Dr Teng-Teng Chung joined UCLH as a consultant physician in diabetes and endocrinology in 2012. She qualified in Medicine from the University of Sydney. Her core training in Endocrinology and Diabetes was based at St Bartholomew’s and the Royal London Hospitals. She completed her higher specialist Endocrinology, Diabetes and General Medicine training in 2012. She secured a Medical Research Council fellowship in 2007 and completed her PhD in Adrenal Molecular Endocrinology at Barts and the London School of Medicine, QMUL in 2009. She was then awarded a NIHR Clinical Lectureship at Barts and the London in 2010 to further her research in adrenal cancer.
Dr Chung manages patients with all aspects of endocrine disease. She is the lead for the adult thyroid service and conducts dedicated general thyroid clinics and is also involved in the management of thyroid disease in pregnancy. She is the joint lead for the adrenal service and oversees the adrenal MDT. Her interests are endocrine related hypertension including primary hyperaldosteronism, phaeochromocytoma, inherited adrenal tumours and adrenal cancer. Her general endocrine interest includes pituitary tumours, parathyroid disease and calcium disorders.
She is also the clinical governance lead for diabetes and endocrinology.
She was awarded fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians (London) in 2019.
Role of adrenal stem cells in adrenocortical cancer, diagnosis and management of primary hyperaldosteronism, genetics in pituitary tumours (member of FIPA consortium), parathyroid disease
- O’Toole S, Sze C, Chung TT, Akker SA, Druce M, Waterhouse M, Pitkin S, Dawnay A, Sahdev A, Matson M, Parvanta L, Drake WM. Low grade cortisol co-secretion has limited impact on ACTH-stimulated AVS parameters in primary aldosteronism Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2020 105(10): 1-9.
- Hadjidemetriou I, Mariniello K, Ruiz-Babot G, Pittaway J, Mancini A, Mariannis D, Gomez-Sanchez CE, Parvanta L, Drake WM, Chung TT, Abdel-Aziz TE, DiMarco A, Palazzo FF, Wierman ME6, Kiseljak-Vassiliades K, King PJ, Guasti L. DLK1/PREF1 marks a novel cell population in the human adrenal cortex. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2019 Oct;193
- Riaz S, Syed R, Abdel-Aziz T, Alnaim A, Chung TT, Wan S, Kurzawinski TR, Bomanji J. The value of 18F-FDG PET-CT and 131I-norcholesterol scintigraphy in the characterisation of high-risk adrenal masses. Nuclear Medicine Communications. 2019 Dec Epub.
- Chung TT, Gunganah K, Monson JP, Drake WM. Circadian variation in serum cortisol during hydrocortisone replacement is not attributable to changes in cortisol-binding globulin concentrations. Clinical Endocrinology 2016 Apr;84(4)
- Menon RK, Ferrau F, Kurzawinski TR, Rumsby G, Freeman A, Amin Z, Korbonits M, Chung TT. Adrenal cancer in neurofibromatosis type 1: Case Report and DNA Analysis. Endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism case reports 2014; 2014:140074
- Nadarasa K, Theodoraki A, Kurzawinski TR, Carpenter R, Bull J, Chung TT, Drake WM. Denosumab for management of refractory hypercalcaemia in recurrent parathyroid carcinoma European journal of Endocrinology 2014; 171:3
- Druce M, Chung TT, Grozinsky-Glasberg S, Gross DJ, Grossman AB. Preliminary report of the use of everolimus in a patient with progressive medullary thyroid carcinoma. Clinical Endocrinology 2012; 77(1): 154-5
- Cooray SN, Chung TT, Mazhar K, Szidonya L, Clark AJ. Bioluminescence Resonance Energy Transfer reveals the Adrenocorticotropin (ACTH)-induced conformational change of the activated ACTH receptor complex in living cell. Endocrinology 2011; 152(2): 495-502.
- Chung TT, Drake WM, Plowman PN, Metcalfe K, Grossman AB, Akker SA, Chew SL, Besser GM, Walker DM, Koltowska-Haggstrom M, Wilton P, Mattsson AF, Monson JP. No clear evidence for an association between growth hormone replacement and relapse of intracranial germ cell tumours – single centre and KIMS experience. Eur J Endocrinol 2010;163: 357-358.
- Hughes CR, Chung TT, Habeb AM, Kelestimur F, Clark AJL, Metherell LA. Missense Mutations in the Melanocortin Receptor Accessory Protein that lead to Late Onset Familial Glucocorticoid Deficiency type 2. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2010 95: 3497-3501.
- Chung TT, Chan LF, Metherell LA, Clark AJL. Phenotypic Characteristics of Familial glucocorticoid deficiency type 1and 2. Clinical Endocrinology 2009 72(5):589-94.
- Clark AJ, Chan LF, Chung TT, Metherell LA. The genetics of Familial glucocorticoid deficiency. Best Practice & Research Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2009 Apr; 23(2): 159-65.
- Chan LF, Webb TR, Chung TT, Cooray SN, Guasti L, Chapple JP, Elphick MR, Cheetham ME, Metherell LA, Clark AJL.MRAP and MRAP2 are bidirectional regulators of the Melanocortin receptor family. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 2009 Apr 14;106(15):6146-51.
- *Chan LF, *Chung TT, Massoud AF, Metherell LA, Clark AJL. Functional consequence of a novel Y129C mutation in a patient with two contradictory MC2R mutations. European Journal of Endocrinology 2009 Apr;160(4):705-10. * equal first author
- Chung TT, Webb TR, Chan LF, Cooray SN, Metherell LA, King PJ, Chapple JP, Clark AJL. The majority of ACTH receptor (MC2R) mutations found in Familial Glucocorticoid Deficiency type 1 lead to defective trafficking of the receptor to the cell surface. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2008 93: 4948-4954.
- Higham CE, Chung TT, Lawrance J, Drake WM, Trainer PJ. Long term experience of pegvisomant therapy as a treatment for acromegaly. Clinical Endocrinology (Oxf) 2008; 71(1):86-91.
- Chung TT, Evanson J, Walker D, Besser GM, Akker SA, Grossman AB, Monson JP and Drake WM. Safety of growth hormone replacement in patients with non-irradiated pituitary and peri-pituitary tumours. Clinical Endocrinology 2008 68:965-969.
- Chung TT, Drake WM, Evanson J, Walker D, Plowman PN, Chew SL, Grossman AB, Besser GM & Monson JP. Tumour surveillance imaging in patients with extrapituitary tumours receiving growth hormone replacement. Clinical Endocrinology 2005 63: 274-279.
Selected book chapters:
- Chung TT, Koch CA, Monson JP. Hypopituitarism in "Neuroendocrinology and pituitary disease" In: Feingold KR, Anawalt B, Boyce A, Chrousos G, Dungan K, Grossman A, Hershman JM, Kaltsas G, Koch C, Kopp P, Korbonits M, McLachlan R, Morley JE, New M, Perreault L, Purnell J, Rebar R, Singer F, Trence DL, Vinik A, Wilson DP, editors. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc.; 2000-. 2018 Jul 25.
- Chung TT, Grossman AB, AJL Clark. Chapter 101: Adrenal insufficiency P1853-1863 in “Endocrinology Adult and Pediatric”, 6th edition, 2010. edited by JL Jameson and LJ De Groot. Publisher: Saunders Elsevier.