvoy LM, Butcher EC, Kassam N, Mackay CR, Newman W, Ringler DJ. Human mucosal addressin cell adhesion molecule-1 is preferentially expressed in intestinal tract and associated lymphoid tissue. American Journal of Pathology 1997;151:97?110
- Marks DJB, Harbord MWN, MacAllister R, Rahman FZ, Young J, Al-Lazikani B, Lees W, Novelli M, Bloom S, Segal AW. Defective acute inflammation in Crohn’s disease: a clinical investigation. Lancet 2006;367:668?678
- Rahman FZ, Marks DJ, Hayee BH, Smith AM, Bloom SL, Segal AW. Phagocyte dysfunction and inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2008;14:1443?52
- Smith AM, Rahman FZ, Hayee B, Graham SJ, Marks DJ, Sewell GW, Palmer CD, Wilde J, Foxwell BM, Gloger IS, Sweeting T, Marsh M, Walker AP, Bloom SL, Segal AW. Disordered macrophage cytokine secretion underlies impaired acute inflammation and bacterial clearance in Crohn's disease. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2009 Aug 31;206(9):1883-97. Epub 2009 Aug 3.
- Rahman FZ, Smith AM, Hayee B, Marks DJ, Bloom SL, Segal AW. Delayed resolution of acute inflammation in ulcerative colitis is associated with elevated cytokine release downstream of TLR4. PLoS One 2010;5(3):e9891.
- Bloom SL. Registries in chronic disease: coming your way soon? Rheumatology 2011;50(1):4-5
- Mowat C, Cole A, Windsor A, Ahmad T, Arnott I, Driscoll R, Mitton S, Orchard T, Rutter M, Younge L, Lees C, Ho GT, Satsangi J, Bloom S; IBD Section of the British Society of Gastroenterology. Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults. Gut 2011 May;60(5):571-607
- Jacklin C, Cummings F, Bodger K, Williams JG, Hyrich K, Garner S, Bloom S. Roundtable on registries: practical considerations for registries – making them work, London, UK, 26 January 2017 [Meeting report]. Generics and Biosimilars Initiative Journal (GaBI Journal) 2017;6(3):122-34.